Welcome Luke Goedeke

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
The Outsider

Re: Welcome Luke Goedeke

Post by The Outsider »

The Outsider wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:09 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm That's really what it comes down to with this pick. JL has more than earned his cred and trust in this area. And the dude reaks of a Licht guy through and through.

Maybe he's a plug and play starter. If not it's because Stinnie is playing playoff well, which is a win in itself. Undersung is that we can even kick him out to RT should Wirfs get hurt again and possibly avoid another disasterous Wells showing.
Yeah if Goedeke loses out to Stinnie it's because Stinnie is playing his ass off. No knock on Stinnie as an athlete but based on his numbers and the tape I've seen Goedeke has a rare level of athleticism that you don't usually see in OGs. He's so quick for someone his size and he plays with every bit of power that he has.
Just turns out he has no idea, technically, how to play on the interior.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Seems like Cole Strange was the small(ish) school OG that blew up from this class. Except Pats nabbed him in the first.
Nano

Post by Nano »

Know he's just a rookie, but he may be one of the worst guards I've ever seen. This is going to be one big project.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Lol
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:32 pm
Moozician wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:18 pm Was this guy a BPA? Why trade up 3 spots to get him?
Because Licht loves reminding us that he likes getting his ass handed to him in draft day trades.
*YAWN*
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Hopefully by next year he comes in prepared physically and mentally.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Hopefully next year he isn’t a starter
MJW

Post by MJW »

Heisenberg wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:42 pm Hopefully next year he isn’t a starter
TBF, he should not have been starting this year. He had big Alex Cappa energy. Alex Cappa got a redshirt year. Goedeke needed one. But Licht didn't have a Plan B.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nano

Post by Nano »

MJW wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:19 am
Heisenberg wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:42 pm Hopefully next year he isn’t a starter
TBF, he should not have been starting this year. He had big Alex Cappa energy. Alex Cappa got a redshirt year. Goedeke needed one. But Licht didn't have a Plan B.
To be fair, not sure that plan B really works when we got as injured as we did. We lost our center early so the swiss army knife linemen has to be the starting center this year. Then Stinnie tears his ACL which means Goedeke wins by default. Season starts and maybe you move someone else ove- oh wait now the LT is injured, and oh yeah, his backup just got injured in the next game. No plan B would've prepared us for right for this season
Kress

Post by Kress »

This year will either make him one tough SOB, experienced beyond his years, or it will absolutely break him. Either/Or.

I still think he will pan out okay..... eventually.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Kress wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:33 am This year will either make him one tough SOB, experienced beyond his years, or it will absolutely break him. Either/Or.

I still think he will pan out okay..... eventually.
If you see the interview in the beginning of the thread you can see he was already a tough SOB in college so the potential is there so I'm with you on him panning out. Right now though I think he needs to sit out a few games and learn the playbook (or whatever constructive thing rookie OL can do on the sidelines)
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:48 pm

Because Licht loves reminding us that he likes getting his ass handed to him in draft day trades.
*YAWN*
Vita worked out well. Wirfs is decent. Sweeping statements can't be made.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:40 am

*YAWN*
No arguments there. Both have turned out fine. But I don't recall either being platooned 7 games into their careers either.
nybf

Post by nybf »

*YAWN*
Sweeping statements can be made, you just have to move the goalposts when you get called on it.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:41 am

No arguments there. Both have turned out fine. But I don't recall either being platooned 7 games into their careers either.
He just needs moar thyme
Kona

Post by Kona »

Dude was a TE turned RT at a small school who was thrust into the starting LG position before he was ready. As others have stated injuries put us in this position and it sucks for likely Brady’s final year to be in this position, but here we are.

I do think he’ll turn out to be a decent starter eventually, but it wasn’t this year.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean, despite the usual fan rookie hype, Goedeke was never supposed to be Plan A. Not even a little.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Kress wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:33 am This year will either make him one tough SOB, experienced beyond his years, or it will absolutely break him.
Looks like "one tough SOB, experienced beyond his years" is the more plausible option compared to the other.

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

*YAWN*
Maybe you should be more patient?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:46 pm

*YAWN*

Maybe you should lay off the LSD and snap back to reality.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:46 pm

The reality that Licht’s linemen selections seem to make large leaps in their second seasons. Am I making this up?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 pm

The reality that Licht’s linemen selections seem to make large leaps in their second seasons. Am I making this up?
Care to reference or are you gonna continue being purposely vague?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:44 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm

What was not clear in what Grahamburn said?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:44 pm

The "reality" that linemen Licht draft make leaps from year 1 to 2. It's something he just said to say without any validity to it.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:00 pm
13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm

The "reality" that linemen Licht draft make leaps from year 1 to 2. It's something he just said to say without any validity to it.
Please, provide us some evidence.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:00 pm

That's what I've been asking @Grahamburn but he's yet to provide any. Maybe he will now that you're asking for the same.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:15 pm

That's what I've been asking @Grahamburn but he's yet to provide any. Maybe he will now that you're asking for the same.
No, no. I was asking you to provide some. Why would you ask someone else to provide some if you can't do the same?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Licht has drafted 3 small school linemen in his tenure. All 3 have been good to great in their sophomore season.

