Welcome to Tampa Randy Gregory!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BJJ34

Welcome to Tampa Randy Gregory!

Post by BJJ34 »

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... -with-bucs
The Buccaneers have agreed to a one-year deal with edge rusher Randy Gregory, the team announced.

The Seahawks are among other teams that had interest in Gregory, who joins his fourth team in four years. The Broncos traded him to the 49ers last season, and he played 12 regular-season games and all three postseason games with San Francisco.

In seven seasons and 72 games with the Cowboys, Broncos and 49ers, Gregory has recorded 22 sacks, 69 quarterback hits and 27 tackles for loss.

The Buccaneers needed help at outside linebacker after releasing Shaquil Barrett in a salary-cap move last month. Joe Tryon-Shoyinka, a first-round pick in 2021, and Yaya Diaby, who led the team in sacks as a rookie, are expected to start in 2024. Gregory will share rotation snaps, with Anthony Nelson, Markees Watts and Jose Ramirez other edge rushers currently on the roster.
BuccaNOLEer

Re: Welcome to Tampa Randy Gregory!

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

He's had his moments. Unfortunately, his career was tainted early on with failed drug tests and he's never been able to shake that rep. That's why he's bounced around
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Randy Gregory has 20.5 sacks in 7 seasons, can't stay on the field because he's either injured or smoking weed or suspended for being a knucklehead. The Broncos signed him to a $70 million contract two years ago and cut him after 10 games (only six of which were starts) and a grand total of 3 sacks. He also got a cup of coffee and a sack with San Fran last year while chasing a ring.

He may not make it out of training camp, and I hope he doesn't.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

With all those issues I wonder why we bothered?
I said what I said

Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 pm With all those issues I wonder why we bothered?
Team lacked a veteran edge with Shaq now in South Beach. It fills a role on the roster but I still think the team is looking to the future there. This is bargain bin shopping after the more high profile edges signed elsewhere.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cheb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 pm Randy Gregory has 20.5 sacks in 7 seasons, can't stay on the field because he's either injured or smoking weed or suspended for being a knucklehead. The Broncos signed him to a $70 million contract two years ago and cut him after 10 games (only six of which were starts) and a grand total of 3 sacks. He also got a cup of coffee and a sack with San Fran last year while chasing a ring.

It speaks to the state of our edge rushers that he might make it out of training camp. Maybe we will get lucky and one of the elite edges fall to us
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Throw in the fact that he's 31 and has never been good. Right now I'd say he's the 5th best EDGE rusher on this team.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:38 pm Randy Gregory has 20.5 sacks in 7 seasons, can't stay on the field because he's either injured or smoking weed or suspended for being a knucklehead. The Broncos signed him to a $70 million contract two years ago and cut him after 10 games (only six of which were starts) and a grand total of 3 sacks. He also got a cup of coffee and a sack with San Fran last year while chasing a ring.

Broncos gonna Bronco.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Not much enthusiasm for this player.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:45 am Not much enthusiasm for this player.
About as much as any of the other just a guys they have signed.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... incentives
Veteran pass rusher Randy Gregory has joined the Buccaneers. The terms of the deal have now emerged.

Per a source with knowledge of the term, it has a base value of $3 million with up to $2 million available in incentives.

Of the base amount, $2.49 million is fully guaranteed. The deal has $510,000 in per-game active roster bonuses.

The triggers for the incentives are 40-percent and 50-percent playing time, and six, eight, and 10 sacks.

Gregory was a second-round pick of the Cowboys in 2015. He signed with the Broncos in 2022 and was traded to the 49ers during the 2023 season.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Assuming the $2.5mil is a true guarantee, this is likely a complete waste of money.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

OBP is treating this like it's a major signing, which means they likely plan for him to start. There's a press conference scheduled for today.

#Itsabucslife
Last edited by Bootz on Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lordnlkon

Post by Lordnlkon »

I mean you always hope someone on the roster is going to contribute but I just don’t see it.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:52 pm OBP is treating this like it's a major signing, which means they likely plan for him to start. There's a press conference scheduled for today.

#Itsabucslife
This should have been a non guaranteed triggered by making 53 man roster. This one makes little sense. Not a ton of money or cap space but still a waste.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:15 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:52 pm OBP is treating this like it's a major signing, which means they likely plan for him to start. There's a press conference scheduled for today.

#Itsabucslife
This should have been a non guaranteed triggered by making 53 man roster. This one makes little sense. Not a ton of money or cap space but still a waste.
Very little sense.

We had about $2.5mil in cap space before this signing. Meaning Licht likely used void years for this deal.

Head scratcher for sure.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Oh, so we only have 2 million left in cap space?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:55 pm Oh, so we only have 2 million left in cap space?
We had $2.5mil left before this deal according to Spotrac.com. Less now.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:22 pm
Phantom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:55 pm Oh, so we only have 2 million left in cap space?
At least 916k will be pushed off the dollars against the cap since he will move the 52nd contract off the ledger, so there may not be void years
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:22 pm

At least 916k will be pushed off the dollars against the cap since he will move the 52nd contract off the ledger, so there may not be void years
Ah yes! You're right. And now that I think of it, we will still likely restructure some other large contract(s) because we have to account for draft picks.
Ken

Post by Ken »

My Buc fan workmate and I both scratched our head at the fact they had a presser for this signing. I don't think he's a starter on this team, but it means we've at least brought in someone to replace Shaq on the depth chart and there is another body for competition.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He was with George Edwards (OLBs coach) in Dallas. Obviously had his best seasons there.
Gregory recalled a pre-draft meeting he had with head coach Todd Bowles that stuck with him.

