Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: Baker Mayfield: PAID

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:09 pm The way the deal was structured definitely has implications. The team isn’t sure he can do it all again.
Because if they were sure they totally would've given him a Kirk Cousins contract.... despite the market determining that isn't necessary.

So them not overpaying when they didn't have to is not a clear. and obvious savvy business... but in fact them sending him and the fanbase a coded message that they don't really-really believe in him. Wow. Okay.
You’re being intentionally obtuse. Yes the market determined that Baker was only worth 3/100M. That also means Baker hasn’t proven to the market he to be trusted long term at QB. That is all anyone is saying and it’s right.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:05 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm

Because if they were sure they totally would've given him a Kirk Cousins contract.... despite the market determining that isn't necessary.

So them not overpaying when they didn't have to is not a clear. and obvious savvy business... but in fact them sending him and the fanbase a coded message that they don't really-really believe in him. Wow. Okay.
The market implied the same exact thing. You proved my point.
And you just confessed.

At the end of the day it's not an implication of OBP but of the market. Which is fine. The market doesn't know him like we do. They are also wrong all the time, case and point when they all thought Brady was done, or literally countless other examples.

You want to say "no one else thinks he's pretty" that's fine. You can say that. And if that makes you insecure about your QB that's on you.
But we just paid Baker more than we ever paid Brady and I promise you we believed in Brady.

So you can save your weak "oh the contract structure tells me OBP knows he ain't it" nonsense.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Where do I get one of these upside down “Tampa” hats Baker was rocking at his PC.

Currently giving an interview on NFL Network.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This dude is here to win.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:32 pm Where do I get one of these upside down “Tampa” hats Baker was rocking at his PC.

pic?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:56 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:32 pm Where do I get one of these upside down “Tampa” hats Baker was rocking at his PC.

pic?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:01 pm

pic?
I was about to post never mind because I found it. Thanks
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I think it's custom made hat. You can get it from Lids.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

I don’t know who needs to see this but… (well, yes I do)

I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:03 pm I think it's custom made hat. You can get it from Lids.
Lids?

I haven’t heard that term since I was in high school.

Selling them.
I said what I said

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:31 pm
Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:03 pm I think it's custom made hat. You can get it from Lids.
Lids?

I haven’t heard that term since I was in high school.

Selling them.
https://www.lids.com/
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:01 pm

pic?
What a good speaker.
Don't tread on me
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

A year and a half ago (Oct. 2022) from Gary Davenport

“ But that's where they are. Mayfield isn't the answer under center. He's not even a marginal NFL starter.
The sooner the Panthers admit that and make a switch, the better off they will be—and the sooner they can focus on the quarterback class in the 2023 draft.”

I said what I said

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:12 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:05 pm

The market implied the same exact thing. You proved my point.
And you just confessed.

At the end of the day it's not an implication of OBP but of the market. Which is fine. The market doesn't know him like we do. They are also wrong all the time, case and point when they all thought Brady was done, or literally countless other examples.

You want to say "no one else thinks he's pretty" that's fine. You can say that. And if that makes you insecure about your QB that's on you.
But we just paid Baker more than we ever paid Brady and I promise you we believed in Brady.

So you can save your weak "oh the contract structure tells me OBP knows he ain't it" nonsense.
I am willing to concede that in 2020 while Glazers, Licht and BA were excited to work with Brady, he may not have become a Buc if he demanded a fat and long term contract. He was 42 coming off his worst season.

I think our front office and owners love Baker. The type of contract for a 28 year old in his prime tells me they are still cautiously optimistic. If Baker has a great season this year, I think he will get a longer term extension before 2025 season starts.

On a side note , Brady would have gotten a $50M deal from the Bucs if he wanted, especially after the Superbowl win. But Brady and the Bucs front office were focused on winning another SB.

That is what makes Brady a football and Bucs god to me. The guy walked in with the intent to win and did not come to the table like a businessman. I would never have blamed if he did, but he undoubtedly sacrificed earnings for a winning culture we absolutely needed and this culture so far has carried beyond his term.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Brady realized that winning another ring away from New England, and winning a ring in general, is better for his brand and business than an additional $20 million on a given annual salary.

There’s a reason he got $300 million from Fox or whoever the fuck. It’s because of all the rings.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Yes and no.

I think a severe understated part is just how well negotiated it was. If Brady was really all about the ring, f the money, why not take $19? Or $9M? Or he could've really taken a vet minimum.

At the end of the day both sides said no at some point. It's still a business.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:01 am Brady realized that winning another ring away from New England, and winning a ring in general, is better for his brand and business than an additional $20 million on a given annual salary.

There’s a reason he got $300 million from Fox or whoever the fuck. It’s because of all the rings.
Good point. One could correctly argue that, in Brady's case, it WAS a sound business decision to take less money. In hindsight, it was. Perhaps a bit of a gamble on his part, but he was gambling on himself. Win another ring, then retire. The only thing better would have been to win 2 rings, then retire.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:39 am
Snake wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:01 am Brady realized that winning another ring away from New England, and winning a ring in general, is better for his brand and business than an additional $20 million on a given annual salary.

Good point. One could correctly argue that, in Brady's case, it WAS a sound business decision to take less money. In hindsight, it was. Perhaps a bit of a gamble on his part, but he was gambling on himself. Win another ring, then retire. The only thing better would have been to win 2 rings, then retire.
Correct. And again, 99% of players should take the $. Very few are vying for legacy and post-retirement media careers.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lets not pretend like anyone was giving Brady a Kirk contract anyway.