NCAA football 2023

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
Snake

Re: NCAA football 2023

Post by Snake »

Kress wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:49 am Also interesting that no one in here mentions Ohio State.
Right. They would beat FSU and Washington.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 am How do you leave Bama or Georgia out? Then you’re pretty much saying “We don’t care who the 4 best teams are.” There’s no way you can make the case that the FSU team we saw the last 2 weeks is better than Georgia or Bama or Texas. FSU last night was dreadful. They got lucky they played such a weak team. Louisville lost to Pitt and Kentucky let’s not forget.

I think if it ends up Michigan, Wash, FSU, Texas, there’s a huge asterisk on this years champion. They’ll have dodged potentially playing the best team.

And if pains me to say this because I hate Alabama so much and am sick of seeing them in the final 4. And I really like Mike Norvell.But Bama may be the #1 team in the country.
How do you leave an undefeated team out? It is not like FSU is in some minor conference.
Snake

Post by Snake »

FSU gonna get rolled. Pls let them in.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 am How do you leave Bama or Georgia out? Then you’re pretty much saying “We don’t care who the 4 best teams are.” There’s no way you can make the case that the FSU team we saw the last 2 weeks is better than Georgia or Bama or Texas. FSU last night was dreadful. They got lucky they played such a weak team. Louisville lost to Pitt and Kentucky let’s not forget.

I think if it ends up Michigan, Wash, FSU, Texas, there’s a huge asterisk on this years champion. They’ll have dodged potentially playing the best team.

And if pains me to say this because I hate Alabama so much and am sick of seeing them in the final 4. And I really like Mike Norvell.But Bama may be the #1 team in the country.
Bama you leave out because a 2 score loss at home, albeit to the eventually Big 12 Champion, is by far the worse loss of any of the CFP contenders. Resumé matters. You also can't put a 1 loss Bama team in over a 1 loss Texas team when Bama's loss came to Texas.

Georgia you leave out because they didn't win their conference in a year where there were 3 undefeated Power 5 conference champs.

That's the case for them being out. But the committee and college football drools over the SEC. So I fully expect that for the 1st time ever there will be 1, maybe 2 undefeated Power 5 conference champs left out for the sake of the SEC.
Most hated man in America.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

13F11B wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:07 am

How do you leave an undefeated team out? It is not like FSU is in some minor conference.
How do you leave an SEC team out who just beat the No. 1 team in the country and is in many peoples eyes the country’s most talented team?

I think if FSU had Travis, it’s an entirely different story. Then I’d advocate more for the Noles. But without him, they are just an average team.

Heather Dinich, who regularly communicates with the committee, made some good points this morning. She thinks they will leave FSU out because of the language that the committees goal is “to put the best four teams in” and they can leave out a team if there is a key injury that degrades a team.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

The subjective "best team in the country" argument is the one SEC fans run to when trying to make a case. No need to. There is clear SEC bias in college football.

But this is why the committee also looks strongly at resumé. The "best team in the country" didn't win their conference. The team that beat them lost by 2 scores to another conference champion. Leaving Texas out weakens both of the argument for the SEC teams to get in.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The committee has a recency bias. Losses that happened eight weeks ago aren’t as important as losses that happened today.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Navybuc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:55 am I hate the transfer portal. It’s part of the whole reason I think college football is going down a bad road that’s not good for the game.
Noles1724 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:28 am I admit that I'm kind of bias seeing how FSU has absolutely murdered the portal.. that said something irks me about it. To your point about 'Hey I don't like my coach'.. it's also not fair that a kid comments to a program because of staff only to see the coaches leave (for whatever reason) and then to expect the kid(s) to stay committed to a program when they were committed to the coaches that recruited them.

I've been following the bowl game projections for Clemson, obviously, and for a while now it's been a matchup with Oregon State. That sounded cool and all because that's D.J. Uiagelelei's team. After getting benched at Clemson, he hopped in the portal and headed out there so it would be a bit of a grudge match. At least a little headline material.

