Welcome Ko Kieft!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
nybf

Re: Welcome Ko Kieft!

Post by nybf »

Moozician wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:44 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 am Where's the welcome mat for TE Ben Beise Wisconsin - River Falls
Don't be a dumbass, mdb..
Snake

Post by Snake »

What are the odds that Kieft is on the Bucs roster for a third season? New OC. Team abandoned him as a pass option after week 1 last season. Well, even a pseudo option.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

He doesn't bring much to the table. Wouldn't shock me if we actually tried to invest in the position. Not just him, you can say the same about Cotton & Payne.
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:25 pm What are the odds that Kieft is on the Bucs roster for a third season? New OC. Team abandoned him as a pass option after week 1 last season. Well, even a pseudo option.
Ko played 20 snaps a game for us last season, which ain't much but it's something. And he's inexpensive, which also shouldn't be discounted.

I would imagine that he will be back on the team next season. Will he be TE2, who knows. Maybe he turns it on in year 3.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:09 am
Snake wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:25 pm What are the odds that Kieft is on the Bucs roster for a third season? New OC. Team abandoned him as a pass option after week 1 last season. Well, even a pseudo option.
Ko played 20 snaps a game for us last season, which ain't much but it's something. And he's inexpensive, which also shouldn't be discounted.

I would imagine that he will be back on the team next season. Will he be TE2, who knows. Maybe he turns it on in year 3.
To that point, ideally you would hope a player with that many snaps would be a lot more productive than 1 catch for 2 yards, a TD in "20 snaps/game". Now it wasn't actually 20 a game, he had 35 week 1 and didn't reach 20 snaps again until week 18 when we rested a ton of players.

Hes inexpensive because he's on a rookie contract as a 6th round pick. Finding a TE who can make 1 catch a year can be done for cheaper with another 6th round pick.

In reality all of the TEs on this team could stand to be knocked down the depth chart a peg or 2.
Most hated man in America.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:11 am

To that point, ideally you would hope a player with that many snaps would be a lot more productive than 1 catch for 2 yards, a TD in "20 snaps/game". Now it wasn't actually 20 a game, he had 35 week 1 and didn't reach 20 snaps again until week 18 when we rested a ton of players.

Hes inexpensive because he's on a rookie contract as a 6th round pick. Finding a TE who can make 1 catch a year can be done for cheaper with another 6th round pick.

In reality all of the TEs on this team could stand to be knocked down the depth chart a peg or 2.
The reason he fell to the sixth round is because he never was a pass catcher. He caught what, five passes in four years of college? He's a blocking TE. In other words, he's a role player. And he can remain that way on the cheap long after his rookie contract expires. They might want to try using him at fullback as well as the way he is built, he'd make a good battering ram for White.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I hope they can come up with a productive role for Ko. I'm not down on any of our TE's except choosing Wells because of experience and that wasnt a huge success. I'd like to see more of Tanner Taula in the upcoming camp also.

Maybe unpossible maybe not.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Unpossible huh
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:11 am

We didn’t rest anyone week 18 in a must win game. Not that it refutes anything else you posted.

He’s a good blocker in the run game. Or, at least he was in college and his rookie year. His contributions haven’t helped much from a production perspective.

I do think they’ll add to the room in some way. We could use a more impactful player in that department.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

You do wonder how many of those 20 snaps end up as runs. There’s definitely a little ginger blocker tip of the hand to the D when he’s on the field.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:45 am You do wonder how many of those 20 snaps end up as runs. There’s definitely a little ginger blocker tip of the hand to the D when he’s on the field.
I see people get scared about this sort of thing frequently around here, but a smart coach uses that to their advantage. Put in the Big Red Machine and if they hard commit to the run, burn them with playactions.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:24 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:45 am You do wonder how many of those 20 snaps end up as runs. There’s definitely a little ginger blocker tip of the hand to the D when he’s on the field.
I see people get scared about this sort of thing frequently around here, but a smart coach uses that to their advantage. Put in the Big Red Machine and if they hard commit to the run, burn them with playactions.
He can also play on the line on punts and have a blocking role in kickoffs as well. Just because he didn't catch passes doesn't mean he didn't contribute.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Might be TE 3. Licht only mentioned Otton and Payne Durham in a recent interview with the latter he said he hopes he takes the next step this year. That sounds like Ko is not well regarded on the team
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

kaimaru wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:53 pm

Might be TE 3. Licht only mentioned Otton and Payne Durham in a recent interview with the latter he said he hopes he takes the next step this year. That sounds like Ko is not well regarded on the team
Ko had his chances all season, most notably being wide open several times Week 1. Being a total blocking TE and no hands doesn't bode will in today's NFL. I suspect they might drop him and pick him up for PS in case he is needed in a pinch.
Bucsfan83

Post by Bucsfan83 »

Whatever happened to this guy? Shouldn't he technically be our #1 compared to the other TE's in our locker room?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:48 pm Whatever happened to this guy? Shouldn't he technically be our #1 compared to the other TE's in our locker room?
Just search his name. We’ve talked about him the last month or so on this forum. There’s a thread dedicated to the tight ends.
PaddyMcIrish

Post by PaddyMcIrish »

Bucsfan83 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:48 pm Whatever happened to this guy? Shouldn't he technically be our #1 compared to the other TE's in our locker room?
I honestly forgot he was on the team until he caught a touchdown pass. Another offensive pick underutilized and not put in a position to help us win. That's the Bowles era, ladies and gentlemen. Get used to it.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

PaddyMcIrish wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:21 am
I honestly forgot he was on the team until he caught a touchdown pass. Another offensive pick underutilized and not put in a position to help us win. That's the Bowles era, ladies and gentlemen. Get used to it.
Wtf? Did they ban your old username?
Don't tread on me