2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:53 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:14 pm

I disagree. You should never let a player's contract dictate his play time. Also, the way I read it, while 2024 is guaranteed, only 10M of 2025 is guaranteed.
You should. There's a hard salary cap for a reason. It would be foolish to allocate a high 1st on a QB when you KNOW he won't be playing because the guy you currently have has a lot of guarantees on the deal.

Jones deal is tricky. It's fully guaranteed for injury, meaning this QB coming off of an ACL tear would get fully compensated if A. He's not healthy next season and this goes into the following year or B. He gets injured again. And spoiler alert, Jones has been pretty injury prone.
That's a horrible way to run a sports franchise. You're saying if NYG "earns" the #1 overall pick, they should not draft a QB because they already have a highly compensated QB...and that's the only reason they shouldn't?
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I disagree. You should never let a player's contract dictate his play time. Also, the way I read it, while 2024 is guaranteed, only 10M of 2025 is guaranteed.
You should. There's a hard salary cap for a reason. It would be foolish to allocate a high 1st on a QB when you KNOW he won't be playing because the guy you currently have has a lot of guarantees on the deal.

Jones deal is tricky. It's fully guaranteed for injury, meaning this QB coming off of an ACL tear would get fully compensated if A. He's not healthy next season and this goes into the following year or B. He gets injured again. And spoiler alert, Jones has been pretty injury prone.
Assuming he's cleared to play, the Giants could spread the dead cap hit over a couple of seasons at about $20mil each which wouldn't be terrible although it would be weird going from he's the guy to we've got to get rid of him in half of a season.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:43 pm

Assuming he's cleared to play, the Giants could spread the dead cap hit over a couple of seasons at about $20mil each which wouldn't be terrible although it would be weird going from he's the guy to we've got to get rid of him in half of a season.
It was Blake Bortles 2.0
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:38 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:35 pm

I could see it. It really makes me wonder about the dynamic between Jason and ownership.

Do they have such an unwavering belief that they will let him pick his sixth coach in 10 years?
I know he still has his fans here, and I don't want to fight about it, but I don't think he's the right guy for this situation anymore and I'd be happier getting a new vision in that office.
It's a full house cleaning in my opinion, and I'm a Licht apologist. If you're going into this particular draft with a new Head Coach and new QB on the radar I don't think old Jason Licht should be the man pulling that trigger.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 pm True Or False: If we lose to the Panthers, Todd Bowles will be fired within 24 hours.
False. I agree with SR on Pewter Report, Glazers will let it crash and burn to get the best pick we can.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 pm Go for Drake Maye. He can be within grasp if we lose the rest of our games. It'll be hard for us to do that but maybe we can trade up.

We also need the Giants to win games because they are high on him.
The Bears and Cardinals are taking quarterbacks 1-2. Even if one of them wants to entertain offers, the conversation will start with the RGIII package. We aren't getting either.

BTW, boy, I sure hope everyone enjoyed those two epic wins to start the season. Hope it was worth it!
As long as we lose out now we have a great shot. We currently have the 7th pick. Alot of FB left. There are other underdogs to pull for
Kona

Post by Kona »

Glazers have never fired a coach mid season, even through some bad football.

But if we somehow lose to the hapless panthers this weekend, the calls for it will be even louder.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I honestly don't believe the glazers are listening to much of the noise. They know they are best meddling less and letting the football people run things.

They don't have silly emotional attachments to "that one play the entire Rams game came down to". They don't seem to follow or fall in love with college QBs. They don't seem intent on dismantling FO that just delivered a SB 3 years ago.

JL has the keys and everyone in OBP seems bought into trusting the process.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:04 pm I honestly don't believe the glazers are listening to much of the noise. They know they are best meddling less and letting the football people run things.

They don't have silly emotional attachments to "that one play the entire Rams game came down to". They don't seem to follow or fall in love with college QBs. They don't seem intent on dismantling FO that just delivered a SB 3 years ago.

JL has the keys and everyone in OBP seems bought into trusting the process.
Just so I’m clear. If the Bucs miss the playoffs and Bowles is fired after the season, you’ll be okay with this?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Depends on how it happens the state of the team. Despite the usual conspiracy posts trying to start shit, it sounds like the locker room is still very much bought in and believes in this staff and system. As long as their on board it would take something very egregious to get me to rip that from them.

Not saying it can't, it totally can. And should it happen I'll get on your wagon.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If Brady’s last season was more competitive he’d have a longer leash, but we were BAD last year too, and that was with Brady pulling a couple passes out his ass to get us a few wins. They probably should have been 5-12. You go 8-9 with Tom Brady after subsequent 11 and 12 win seasons with a different head coach? Yeah, other things changed, but now..

We’re BAD again in a season after Leftwich was scapegoated for a lot of those issues. The defense has been downright terrible against any offense with a pulse. What’s the excuse now? What has Bowles done to EARN another year at the helm?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:07 pm

The Giants can't afford to be high on any QB not named Daniel Jones. His salaries for the next 2 seasons are guaranteed.