Well now guess what? D.J. won't play in any bowl game this year because he just entered the portal again. This time it is supposedly because his coach announced he's leaving for Michigan State.

So there's both aspects of that deal. Two moves now: one because he got benched so he ran crying to another team, and one because his coach ditched the program.

Either way, the guy is now just a mercenary free agent, and a mediocre one, at that. Bad portal is bad.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:23 am The committee has a recency bias. Losses that happened eight weeks ago aren’t as important as losses that happened today.
I'd believe that if there STILL wasn't such an emphasis on conference championships. That's the reason the Big 12 Instituted a conference championship game despite not having the required number of teams. Now it appears that will no longer be the case if I'm correct in thinking they'll make adjustments for the SEC.

A more correct statement would be the committee has bias.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

kaimaru wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:49 pm
Phantom wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:45 pm We want FSU.... we want FSU!
Are you and alumni or fan. I like that they can vote based on merit or worth. I hope the latter as your third string QB sucks
Good thing 2nd string QB will be back for any Bowl game they end up in.

He can operate the offense much better than the true freshman out there last night. Is he Jordan Travis good?? No, but it is a functional offense to pair with that defense
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:38 am
kaimaru wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:49 pm

Are you and alumni or fan. I like that they can vote based on merit or worth. I hope the latter as your third string QB sucks

He can operate the offense much better than the true freshman out there last night. Is he Jordan Travis good?? No, but it is a functional offense to pair with that defense
Rolenhagen (or whatever his name is)? That guy played against the Gators and didn’t look any better. And that defense was far worse than Louisville’s.

If FSU played Georgia, Bama, or Texas, they’d get demolished. Hell, Clemson would have prolly beat them by double-digits last night.
Last edited by Navybuc on Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

LOL.. I believe Michigan would prefer face FSU over Alabama.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:52 am
Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:38 am

Rolenhagen (or whatever his name is)? That guy played against the Gators and didn’t look any better. And that defense was far worse than Louisville’s.
But Louisville kicked Notre Dame crap
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:53 am
Navybuc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:52 am

But Louisville kicked Notre Dame crap
UMass could have beaten ND that night. They were out of gas. Plus ND is not that great, in my opinion. And it pains me to say that.
Snake

Post by Snake »

We need to get past the math of “A beat B, and B beat C, therefore A can beat C.”

Styles make fights. And teams are different at the end of the year than they are at the beginning of the year.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Final 4 plsypff prediction

Michigan vs FSU

Washington vs Texas

Rose Bowl- Oregon vs Ohio State

Orange Bowl- Iowa vs Missouri

Cotton Bowl Penn State vs Georgia
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:27 am We need to get past the math of “A beat B, and B beat C, therefore A can beat C.”

Styles make fights. And teams are different at the end of the year than they are at the beginning of the year.
According to the committee, in their guidelines, they state their goal is to put "The best four teams in" and that an injury to a key player can impact their ranking. Based on those metrics, I have a hard time putting FSU in. Plus, you could argue Alabama had the best overall win of the season, and they have two wins better than FSU's best win, which happens to also be a team Bama beat by double-digits.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The best four teams today are Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, and Georgia.

But there’s a legitimate chance that three of those teams won’t even make the playoffs lol

The PAC is not a serious conference. I’m gonna go with this until they prove me wrong.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:47 am
Snake wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:27 am We need to get past the math of “A beat B, and B beat C, therefore A can beat C.”

According to the committee, in their guidelines, they state their goal is to put "The best four teams in" and that an injury to a key player can impact their ranking. Based on those metrics, I have a hard time putting FSU in. Plus, you could argue Alabama had the best overall win of the season, and they have two wins better than FSU's best win, which happens to also be a team Bama beat by double-digits.
That's a vague, broad statement that doesn't exactly mean anything. Strong case can be made that Georgia, Michigan, Bama and Ohio State are the 4 best teams. And you and I both know there's a 0 % chance of that being the final 4.

