Hopium Refills

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Hopium Refills

Post by Doctor »

Okay, I get it. You blew through your hopium stash. You took too much too fast when the wins kept coming then you crashed. You crashed hard. You found yourself at the bottom of a 1-6 run and all hope was dry. You were ready to fire everyone, reset everything. Return to the battered fan syndrome pattern of behavior we know all too well. But we've been down that road. We know where it leads. And I am not blameless. I was perhaps too careless with my scripts. But we need hope. So like any good doctor getting kickbacks we're going to double the dose and ride this fucking dragon to hell! Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!

Your Bucs on riding a 3 game-win streak where they marched into Atlanta to snatch the division and then into Lambeau to put on quite a show. I don't know about you but that sure does look like a corner up ahead. Let's turn it.

Last time we left QB for last, this time it's the start. Baker has been every bit the Baker he was signed here to be. You have the smarts, the moxy, the grit. He is settling in along with the rest of the offense and you are seeing the results. It may surprise you to hear I'm not going to pipe Baker as the answer at QB or anything here, at least not yet. What I will say is that if it turns out we have found ourselves a 4k yards 30 TD 10 INT QB with a penchant for heroics, and that's just in the first year... I don't know if I'm ready to throw that away for what, even with all the NFLs huge scouting departments and millions in sunk costs, still remains a 50/50 gambit. I am, however, a huge believer in hedging your bets and would still love to take a QB we love even if Baker wins a playoff game. Miss me with your misallocation of resource nonsense. Keep them both, see how it plays out, and hope one gives us a great playoff run. 

Which... speaking of, is what we have brewing here. Okay, maybe not a great playoff run, but we're doing the two things I repeat are the most important part of the regular season very well right now. Not record, ranking, or stats. The only things that matter are making the playoffs and playing good ball in December. And we're on track for both. Now, again, not preaching SB, but I'm thinking it could be a fun run. We're actually healthy, for the most part, which is incredible. Our offensive line is really coming together and we've seen the improvements to both the run and pass games because of it. Rashaad White is what happens when agility is 99 but acceleration 70, it's like watching Luka Dončić with this strange agility that isn't particularly quick, but somehow still so effective. Anyways, it kills in the open field and his between-the-tackle runs are starting to level up as well. Chase Edmonds provides some hard running in relief snaps. Now that M1k3 Evans has his 1000 yard mark I feel the pressure is off a little bit. He's still the killer he's proven to be all year but now Godwin is also opening up. Even Otton has come up big for us.

Now on to the defense. For starters, Bucs are a god damn DB factory. Seriously. Zyon and Izien are just the latest in a long time of Bowles disciples who have really come up big for us. And we obviously have to talk about Antione Winfield Jr who has ascended to the next level of full blown defensive star. With that said let's pause to talk about Devin White. As a pre-draft White fan I was over the moon with his selection. Huge upside guy, RB to LB convert in need of coaching. Wrecked some of the top offenses in the league when it mattered most. And most of all in a system that can absolutely wreck with a high powered super star at the center. My hope was that he'd finally take that leap for the next level and play so damn well that he'd be so pricey we'd have to tag him and see if he can repeat it yet again. But he didn't even do that. His weaknesses have remained and he's pulled back on the plays that made him great. He was more Aldon Smith than Fred Warner and that happens. Maybe he goes to Talib/Lynch it somewhere else, and I hope he does. Wish him the best. But for right now I'd just really love to see him give us some of that January magic we know he's capable of. Some of those splash plays in key moments on his share of snaps. And if he can do that, oh boy, this defense can have a good run. Because it's pretty darn primed, it just really needs that one play-maker at the head of the spear. 

Yaya could be that guy. It would be absolutely great if he was. He's really come along very well, so much so he's overtaken JTS in the starting role. That's fantastic. I know draft groupies have some weird fetish that a 3rd rounder should never overtake a 1st rounder. That JTS should be the one playing great and Yaya the one serving as a good relief, but I honestly couldn't care less about that nonsense. I like the rotation. I like the development. And KJ Britt is another example of that. People forget this defense has a curve and Britt is really coming into his own in his 3rd year. I can't wait until this draft class hits year 3. Kancey, Izien, Yaya, Dennis. Lavonte hasn't slowed down a bit and as far as I'm concerned has earned himself another deal right behind Evans. But that's for the offseason. Right now we're talking the Bucs being the leader of the NFC South with a less than critical game versus the AFC leading Jags in what should be another good test for playoff football. We're talking about the following week being a season clinching showdown against a team that keeps being touted as the one who will dethrone us in the division yet Bowles has owned since getting here. And we're talking about a good shot at hosting a playoff game and taking the next step toward what this franchise can be moving forward.

