Todd Bowles Head Coach Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Navybuc

Re: Todd Bowles Head Coach Thread

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:35 pm
Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:33 pm

Bowles had 2 years here. Took over a Super Bowl talent team last year and went 8-10 including an ass kicking in the playoffs. Totally underachieved. I think most everyone will agree this year we haven’t progressed. We won in a terrible division. I know you’re up Bowles’ ass and all, but the guy has proven not to be a good HC between the Jets and here.

But hey, if we win next week, I’ll gladly eat my crow (or eagle) and put some ketchup and mustard on it with some special seasoning and it will taste oh so good.
Nice back pedal.
Facts are facts. After watching the way this team has looked the last 8 quarters, do you think this is a good football team? Do you think it’s better now than when Bowles took over when Arians retired and then beat Dallas Game 1 last year?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:39 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:35 pm

Nice back pedal.
Facts are facts. After watching the way this team has looked the last 8 quarters, do you think this is a good football team? Do you think it’s better now than when Bowles took over when Arians retired and then beat Dallas Game 1 last year?
I think the results speak for themself. We're in the playoffs again. Won our division again. That's the goal of this game, get into the playoffs.
Most hated man in America.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:43 pm

I think the results speak for themself. We're in the playoffs again. Won our division again. That's the goal of this game, get into the playoffs.
See that’s where you and I are different. You’re just happy to get in the playoffs. I want to actually win in the playoffs. I don’t consider going mediocre all year and losing in the first round a successful season. Maybe you do. I don’t.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:46 pm

See that’s where you and I are different. You’re just happy to get in the playoffs. I want to actually win in the playoffs. I don’t consider going mediocre all year and losing in the first round a successful season. Maybe you do. I don’t.
You mean if we won't win the Superbowl then we should change HCs? LMAO!

I wonder why there aren't 31 coaching changes every year.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

And lose in the first round.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Hey… we’re 5-1 down the stretch and the Eagles are 1-5, so we are a lock to win this game, amirite?
#no…westillsuckballs
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 pm

You mean if we won't win the Superbowl then we should change HCs? LMAO!

I wonder why there aren't 31 coaching changes every year.
You know what I mean. If we don’t make progress and show any signs of getting better, which we’re not. We’re a mediocre football team and I sure as hell hope the result next week isn’t the same as last year, or else what progress are we making? After game 2 in 2022, we looked great under Todd Bowles. How will we look after next week?
Snake

Post by Snake »

This is where I am. Though, I hold last year against him more than this year. This year is a better job overall. He should not have hesitated to get Byron Shitwich off the team before last season. Everyone knew the guy was trash.

I still don’t think Bowles will be the head coach when this team becomes a legit contender again. A.k.a. one of the top five teams in the NFL.

43% of the NFL makes the playoffs now. It’s really not that big of an accomplishment. Especially in the worst division in football.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

The last 2 regular season games the Bucs are 17-17. Counting the playoffs the Bucs are 17-18. Is this the standard for having a successful team?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm The last 2 regular season games the Bucs are 18-18. Counting the playoffs the Bucs are 18-19. Is this the standard for having a successful team?
Making the playoffs is the standard for having a successful team. Well, not according to @Snake. I'm guessing he's saying there should be 31 teams making HC changes each year if they don't win it all because 43% of the league makes the playoffs.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:54 pm

This is where I am. Though, I hold last year against him more than this year. This year is a better job overall. He should not have hesitated to get Byron Shitwich off the team before last season. Everyone knew the guy was trash.

I still don’t think Bowles will be the head coach when this team becomes a legit contender again. A.k.a. one of the top five teams in the NFL.

43% of the NFL makes the playoffs now. It’s really not that big of an accomplishment. Especially in the worst division in football.
I have a hard time judging this year because we have 0 wins against a good team. And no, as we found out today, Jacksonville is not a good team. Next week will be a good test. If we can beat Philly, that’s a statement. That to me is progress. But if it’s another mediocre year, 1 and done, what progress are we making over the last 3 seasons?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Best scoring defense playing bad defense in 13 years. What a heck of a way to have to do it, good job coach Bowles.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It depends where you are in your competitive cycle, and the traits that are demonstrated from the ballboy up to the GM during that cycle.

Kansas City losing to the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl was not a failure of a season. They got their ass whooped, but there’s a lot of context there. They didn’t blow it up after that season, nor should they have. Because they have a proven head coach who is a great playcaller and game planner. He also has a long track record of building competitive teams and elevating quarterbacks. They also had an elite QB. The two most important things to build around.

I don’t see Todd ever being a great playcaller. I think he’s a better defensive coordinator than he is a head coach too.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

acmillis wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 pm Hey… we’re 5-1 down the stretch and the Eagles are 1-5, so we are a lock to win this game, amirite?
#no…westillsuckballs
Yep. We will still be the underdogs and will play like the underdogs. And the excuse factory will continue to pay Bowles on the back for winning NFC South back to back.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Jonny wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:25 pm
acmillis wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 pm Hey… we’re 5-1 down the stretch and the Eagles are 1-5, so we are a lock to win this game, amirite?
#no…westillsuckballs
Yep. We will still be the underdogs and will play like the underdogs. And the excuse factory will continue to pay Bowles on the back for winning NFC South back to back.
How many winning teams did the Buccaneers beat? One? The Saints?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:58 pm The glazers are unpredictable. I get the impression that they’re big on the state of the locker room and the cohesiveness of the organization. Not sure what else they value. As other people have said, they have fired Gruden after a playoff appearance.

