Transfer portal

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
SaggyBallZ

Transfer portal

Post by SaggyBallZ »

I'm not sure if I am a weirdo but I like it. I am reading story after story on all the major sites where people are lamenting it. I can understand coaches not liking it because of the unpredictability of their roster. But as a fan I kind of like it. Ohio State already has 14 players in the portal this year -- usually it is just a couple. Only 2 of them were projected to be starters - QB McCord and WR Fleming. The rest are mainly 2nd and 3rd stringers who never really got much playing time. I think it is great that they took their shot at big time D1 and are now going to go somewhere smaller where they will get lots more playing time. Why would anyone be mad at that? Heck maybe even get enough playing time to become a late round draft pick. All the power to them I say.

I get there are some kids who will play for 3 or even 4 schools and will "abuse" it, but to me they are the exception. I'm guessing most of the kids in the portal are players looking to move down to get more playing time or good players on small school teams that are looking to get more TV time and development to possibly get to the next level.

I also get that it is intertwined with NIL money and some of the moves are driven by the athletes getting paid -- but again, I'm not sure that is a bad thing at all.
Cheb

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Cheb »

I don't like it but then again I'm getting older every day, so maybe that's just the curmudgeon in me rearing his head.

I understand why one would want to enter the transfer portal -- money, playing time, old coaches leaving, needing a change of scenery, and so forth -- and yet I feel it cheapens the college game.

Call me old-fashioned.
Last edited by Cheb on Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It definitely cheapens the feel good stuff, which distinguished it from the NFL, for me.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If you aren’t a fan of any particular team it’s great. I can see why fans get upset.

In the NFL if you pay attention to and are interested in the draft you know you get to watch those guys grow with your franchise for 4-5+ years.

In college now recruits come and go at will. It’s hard to get invested in their growth the way you could in the past.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

FB_IMG_1702206396953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bunch of #1 overalls there.