Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by CannonFire »

Backside wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 pm
CannonFire wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:49 am

Moore is an excellent receiver, but London has elite upside. I think his floor is Moore's ceiling.
How does that work? That would imply Moore could never have a better season than London. Which has not been the case.
You and I apparently have a different opinion... that's fine. For some reason, you seem to think London has peaked (I guess), despite only playing 2 seasons with QB's who don't belong in the NFL. I understand you hate everything Atlanta, unconditionally... apparently, but you do realize that over their first 2 seasons, Moore and London's numbers are fairly similar, right?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

So many industry people really rally around him

I said what I said

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:04 am Winston has a big arm. Why don't we bring him back? If I recall, players liked him as well.
3 years 25 million?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:22 pm

How does that work? That would imply Moore could never have a better season than London. Which has not been the case.
You and I apparently have a different opinion... that's fine. For some reason, you seem to think London has peaked (I guess), despite only playing 2 seasons with QB's who don't belong in the NFL. I understand you hate everything Atlanta, unconditionally... apparently, but you do realize that over their first 2 seasons, Moore and London's numbers are fairly similar, right?
Moore's second year with Kyle Allen throwing him the ball almost the entire year. Yes they both had bad QBs, but Moore still beat him in every receiving metric and had nearly 30% more total receiving yards. Again with Kyle Allen throwing him the ball. They ran almost identical 40s (4.42 Moore/4.45 London). Do you think London will suddenly get faster like 4.33? What is this "potential" that makes him clearly better than Moore? I'm just curious
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I think our Moore has electric qualities.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:04 am Winston has a big arm. Why don't we bring him back? If I recall, players liked him as well.
Don't you put that evil on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:33 am If CHI drafts a QB and then tries to trade Fields, any team would be hella dumb to offer anything more than peanuts at that point.
That's... that's not how it works....
It just takes two. Two teams that like him. Then it's not peanuts it's fair market value (as determined by those two teams).
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:42 pm
3 years 25 million?
Move the decimal over one spot to the left and I'm ok with that.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Oh, cause CF thinks Baker sucks. I get it. Funny.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:56 am Oh, cause CF thinks Baker sucks. I get it. Funny.
I think he meant that about Winston.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

When Baker says “keep his guys” I think he means more than just Evans. He wants Tristan Wirfs to get his too.

I think it ultimately ends up being a 5 year deal. Lower cap hits the first two years. Backload the higher AAV years allowing for restructures and extensions if things are going well. Maybe a higher total value than Daniel Jones with less guaranteed money.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

acmillis wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:33 am
kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:40 pm

I meant pick a QB and trade him during the draft. I think it would be best to see if Washington and NE would be willing to pay to move up to #1 and I am sure someone will be stupid enough to, and then pick Marvin Harrison Jr. Would immediately make Fields better and they would get extra draft picks. If they want to use 9 as a back up plan, they can afford to do that. They can even use the new draft capital at 9 for that QB. I personally wouldn't pass on MHJ if I was still on the fence about my QB and not completely out
That would completely crush any trade value CHI would receive in return for Fields.
As of today, the GM is saying, "we might keep him." While almost nobody believes the CHI GM, at least there is doubt, so that any interested team would meet the CHi trade demands for Fields.
If CHI drafts a QB and then tries to trade Fields, any team would be hella dumb to offer anything more than peanuts at that point.
I’m sure the same was said of Baker.

People always under estimate landing spot with QBs. Mayfield was put in a situation to fail and had to find a good situation to succeed. I’d bet the same will happen with Fields, just needs a capable offensive coach and capable players around him and he can do everything Lamar Jackson is doing, the talent is that legit.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

When do y’all think they will have a deal done?
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

How can you listen to him and not think him a franchise guy. He can take us there.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:44 pm

How can you listen to him and not think him a franchise guy. He can take us there.
…I’ve seen him play
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:44 pm

Because talking is not playing football?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Have you? When he's on he's good and he hasn't even peaked. We were year 1 and pretty mid in the redzone. Now with one of the best redzone OCs going into year 2ish.

I'm not putting him in Mahomes level but come on. You can definitely win with a guy like Baker. You'd need to have a very very good alternative to get me to move from what feels like a great bet.

The Baker Bucs are here y'all. Get use to it.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Think I’ll head into Advanced Auto Parts for something tomorrow.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:02 pm Have you? When he's on he's good and he hasn't even peaked. We were year 1 and pretty mid in the redzone. Now with one of the best redzone OCs going into year 2ish.

I'm not putting him in Mahomes level but come on. You can definitely win with a guy like Baker. You'd need to have a very very good alternative to get me to move from what feels like a great bet.

You can win 7 to 10 games with a guy like Baker and will never win a superbowl unless you give him an elite defense
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:31 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:02 pm Have you? When he's on he's good and he hasn't even peaked. We were year 1 and pretty mid in the redzone. Now with one of the best redzone OCs going into year 2ish.

You can win 7 to 10 games with a guy like Baker and will never win a superbowl unless you give him an elite defense
So you’re saying there’s a chance?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So a typical champion.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

This kind of doomsinging was plausible last offseason when everyone expected us to win four games, but three weeks ago we were just one score away from the NFC championship WITH Baker as the guy. If we didn't allow 21 straight points to Detroit, we might have made that championship, and from there who knows. And that was in his first year here.

Baker can be the guy. One could argue he's already been the guy. And baring off field catastrophe, I expect we are going to pay him to be the guy here shortly.

Get used to it my dude.
Backside

Post by Backside »

CannonFire wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:22 pm

I think he has peaked? No… you said his floor was Moore’s ceiling. Floor, to me, means as bad as he could or will ever be. Which you say is better than Moore has been or ever will be (ceiling).

Maybe floor and ceiling mean something different to you
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

The ceiling is the roof
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Talks expected to heat up next week.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Acmillis will be disappointed.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Honestly, if the Bucs defense is as strong as it was in 2002, Baker Mayfield will take the Bucs to the Super Bowl.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

When does the free agency period start? Can the Bucs negotiate with Mayfield before the free agency.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:05 am When does the free agency period start? Can the Bucs negotiate with Mayfield before the free agency.
FA starts mid March. The Bucs are free to negotiate with all of their upcoming free agents.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:16 am
Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:05 am When does the free agency period start? Can the Bucs negotiate with Mayfield before the free agency.
FA starts mid March. The Bucs are free to negotiate with all of their upcoming free agents.
Thanks, Bootz
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 am
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:16 am

Thanks, Bootz
You're welcome. I hope we can get a few of those deals done before FA starts. Namely AWJ & Evans. I don't think Baker will have that hot of a market.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:21 am

Thanks, Bootz
You're welcome. I hope we can get a few of those deals done before FA starts. Namely AWJ & Evans. I don't think Baker will have that hot of a market.
AWJ is our priority
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The only team I could see signing Mayfield is Pittsburgh, but I heard they want Tannehill lol.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:21 am

Thanks, Bootz
I imagine all 3 of them as well as Lavonte and Chase McLaughlin will be offered some kind of contract in the next 3 weeks prior to the tag deadline and open free agency period. Whoever doesn't sign has a greater chance of getting the tag prior to March 5th. Especially out of the "big 3.' Wouldn't surprise me if ultimately it's used on Chase though as the others all sign extensions.