Time to fire Todd Bowles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Time to fire Todd Bowles

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:00 pm I don't get how same people expected us to be bad are the same one's upset when we're not good.

I'm the most optomistic guy here and even I know that even if this somehow becomes a competitive offense come December, it's going to sputter a lot along the way. Heck, it will likely sputter in the playoffs. Yet reading the thread you'd think we were McCarthy and Dak on year 4 instead of first time OC and Baker in month 4.

We look like exactly what we are right now. Which is better than where many thought. We more scrappy than in sync and have more heart and harmony. But so far everyone is very much bought in and looking to round out those other spots. I don't know what more you can reasonably ask from a roster or a staff at this juncture.
October.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

haven't followed this thread, but I would say there is a 0% chance Bowles gets fired with how the season played out.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That's the day this thread lost all credibility. When the OP suggested we fire Bowles and name 132 year old Tom Moore HC.
Most hated man in America.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Yep... He's an unfeeling emotionless bastard, he is.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm Image

/thread
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

That smile matches the Kawhi laugh though
#kidding.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Moozician wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 pm Image

I mentioned it in the gameday thread...Bowles showing some teeth. :D

viewtopic.php?p=174448#p174448
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:58 pm That's the day this thread lost all credibility. When the OP suggested we fire Bowles and name 132 year old Tom Moore HC.
Only said that after pressed. Only wanted it to be an interim coach not a permanent hire.

I have already said I was wrong, but keep beating a dead horse.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:58 pm That's the day this thread lost all credibility. When the OP suggested we fire Bowles and name 132 year old Tom Moore HC.
Only said that after pressed. Only wanted it to be an interim coach not a permanent hire.

You new around here?
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:35 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:52 pm

You new around here?
Nope. Expect the horse to be beaten.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I beat horses at least 5 times a day. Oddly my wife says why am I beating horses with my dick and not her. The horse is dead. I mean really? /s
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:41 am I beat horses at least 5 times a day. Oddly my wife says why am I beating horses with my dick and not her. The horse is dead. I mean really? /s
Wait.... Wut?
You wanna beat dead horses with your wife?
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:01 am
Heisenberg wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:20 pm This win changes nothing for me. Today doesn't magically magically make him a good coach that can take a team to the SB, which is the goal. Still a bad coach.
And now?
Same. He's not a SB coach. Got outcoached horribly today. His dumbass doing shit like playing Neal today when he barely played last week where it worked great is one small example why. Got raped all 4th quarter. But we beat an injured, falling Eagles team so everything was magically fixed apparently. Ofc I know he isn't gonna be fired, I just can't grasp how people want another season of a coach who can't adjust, and the one time he does, he reverts back with the season on the line.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Playing Neal sure was a head scratcher
I said what I said

Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Moozician wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:17 am
kaimaru wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:41 am I beat horses at least 5 times a day. Oddly my wife says why am I beating horses with my dick and not her. The horse is dead. I mean really? /s
Wait.... Wut?
You wanna beat dead horses with your wife?
MY EYES!!!! MY EYES!!!!
I said what I said

BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Heisenberg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:25 pm

And now?
Same. He's not a SB coach. Got outcoached horribly today. His dumbass doing shit like playing Neal today when he barely played last week where it worked great is one small example why. Got raped all 4th quarter. But we beat an injured, falling Eagles team so everything was magically fixed apparently. Ofc I know he isn't gonna be fired, I just can't grasp how people want another season of a coach who can't adjust, and the one time he does, he reverts back with the season on the line.
I totally agree. We're gonna waste a lot of time sitting here with our fingers up our asses waiting for Bowles to take us to the Super Bowl. Because he ain't taking us there
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The dude just put away the NFC champs and went toe to toe with a really great Lions team with 40% of the cap going to players not on the roster and a first year OC.

But go off king.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:28 pm Playing Neal sure was a head scratcher
Merriweather and Dean were both hurt.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am I didn’t notice live bc I was so defeated, but we could have got the ball back. Bowles decided to throw in the towel.

So that’s cool. WTF?!

This sure as hell should be addressed internally.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:31 am
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:23 am I didn’t notice live bc I was so defeated, but we could have got the ball back. Bowles decided to throw in the towel.