It isn't going to be easy. Cowboys and Eagles are both top teams that can play great ball. We'll need Bowles to bring his all on defense, but more importantly, we'll need the offense to keep the D off the field while still closing things out in the redzone if we're going to have a shot. And you know what, I think we can do it. I think we can run well, pass well, and play well. And these guys aren't waiting for next year or for a rebuild or for the future to arrive. These 53 guys are on this roster together right now, playing together right now, and they have a very rare and special invite to the post season dance and they are going to bring their best moves. And I'm here for it.
Last edited by Doctor on Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Tate

Re: Hopium Refills

Post by Terry Tate »

Rap sucks
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Now who finna read all that shit?
Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Someone that wants some hopium and isn't scared of a lot of words.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Interesting read.

If the Saints win tonight, they're the ones holding down the 4th seed on the playoff charts with the Bucs "on the outside looking in". The Bucs need to keep that hunger and treat this game, every game like the playoffs have already begun. No thought of what-if resting starters. Take care of business Sunday and reclaim the flag on the charts, nail it down cold with a win over the Saints, and keep momentum over Carolina to finish the season strong. Because it could all go south. We could lose a heartbreaker to Jacksonville after a Saints victory today, then face the most important game of the regular season with our rival enjoying a mini-bye-- again!-- only to lose, and with the division title and our playoff run in ruin, crack against a Kitties team the senses weakness and doesn't give a damn what pick Chicago will take. Poof, 0-3 at the end and a franchise-changing decision by the owners... no, I am only taking enough hope to last to Sunday, I've had my heart broken in December before.

To hell with Dallas and Philadelphia. They're dreams and night fog right now, Jacksonville is real and so is New Orleans, we should not be thinking one minute past these two games. Then, if we're on the other side of them with a 4 seed locked in, then I might line up for the Hopeium. Take care of business, Buccaneers. It starts and ends on Sunday with Jacksonville.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I will snort hopium or inject it raw, in my veins if we win against Jags and Saints with Baker looking competent, not explosive, but competent the way he looked against Texans, 49ers and Saints earlier.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Xandtar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:25 am Interesting read.

If the Saints win tonight, they're the ones holding down the 4th seed on the playoff charts with the Bucs "on the outside looking in". The Bucs need to keep that hunger and treat this game, every game like the playoffs have already begun. No thought of what-if resting starters. Take care of business Sunday and reclaim the flag on the charts, nail it down cold with a win over the Saints, and keep momentum over Carolina to finish the season strong. Because it could all go south. We could lose a heartbreaker to Jacksonville after a Saints victory today, then face the most important game of the regular season with our rival enjoying a mini-bye-- again!-- only to lose, and with the division title and our playoff run in ruin, crack against a Kitties team the senses weakness and doesn't give a damn what pick Chicago will take. Poof, 0-3 at the end and a franchise-changing decision by the owners... no, I am only taking enough hope to last to Sunday, I've had my heart broken in December before.

To hell with Dallas and Philadelphia. They're dreams and night fog right now, Jacksonville is real and so is New Orleans, we should not be thinking one minute past these two games. Then, if we're on the other side of them with a 4 seed locked in, then I might line up for the Hopeium. Take care of business, Buccaneers. It starts and ends on Sunday with Jacksonville.

I learned from a great man once (our resident poster, Pete Pearson after Bucs 2010 season) that the ability to stay disciplined and focused when you are being successful is what will truly make you a winner and a cut above the rest.

I have seen many episodes of Jameis having a great game and raising our expectations, having a high amp pregame huddle speech, only to crash and burn during the game like a mofo. I have similar reservations about Baker as well. I don't think he handles attention well. Right after us going 3-1 Baker was getting all kinds of media attention and we went on a 4-5 game losing streak after that.

Just like you I want to see this roster stay humble and disciplined. We have zero room for error the next two games in my opinion.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I don't read books without pictures! Oh, there are some you say?! Swell.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jonny wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:22 am
Xandtar wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:25 am Interesting read.

I learned from a great man once (our resident poster, Pete Pearson after Bucs 2010 season) that the ability to stay disciplined and focused when you are being successful is what will truly make you a winner and a cut above the rest.

I have seen many episodes of Jameis having a great game and raising our expectations, having a high amp pregame huddle speech, only to crash and burn during the game like a mofo. I have similar reservations about Baker as well. I don't think he handles attention well. Right after us going 3-1 Baker was getting all kinds of media attention and we went on a 4-5 game losing streak after that.

Just like you I want to see this roster stay humble and disciplined. We have zero room for error the next two games in my opinion.
Unfortunately this has been a cycle for Baker his entire career. Underdog mentality. Play well. Beat inferior opponent. Call out doubters. Play like shit. Criticized by media. Rinse, repeat.

Let's hope he can break it. The last time we were in this spot he laid a fat egg at home against the Lions.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:10 am
Jonny wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:22 am

Unfortunately this has been a cycle for Baker his entire career. Underdog mentality. Play well. Beat inferior opponent. Call out doubters. Play like shit. Criticized by media. Rinse, repeat.

Let's hope he can break it. The last time we were in this spot he laid a fat egg at home against the Lions.
This is where the leadership from our Superbowl winning vets like LVD, Vea, Shaq, our starting CBs, Wirfs, Evans and Godwin has to help. Then you have AWJr who won the SB as a rookie and thanks to his upbringing and early success, carries himself with an all-pro mentality and plays like one while also being a tremendous leader.