But I do like Maye. Grab him if you can.
That's still 70 million dead cap next year. If the GM who gave him this contract picks a QB a year after making it, he won't be the GM the next day
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:34 pm

That's still 70 million dead cap next year. If the GM who gave him this contract picks a QB a year after making it, he won't be the GM the next day
I only entertain @acmillis for shits and giggles at this point. He is so unserious.
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

My main problem with Bowles is that he keeps DW in on every snap every game. There is no accountability for him....ever. Sit him a quarter and see if it puts fire in him. He's also hurt, so why play him 100% of snaps?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:37 pm My main problem with Bowles is that he keeps DW in on every snap every game. There is no accountability for him....ever. Sit him a quarter and see if it puts fire in him. He's also hurt, so why play him 100% of snaps?
Who we replacing DW with?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Brady last season was a down one for many reasons, one of which was Tom Brady finally going off his cliff. And we can rattle off numbers to show how he was still good, but the only opinion that really matters is Tom Brady’s and he told us everything when he reretired.

Brady said for years he'd play until he no longer felt he had it. He felt he still had it the year prior he blew up his family over it. But the following year, as a free agent free to go and sign with anyone from the 9ers to the fins or jets or anywhere... what does he do? He retires.

I'm glad we got him, I'm glad we got a ring with him, but can we stop pretending 2023 Brady was the same Brady just so we can act extra outraged at Bowles? Who Brady also hand picked for his final year.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 pm Go for Drake Maye. He can be within grasp if we lose the rest of our games. It'll be hard for us to do that but maybe we can trade up.

We also need the Giants to win games because they are high on him.
The Bears and Cardinals are taking quarterbacks 1-2. Even if one of them wants to entertain offers, the conversation will start with the RGIII package. We aren't getting either.

BTW, boy, I sure hope everyone enjoyed those two epic wins to start the season. Hope it was worth it!
Looks like the Bears are going to take this one and get their 4th win too.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:44 pm

You posted a bit too early mate.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

13F11B wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:47 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:44 pm

You posted a bit too early mate.
Well now it looks like they'll pull it out
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Bears win. I forgot, it doesn't matter because they hold Carolinas #1. But if we want to get ahead of their other 1st, we need 1 more loss than them, we hold the tie breaker
Max

Post by Max »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:57 pmjust so we can act extra outraged at Bowles? Who Brady also hand picked for his final year.
What did I just read
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Rattling off the excuses. Your biggest defense for his Jets’ record was QB. Then with us he had the QB but it’s Byron’s fault. Now he hand picks his OC and QB. The offense is mediocre and the defense is bad. How many chances does he get?

We went “all in” as much as we could this year to continue to win. We have failed. Todd has failed. It’s time to start over.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 pm True Or False: If we lose to the Panthers, Todd Bowles will be fired within 24 hours.
False. Glazers don't have the cojones.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:09 pm
Navybuc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 pm Most coaches fired early lose their jobs because they’ve lost the locker room or have an issue with the front office. Not sure that fits the Bowles narrative, but if he loses vs Carolina, there’s definitely gonna be heat by the fans and media to pull the plug sooner rather than later. Problem is because of how embarrassingly bad this division is, even a loss keeps us within a game or two of winning the South.
Bowles hasn't come close to losing the locker room. Fans this year seem to think teams do things for the sake of it. Decisions are made in the league all for the sake of improving. Not a coin flip.
What "fans" are you talking about that seem to think that?
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:37 am Rattling off the excuses. Your biggest defense for his Jets’ record was QB. Then with us he had the QB but it’s Byron’s fault. Now he hand picks his OC and QB. The offense is mediocre and the defense is bad. How many chances does he get?

We went “all in” as much as we could this year to continue to win. We have failed. Todd has failed. It’s time to start over.
93 games coached! 93! Almost 6 full seasons. And a .398 career winning percentage.

The fanbase would be stronger without anyone in it who thinks he deserves to coach here.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:39 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:37 am Rattling off the excuses. Your biggest defense for his Jets’ record was QB. Then with us he had the QB but it’s Byron’s fault. Now he hand picks his OC and QB. The offense is mediocre and the defense is bad. How many chances does he get?

93 games coached! 93! Almost 6 full seasons. And a .398 career winning percentage.

The fanbase would be stronger without anyone in it who thinks he deserves to coach here.
The fact that last year started out strong and faded into crap... coupled with the same pattern this year... coupled with his crappy record with the Jets should be all the evidence we need. He never should have been gifted the job last year, but it is time ownership realizes their mistake.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What?. Sounds like he wants someone like Mike Tomlin or Bill Belichick.
Panthers’ owner David Tepper on what he’s looking for in a new head coach: “I would like someone to be here 20, 30 years. I’d like have someone say the eulogy at my funeral in 30 years. OK, maybe 40 years.”
Snake

Post by Snake »

I hope a family member performs my eulogy. Not an employee. What a weirdo Tepper is turning out to be.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

What's his end game? Even Jim Irsay knows there's a time & place for the BS. This dude overnight has basically told the world He's toxic.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I saw this discussed yesterday. Since Tepper took over in May 2018, he's fired 3 HCs and a GM during the season.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:08 pm I hope a family member performs my eulogy. Not an employee. What a weirdo Tepper is turning out to be.
Self made billionaires are weird.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

It just sounds like hyperbole to me. He wants a coach that will be great and be there for a long time.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Crazy
Panthers owner David Tepper has fired every HC he's employed since buying the team in 2018, all during the season.

•Ron Rivera was fired after Week 13 in 2019.

•Matt Rhule was fired after Week 5 in 2022.

•Frank Reich was fired after Week 12 in 2023.

The Panthers are a team with a rookie QB, poor Oline, no weapons on offense, no 1st round pick in the 2024 draft & an owner who fires everyone. Yikes!

Tepper owns the MLS soccer team CharlotteFC as well, where he’s fired 2 head coaches in a matter of 18 months.

What a disaster of an owner. Be happy he’s not the #Titans owner.