Will that be the case with Mauch? I can’t really say with 100% certainty, but I also don’t know how you can continue to act like there’s no way he can improve when it has already worked 3 times.

I bumped this thread for the sake of irony because you did the same thing with Goedeke last year that you’re doing with Mauch.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 am

Licht has drafted 3 small school linemen in his tenure. All 3 have been good to great in their sophomore season.

Will that be the case with Mauch? I can’t really say with 100% certainty, but I also don’t know how you can continue to act like there’s no way he can improve when it has already worked 3 times.

I bumped this thread for the sake of irony because you did the same thing with Goedeke last year that you’re doing with Mauch.
Gonna assume Marpet, Cappa, and Goedeke?

Marpet was great from the start. His worst didn't come until we tried him out at Center.

Cappa barely played his rookie year. 106 snaps total over 6 games. His 2nd year he was the worst Olinemen on this team. His 3rd year he was the worst Olinemen on this team. In fact when he got hurt in the playoffs, Aaron Stinnie filled in and did much better than Cappa did, which helped us win the SB. His 4th and final season here he was finally admirable but still nothing special. We let him walk.

Goedeke did better His 2nd season AFTER we moved him back to his natural tackle position. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Thing with Mauch is, as many have pointed out and explained, he doesn't appear to have the girth or technical prowess to play G. He was mostly embarrassed in the run game because he's terrible getting leverage against stronger, stouter IDL players. I think he would fair better at OT. Problem is short of giving Wirfs' or Goedeke's spot there's nowhere for him to go.

I say that to say this. Many of us who watch the games and know what we're seeing have provided numerous explanations as to the limitations and problems Mauch has playing G. Your explanation is "be patient" and "Licht's Olinemen do better in year 2". You don't know how or why Mauch would be better in year 2. You don't even know the tools he possesses that would make him better in year 2. Ironically enough Mauch has some of the same issues Goedeke had playing guard. Lacks girth, doesn't redirect well at all. We saw that and moved Goedeke. Might need to do the same with Mauch.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So what 3rd round rookie takes his place?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am So what 3rd round rookie takes his place?
There's like a 99% chance Licht drafts Mason McCormick.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am So what 3rd round rookie takes his place?
There's like a 99% chance Licht drafts Mason McCormick.

Well, I asked Kaimaru cuz I was curious if his gluteus maximus could matter.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 am
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 am

Marpet was great from the start. His worst didn't come until we tried him out at Center.

Cappa barely played his rookie year. 106 snaps total over 6 games. His 2nd year he was the worst Olinemen on this team. His 3rd year he was the worst Olinemen on this team. In fact when he got hurt in the playoffs, Aaron Stinnie filled in and did much better than Cappa did, which helped us win the SB. His 4th and final season here he was finally admirable but still nothing special. We let him walk.

Goedeke did better His 2nd season AFTER we moved him back to his natural tackle position. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Thing with Mauch is, as many have pointed out and explained, he doesn't appear to have the girth or technical prowess to play G. He was mostly embarrassed in the run game because he's terrible getting leverage against stronger, stouter IDL players. I think he would fair better at OT. Problem is short of giving Wirfs' or Goedeke's spot there's nowhere for him to go.

I say that to say this. Many of us who watch the games and know what we're seeing have provided numerous explanations as to the limitations and problems Mauch has playing G. Your explanation is "be patient" and "Licht's Olinemen do better in year 2". You don't know how or why Mauch would be better in year 2. You don't even know the tools he possesses that would make him better in year 2. Ironically enough Mauch has some of the same issues Goedeke had playing guard. Lacks girth, doesn't redirect well at all. We saw that and moved Goedeke. Might need to do the same with Mauch.
So, Marpet was great.

Cappa was good enough to start on a championship caliber offensive line in his 2nd season and then receive a big free agency contract.

Goedeke was good in his 2nd year.

Mauch's profile always had him moving inside and we should expect he'd struggle with that in his rookie season.

3 for 3 with the possibility of 4 for 4. Pretty good track record. Glad we're on the same page now.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 am

So, Marpet was great.

Cappa was good enough to start on a championship caliber offensive line in his 2nd season and then receive a big free agency contract.

Goedeke was good in his 2nd year.

Mauch's profile always had him moving inside and we should expect he'd struggle with that in his rookie season.

3 for 3 with the possibility of 4 for 4. Pretty good track record. Glad we're on the same page now.
Again, there you are with delusion. Details do matter or at least they should. That's why decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

The only piece here worth discussing is Mauch's profile. He's short armed, yes. But he's very slender and lanky. And wasn't seen as being very strong in his base. That's not one who profiles to move inside. What about Mauch makes you think he projects as a quality G at the NFL level?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

"Many of us who watch the games and know what we're seeing"

ROFLOL

You just excluded yourself.

I am not sure why you wanted to give Jameis more time, but don't want to give Mauch more time. Could you explain that?