My gut tells me that they’re gonna look at the dead cap situation, and assume they can tack on two or three more wins next season. They also seem to be really big fans of Baker Mayfield. He will get re-upped.

But again, unpredictable imo.
They felt Dungy was holding the team back. They fired Gruden as the entire locker room had turned against him as he was not trusted. They also may have know of his mocking of the Glazer son. So that could have been involved
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:06 pm I think 95% of Bucs fans are praying for a new HC. Sadly those 5% of Bucs fans who want him to stay will be the ones getting their wish. Like I said, the win today had some consequences.
Joebucsfan has polls every week about Bowles. You would be completely wrong with that assessment. It was iirc 52% confident last week
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:24 pm If the Bucs lose next week, they will be 17-19 under Bowles if you count the playoffs. We fired two head coaches who had two years much better than that.

But yeah, let’s keep him because he won 2 straight division titles when the other 3 teams are complete trash. NFC south titles mean horseshit if you get your ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs against actual good teams.

Next week’s a big week for Mr. Bowles to prove himself.
We had arguably the best defense in the league, that's why Dungy was let go. He was like Bowles. Gave zero craps about the offense. Bowles will one day have the same happen to him if Canales isn't the man.

Gruden lost the locker room. His players didn't trust him. I am sure several players complained. He was ousted for that reason
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm The last 2 regular season games the Bucs are 17-17. Counting the playoffs the Bucs are 17-18. Is this the standard for having a successful team?
He found out late the first year. He didn't have time to get his own staff. Brady looked checked out all year. Brady looks like he didn't want to be hit. How many times did he take the snap and immediately threw it to the feet of a player on screen play like he didn't think he could let the blocks set up?

He picks his staff and has a first time coordinator who clearly was new to being a coordinator. They had almost $80 million in dead cap and the GM didn't get a center and moved a LT to RG. Hansey has again been crap at center. Baker has had some bad games this year. Sometimes because of headscratching calls by Canales. Sometimes because he was inaccurate. Sometimes both. I personally have gone back and forth on Bowles. Some days his defensive play calling has been maddening. But I also understand he was hamstrung and DW, CD3, and Dean have regressed so much that it's hard to blame him for the defense when 30% of your defense is meh
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I give Bowles credit for the strong finish to win the division. He will get another shot for sure, but I think the goal going forward needs to be higher. 8 or 9 wins won’t win the NFC South forever.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Green Bay vs. Buccaneers for the NFC Championship would be interesting. Doubt it would happen, but it would be interesting.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:01 pm
Snake wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:54 pm

I have a hard time judging this year because we have 0 wins against a good team. And no, as we found out today, Jacksonville is not a good team. Next week will be a good test. If we can beat Philly, that’s a statement. That to me is progress. But if it’s another mediocre year, 1 and done, what progress are we making over the last 3 seasons?
But Philly is not a good team. Not now, anyway.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

kaimaru wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:06 pm
GreatTimes wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm The last 2 regular season games the Bucs are 17-17. Counting the playoffs the Bucs are 17-18. Is this the standard for having a successful team?
He found out late the first year. He didn't have time to get his own staff. Brady looked checked out all year. Brady looks like he didn't want to be hit. How many times did he take the snap and immediately threw it to the feet of a player on screen play like he didn't think he could let the blocks set up?

He picks his staff and has a first time coordinator who clearly was new to being a coordinator. They had almost $80 million in dead cap and the GM didn't get a center and moved a LT to RG. Hansey has again been crap at center. Baker has had some bad games this year. Sometimes because of headscratching calls by Canales. Sometimes because he was inaccurate. Sometimes both. I personally have gone back and forth on Bowles. Some days his defensive play calling has been maddening. But I also understand he was hamstrung and DW, CD3, and Dean have regressed so much that it's hard to blame him for the defense when 30% of your defense is meh
None of that matters. Bowles should have fire Leftwich immediately, hired a homerun staff on the otherside of the ball, and traded D White to the Bears for their first pick which would've ended up #1 and we'd have Stroud.

But he didn't do any of that.
He needs to go.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 am
kaimaru wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:06 pm

None of that matters. Bowles should have fire Leftwich immediately, hired a homerun staff on the otherside of the ball, and traded D White to the Bears for their first pick which would've ended up #1 and we'd have Stroud.

But he didn't do any of that.
He needs to go.
Considering your past posts I am assuming /s?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

With AJ Brown out, Hurts having a hurt finger on his throwing hand and barely practicing this week, Bucs roster being as healthy as they have been most of the year, this has to be a win for the Bucs. Obviously Bucs have very good coaches to ensure we will beat a team low on morale and full of injuries to key players.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jonny wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:47 pm With AJ Brown out, Hurts having a hurt finger on his throwing hand and barely practicing this week, Bucs roster being as healthy as they have been most of the year, this has to be a win for the Bucs. Obviously Bucs have very good coaches to ensure we will beat a team low on morale and full of injuries to key players.
I will agree a good head coach wins this game..
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

A good QB wins this game.
A good LB wins this game.
A good Safety wins this game.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:41 am
Jonny wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:47 pm With AJ Brown out, Hurts having a hurt finger on his throwing hand and barely practicing this week, Bucs roster being as healthy as they have been most of the year, this has to be a win for the Bucs. Obviously Bucs have very good coaches to ensure we will beat a team low on morale and full of injuries to key players.
I will agree a good head coach wins this game..
Not the flower man