So that’s cool. WTF?!

This sure as hell should be addressed internally.
Maybe he gets a lollipop after the game for every timeout he doesn't use?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Todd Bowles on why he didn't call his last timeout on Detroit's 4th down kneel: "They already had the field goal lined up, and there would’ve been about 12 seconds left on the clock to end the ball game. We weren’t going to come back from that."
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

And now?
I agree he got outcoached on Sunday. His record/resume is still not very good. But you don't fire the guy because I will say he did make progress from a year ago, which has always been my standard of bringing him back. I said before the Eagles game that if he can get us past the first round, that's a step-up from last year. He did that and actually had us competing yesterday.

As for next year, there's pressure to keep making progress. If we go 9-8 and lose in the opening round, he's prolly gone.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I will applaud him for going for 2 though on the last TD. IF you get another TD he's going for the win early and putting pressure on the Lions to finish it out. Here's the math:

1. You are able to pull off the miracle and score two TDs with no other scoring.
2. 95 percent chance of making XP
3. 55 percent chance of making 2 pts.
4. 50 percent chance of winning in OT.

Chances of winning by going for Two.
Scenario 1: Make 2 pt, then XP
.55*.95 = 52.3%
Scenario 2: Miss 2 pt, make 2 pt, win in OT
.45*.55*.5 = 12.4%
Scenario 3: Make 2, Miss XP, win in OT.
.55*.05*.5 = 1.4%

Going for 2 points first, puts your winning percentage at 66%.

Going for the tie by kicking two XP, you will end up south of 50 percent.

.95*.95*.5 = 45.1%
.05*.55*.5 = 1.4%

Going for the win by kicking XP then going for two:

.95*.55 = 52.3%
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:51 pm The dude just put away the NFC champs and went toe to toe with a really great Lions team with 40% of the cap going to players not on the roster and a first year OC.

But go off king.
He still played Neal and Devin White too much. Bowels should be fired, but he won't be and we will finish 8-9 next season.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:59 pm I will applaud him for going for 2 though on the last TD. IF you get another TD he's going for the win early and putting pressure on the Lions to finish it out. Here's the math:

1. You are able to pull off the miracle and score two TDs with no other scoring.
2. 95 percent chance of making XP
3. 55 percent chance of making 2 pts.
4. 50 percent chance of winning in OT.

Chances of winning by going for Two.
Scenario 1: Make 2 pt, then XP
.55*.95 = 52.3%
Scenario 2: Miss 2 pt, make 2 pt, win in OT
.45*.55*.5 = 12.4%
Scenario 3: Make 2, Miss XP, win in OT.
.55*.05*.5 = 1.4%

Going for 2 points first, puts your winning percentage at 66%.

Going for the tie by kicking two XP, you will end up south of 50 percent.

.95*.95*.5 = 45.1%
.05*.55*.5 = 1.4%

Going for the win by kicking XP then going for two:

.95*.55 = 52.3%
Going for 2 was the right call when trailing by 2 TDs. Had Bucs scored the 2, there would have been a lot more pressure on Lions offense to move the chains at any cost and possibly score at least a FG because the momentum would have been in Bucs favor. A lot of offenses do uncharacteristic things to shoot themselves in the foot in moments like that. I was very happy he was going for the jugular.

What I wasn't happy with was not having a RB in the back field, clearly signaling to the defense that we were going to pass. Then the type of pass play we chose was a low percentage play simultaneously demanding perfect ball placement from the QB and hyper athletic play from the receiver of out leaping a defender in his grill.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Al Bundy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:47 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:51 pm The dude just put away the NFC champs and went toe to toe with a really great Lions team with 40% of the cap going to players not on the roster and a first year OC.

But go off king.
He still played Neal and Devin White too much. Bowels should be fired, but he won't be and we will finish 8-9 next season.
You know, I really tried my best to help relieve some of you from your PTSD induced sufferings and loser mentalities, but I'm coming to terms with that fact that some of you can't be saved. You're too damaged and too far gone. You've been a miserable loser for so long being anything else is asking too much. That's fine. I'm sorry for your life. But I do hope you were able to squeeze some joy our of our championship runs and that you find a way to let yourself enjoy the next one.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:36 pm

I agree he got outcoached on Sunday. His record/resume is still not very good. But you don't fire the guy because I will say he did make progress from a year ago, which has always been my standard of bringing him back. I said before the Eagles game that if he can get us past the first round, that's a step-up from last year. He did that and actually had us competing yesterday.