Baker's flaws this year have been not believing in what he is seeing, which makes him trigger tentative often. His Falcons film despite the win was disastrous. I'm glad he's had a game where he was just feeling it and everything clicked. Every single thing. No need to go full Jameis, but thanks to his quick release and raw throwing power, he needs to believe in his eyes and arm and play like a gunslinger and control that aggression based on situations (such as don't get greedy when in FG territory and hold the ball too long). Also he needs to learn some lessons from the Lions game. He was again a rockstar celebrity coming into that game and was too amped up, overthrowing receivers and missing opportunities that if capitalized on could have made the Bucs offense look dominant. He is his own worst enemy and I'm holding out hope that he's able to see his arc from a 3rd person pov and learn more about himself and his tendencies.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Jonny wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am

This is where the leadership from our Superbowl winning vets like LVD, Vea, Shaq, our starting CBs, Wirfs, Evans and Godwin has to help. Then you have AWJr who won the SB as a rookie and thanks to his upbringing and early success, carries himself with an all-pro mentality and plays like one while also being a tremendous leader.

Baker's flaws this year have been not believing in what he is seeing, which makes him trigger tentative often. His Falcons film despite the win was disastrous. I'm glad he's had a game where he was just feeling it and everything clicked. Every single thing. No need to go full Jameis, but thanks to his quick release and raw throwing power, he needs to believe in his eyes and arm and play like a gunslinger and control that aggression based on situations (such as don't get greedy when in FG territory and hold the ball too long). Also he needs to learn some lessons from the Lions game. He was again a rockstar celebrity coming into that game and was too amped up, overthrowing receivers and missing opportunities that if capitalized on could have made the Bucs offense look dominant. He is his own worst enemy and I'm holding out hope that he's able to see his arc from a 3rd person pov and learn more about himself and his tendencies.
This is absolutely where good coaching needs to come into play. Teach him to temper his expectations while, at the same time, trusting his eyes and believing in himself. Almost every great player we see at this level had some great coaching to help get them there.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:07 pm

Yaya could be that guy.
LFG!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:38 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:07 pm

Yaya could be that guy.
LFG!!
You mean Jose Ramirez right
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Get the sand out your vag.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I need a gallon of hopium. This is as strong a December as any in Bucs history.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Resign Baker. Resign Evans. Draft a WR in round 1 to learn under Evans
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Whoa, there. We haven't secured a playoff spot, and the Saints got to watch us from their couches as they get a mini-bye with the NFC South title in their grasp if they win their next two games and we lose the next two. Then we sit on the couch on Wild Card weekend.

We still have to take care of business. One game at a time. Let's hope Baker keeps his head from getting big because that's when he lays eggs and next Sunday is the biggest game of the season.

The Falcons aren't out of it either. Whether or not they win next week, if the Saints win, then we're going to have to beat the kitties for the title, and they're not playing like quitters. If that disaster happens, the winner of the New Orleans/Atlanta game wins the title, either the Falcons at 8-9 or the Saints at 9-8 with us at 8-9 too. We have to be at our best even if/when we beat the Saints next week, should the Falcons knock the Bears out of the playoffs next week. I don't want to limp into the playoffs or not make the playoffs with a Bucs loss the last week of the season.

So I'll take another small dose of hopeium going into next week. Not being Debbie Downer here, just trying to keep my personal expectations realistic, the playoffs continue for the Bucs. Another week, another win, another shot at playing in the Wild Card round.
Last edited by Xandtar on Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

4-0 in December
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Jonny wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am

To be fair, the Oline was playing pretty terrible and it makes sense the trust was not built. He is getting better protection now and receivers are getting better separation to give him more options. There is no way to lay 100% (or even 70%) of those losses at this feet. He has been playing fairly consistently with what he has been given. Now that he is given more he is playing better. His int to TD ratio is proof of that. There is a case to be made when Bowles plays conservative (like the last quarter and a half today) Baker slows down too. THAT is on Bowles. I hate the way he took his foot off the gas today.
I said what I said

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:47 pm4-0 in December
5-0 in December would be sweeter.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Xandtar wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:16 am
Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:47 pm4-0 in December
5-0 in December would be sweeter.
It would equal a division title and winning season
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

@SaggyBallZ you know damn well I have never made a post this long
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Refill engaged..lol I'm such a homer
Screenshot_20231231_110712_Fantasy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Noles1724 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:08 am Refill engaged..lol I'm such a homer

That's a decent well rounded lineup
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

@Doctor ? What happened out there? I need a positive spin on what I just watched!
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:20 am
Noles1724 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:08 am Refill engaged..lol I'm such a homer

That's a decent well rounded lineup
Well that was a donation
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Jonny wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:11 pm I need a positive spin on what I just watched!
Then you will either need to take a lot of drugs or…well, there is no or.
I said what I said

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

It could have been worse, Atlanta could have won.

That's all I have to say about that.

I'll hold on the Hopium this week. Let's see how it plays out next week.