Edit: @Snake said it 1st.

We need to stop pretending this "best teams in the country" argument has any merit. If it did you wouldn't have to wait until December to make selections. You can pick the 4 best teams in August.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 am
Navybuc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:47 am

That's a vague, broad statement that doesn't exactly mean anything. Strong case can be made that Georgia, Michigan, Bama and Ohio State are the 4 best teams. And you and I both know there's a 0 % chance of that being the final 4.

Edit: @Snake said it 1st.

We need to stop pretending this "best teams in the country" argument has any merit. If it did you wouldn't have to wait until December to make selections. You can pick the 4 best teams in August.
But we have to look at guidelines. The committee's guidelines say 1) conference championships hold a ton of merit. That hurts OSU and Georgia. 2) A key player's injury can impact a team's ranking. That hurts FSU. 3) Head-to-head matters. That helps Texas over Bama. 4) They've said their goal is to put the best four teams in their minds on the field. That helps Bama big time.

I just don't think FSU is a good team without Travis, and I don't think their resume is also as good as Bama's. If FSU played Bama's schedule, including the SEC title game, ALL without Travis, are you telling me they are still going to go undefeated and would beat Georgia in the SEC title game? And if you have to factor the Travis injury because the committee said that's a factor. I get the Ohio State 2014 argument, but they won 59-0 in their Big 10 title with Jones, who proved that it wasn't as big a dropoff with him in there at QB. FSU has shown there's a huge dropoff from Travis to their No. 2 and No. 3.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

I'm fine with however it turns out. I see merit both ways. The argument is a paradox.

I will say I'm exhausted on this topic after listening the same statements made over and over and over by the broadcast team last night. Good grief
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Noles1724 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:47 am I'm fine with however it turns out. I see merit both ways (xo's vs fandom). The argument is a paradox.

I will say I'm exhausted on this topic after listening the same statements made over and over and over by the broadcast team last night. Good grief
Kress

Post by Kress »

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/spor ... e-protocol
The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
  • Conference championships won,
  • Strength of schedule,
  • Head‐to‐head competition,
  • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
  • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
Texas gets in before Bama, FSU is on the ropes but just won twice - including their conference championship - without their guy. So I remain with:

Michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

I only put FSU before Texas because I give them credit for being undefeated, but it should likely go the other way. And if I went by actual "power rankings" FSU drops down to damn near 8, behind Bama, Georgia, Oregon, and Ohio State.

But, the above was my gut final four last night, and after looking at the above criteria, it remains that way. I do hope they flip 3 and 4, though, because Michigan v. Texas makes a nice title game. I think Washington gets steamrolled by anyone other than FSU, so the above order gives them a free pass to their final ass-whooping.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Lol I met too edit, not quote.. i'm so mdb.. sorry
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'm at tailgate. Please update
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Not sure if something leaked but Bama’s odds just went from +650 to +350 to win title in the last 10 minutes. FSU went from +1700 to +4000. Guess we’ll find out soon.
Last edited by Navybuc on Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:13 pm I'm at tailgate. Please update
Michigan didn’t get in.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don't have time for your stupid joke. Grow up.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Snake wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 am The best four teams today are Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, and Georgia.

But there’s a legitimate chance that three of those teams won’t even make the playoffs lol

The PAC is not a serious conference. I’m gonna go with this until they prove me wrong.

I think if you add Texas those are definitely the top 5

Of the five Id keep OSU or Ga out
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Looks like Alabama in.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

SEC bias reigns
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

Looking at the AP poll…with conference realignment, 12 of the top 13 teams are either SEC or B1G.

Inly FSU isnt
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

As soon as I saw FSU go from +1700 to +4000 10 minutes before the pick, you knew they were dead. Someone leaked something.

Kudos to the committee. They got it right. Bama vs Michigan. Wow.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

FsU out!!!
Snake

Post by Snake »

Florida State fans are pissed af holy…