As for next year, there's pressure to keep making progress. If we go 9-8 and lose in the opening round, he's prolly gone.
IDK, if we go 9-8 with the opponents we have next year, that'd be somewhat impressive, no?
HOME: PHI, WAS, DEN, LV, ATL, NO, CAR, SF, BAL
AWAY: DAL, NYG, KC, LAC, ATL, NO, CAR, DET

When Vegas releases their team O/U win lines, I'm guessing we'll be at 7.5.
We literally play all four of the teams still alive this season. It's gonna be tough sledding.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm
Navybuc wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:36 pm

IDK, if we go 9-8 with the opponents we have next year, that'd be somewhat impressive, no?

We literally play all four of the teams still alive this season. It's gonna be tough sledding.
If we win 9 games next year (and still have Mayfield), I'm giving Bowles an extension and a big raise. I also don't think we make the playoffs with a 9-8 record next year.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

And now?
Merriweather was the starter at SS. He was rotating with McCollum. When Merriweather got injured, he had a choice, replace his with Delaney or Neal. Since Neal is higher on the depth chart, he replaced Merriweather with Neal. When Dean got injured, it forced him to play McCollum CB the rest of the way and why Izien was in the game more. This is why we had a 4th quarter collapse of the defense. While he did indeed not use Neal at all last week, that was because he was playing man a lot last game. We played zone a lot this game. It was the wrong choice since we couldn't pressure Goff at all, but there is your answer to why Neal played so much
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:18 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm

If we win 9 games next year (and still have Mayfield), I'm giving Bowles an extension and a big raise. I also don't think we make the playoffs with a 9-8 record next year.
We will probably split with NOs again, sweep CAR, and should beat ATL twice as well with this being the second year in this offense. You don't think we should win these games? WAS, DEN, LV, LAC, and NYG? Because if we are a better team we should win all of them.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:37 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:18 pm

We will probably split with NOs again, sweep CAR, and should beat ATL twice as well with this being the second year in this offense. You don't think we should win these games? WAS, DEN, LV, LAC, and NYG? Because if we are a better team we should win all of them.
We should've beat ATL twice this year, and the Colts, so there's games we should win but don't. So, no, I'm not going to say we beat ATL OR Carolina twice... because we didn't beat ATL twice this year and we barely beat Carolina both times. I'll concede 4-2, but I won't say 5-1.

Yes, I think we beat Washington and the Giants. I'm not so sure about Vegas & Denver yet but I am inclined to say yes because the games are home... but as I mentioned with Indy, we lose 1 because you don't always win games you're supposed to. No, I don't think we go to LA and beat the Chargers. I'm not so sure we're better than them. As of right now, I see 4 division wins and 2 against the crappy NFC East team. I'll conceded to the Raiders (not Denver, for obvious reasons... we don't be Sean Payton very often)... so, 7-10 next year.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Interesting, looks like Bowles is more involved in the offense than we thought. The last line I hope Coen takes to heart!
“He has all the leeway he wants,” Bowles said of Coen. “You know, my whole thing is if you’re not ahead by three touchdowns, with five and a half minutes to go, you still try and score – you score the ball. If you’re less than three touchdowns, five and a half minutes to go, you’re not going conservative trying to run the ball and eat the clock. You know, you [have] to be smart.

“Obviously, any offensive coordinator has leeway coming in, but you understand what we have to do. He has to read the game when we’re playing well defensively when he might have to outscore someone, and it’s never just run, run, pass, he has to leeway to call his plays.

“I’ll have the say-so on whether to go for it on fourth down, things to do on two-minute, and so forth – as well as redzone – but he has a lot of leeway. I have a lot of confidence in Liam, and I think he’ll do a great job.”

Bowles added that he doesn’t believing in playing safe on the road, and that he “never” tells his offensive coordinator whether to run or pass on a given play.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What are you talking about? It's precisely the amount of involvement we thought. It's pretty much whether or not to "go for it".

Which is exactly as involed as a defensive HC should be.