“I actually spoke with Coach, I remember coming out of college during the draft and speaking with him a bunch,” Randy Gregory said. “Loved his personality, loved his down-to-Earth demeanor, no-nonsense type of guy. I think I always thrive well when I work with coaches like that.”

While Randy Gregory is new to many on the Bucs, he does have a familiar face in outside linebackers coach George Edwards. The two worked together with the Dallas Cowboys when Edwards was a defensive assistant. In the 2021 season, Gregory tied his career best with six sacks on the season in 12 games. He also recorded an interception and a career-best three forced fumbles.

“Coach Edwards I worked with him obviously in Dallas, I have a relationship there,” Gregory said. “I think highly of him.”

Tampa Bay isn’t just getting a pass rusher with the addition of Gregory. The team is getting a player that can fit in many different ways in Todd Bowles’ scheme. Bowles loves to present various exotic looks and use his edge rushers in many ways, even dropping them in coverage in zone blitzes.

“I think the ability as far as the schemes and what we do, I fit will there,” Gregory said. “I can play inside, outside, on third down, things like that, stand up, put my hand down in the dirt. To be able to play in a 3-4, 4-3 scheme, do a couple different things there, drop in coverage – it’s all stuff I’ve done in Dallas and Denver and San Francisco. For me, it was a real good spot to land in.”
-Pewter Report
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:14 am My Buc fan workmate and I both scratched our head at the fact they had a presser for this signing. I don't think he's a starter on this team, but it means we've at least brought in someone to replace Shaq on the depth chart and there is another body for competition.
He's seemingly never been a consistent starter. He's played in 72 career games but started just 18 total. Most snaps he's had during a season is 457 in 2018. For context, had he reached that number on the Bucs last season he would've had the 4th most snaps of our OLBs behind Shaq(652), JTS (579), and Yaya (515). Yaya at 515 snaps played about 45% of the Bucs defensive snaps. Doesn't feel as though we expect much.

I highly doubt at this stage of his career Gregory will eclipse those numbers and if he does, the data suggests that won't be a good thing for us.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:12 am
Ken wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:14 am My Buc fan workmate and I both scratched our head at the fact they had a presser for this signing. I don't think he's a starter on this team, but it means we've at least brought in someone to replace Shaq on the depth chart and there is another body for competition.
He's seemingly never been a consistent starter. He's played in 72 career games but started just 18 total. Most snaps he's had during a season is 457 in 2018. For context, had he reached that number on the Bucs last season he would've had the 4th most snaps of our OLBs behind Shaq(652), JTS (579), and Yaya (515). Yaya at 515 snaps played about 45% of the Bucs defensive snaps. Doesn't feel as though we expect much.

I highly doubt at this stage of his career Gregory will eclipse those numbers and if he does, the data suggests that won't be a good thing for us.
Snap count of 44.63% in 2018 results in 6 sacks. He didn't play in 2019. 24.46% snap count in 2020 results in 3.5 sacks. 37.97% snap count in 2021 results in 6 sacks. Uh that is a lot more productive than you are acting. If in 2020 he had as many snaps as in 2018, he would have had 6.5 sacks. That shows consistency which you are dismissing. He is no Shaq, but we can (and in JTS do) have a worse edge rusher
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:43 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:12 am

Snap count of 44.63% in 2018 results in 6 sacks. He didn't play in 2019. 24.46% snap count in 2020 results in 3.5 sacks. 37.97% snap count in 2021 results in 6 sacks. Uh that is a lot more productive than you are acting. If in 2020 he had as many snaps as in 2018, he would have had 6.5 sacks. That shows consistency which you are dismissing. He is no Shaq, but we can (and in JTS do) have a worse edge rusher
You're saying Randy Gregory has been a consistent player in his career?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Maybe we could get a good season out of him.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:20 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:43 pm

In the span of three seasons in Dallas, he went from a sack every 7.44% snaps played to 6.99% to 6.32% played. If that isn't consistent improvement then I can't explain that to you. Compare that to JTS's sack every 10.28% of snaps played which was all I was saying. He will play and we clearly have worse on the team
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:33 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:20 pm

In the span of three seasons in Dallas, he went from a sack every 7.44% snaps played to 6.99% to 6.32% played. If that isn't consistent improvement then I can't explain that to you. Compare that to JTS's sack every 10.28% of snaps played which was all I was saying. He will play and we clearly have worse on the team
You've purposely set a low bar by comparing him to JTS. If that's who he's comparable to, that doesn't stimulate much confidence here at all.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:33 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:33 pm

You've purposely set a low bar by comparing him to JTS. If that's who he's comparable to, that doesn't stimulate much confidence here at all.
How about this. His last season with his Dallas position coach which is his current position coach, he had a sack every 6.32% of his snaps. Diaby had one every 6.10% of his snaps. Can you not agree Diaby was our best OLB last year? The bar is low? Of course it is. Look at who we have at edge rusher right now? Does that make you feel better that was real close to Diaby is last year at Dallas?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:48 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:33 pm

How about this. His last season with his Dallas position coach which is his current position coach, he had a sack every 6.32% of his snaps. Diaby had one every 6.10% of his snaps. Can you not agree Diaby was our best OLB last year? The bar is low? Of course it is. Look at who we have at edge rusher right now? Does that make you feel better that was real close to Diaby is last year at Dallas?
Not really when you consider that was 3 seasons ago. Are you saying he's going to turn back the clock?

Also George Edwards was NOT his position coach in Dallas. He was a defensive assistant. But that was for the defense as a whole. So that's a very faulty correlation people are using in order to try and make this signing seem better than it is.