2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Navybuc

Re: 2023 NFL Coaches Hot Seat Thread

Post by Navybuc »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:38 am Anyone "wanting" to keep Fields as their starting QB should really, reallllllly consider buying beach front property in Idaho.
I disagree here. I think Fields has a lot of good things going for him, but has a lot of bad talent around him. I mean outside of DJ Moore, they have nothing offensively, and that includes the offensive line which stinks. I mean, their starting running back right now is a guy who has been tossed around by like five or 6 different teams (Foreman). Their No. 2 WR would probably be a No. 4 or No. 5 on a lot of teams. I think if you trade Fields and Hurts, you don't see much of a different right now between the Eagles and Bears' records.
Last edited by Navybuc on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:40 am No chance they don’t draft Caleb Williams and move off of Fields.

It would behoove the Bucs to bring in Fields. Low risk asset in return. A 6th/7th would be interesting.
I think that would be a mistake, but I like him more than Mayfield.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:40 am No chance they don’t draft Caleb Williams and move off of Fields.

It would behoove the Bucs to bring in Fields. Low risk asset in return. A 6th/7th would be interesting.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That's like saying, "it'd be worth (insert team name here) to bring in Jameis Winston"...

...but why though!?!? He's proven to be turrible. I wouldn't want Fields on this team if it was for free. He's not good. We already have a QB that people think suck (but nobody really knows). Why would we want a QB that we know actually does suck?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:42 am
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:38 am Anyone "wanting" to keep Fields as their starting QB should really, reallllllly consider buying beach front property in Idaho.
I disagree here. I think Fields has a lot of good things going for him, but has a lot of bad talent around him. I mean outside of DJ Moore, they have nothing offensively, and that includes the offensive line which stinks. I mean, their starting running back right now is a guy who has been tossed around by like five or 6 different teams (Foreman). Their No. 2 WR would probably be a No. 4 or No. 5 on a lot of teams. I think if you trade Fields and Hurts, you don't see much of a different right now between the Eagles and Bears' records.
I disagree with your disagreement. :lol:
Chicago has a top-3 rushing attack. CHI's top 2 RBs (Foreman 4.1 ypc and Herbert 4.6 ypc) are good running backs. There was a stat I posted earlier this season saying Fields had the most time to throw in the league. Fields is injury prone, has not developed as he's been in the league longer, and is essentially a rich mans' Taysom Hill. Hard pass.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Is Caleb Williams stock still "generational talent"? I watched a handful of USC football this year and I didn't see generational talent. Maye looks to be a better prospect to me.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:51 am
Navybuc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:42 am

Chicago has a top-3 rushing attack. CHI's top 2 RBs (Foreman 4.1 ypc and Herbert 4.6 ypc) are good running backs. There was a stat I posted earlier this season saying Fields had the most time to throw in the league. Fields is injury prone, has not developed as he's been in the league longer, and is essentially a rich mans' Taysom Hill. Hard pass.
This isn't a defense of Fields. But you can't mention the Bears #3 rushing attack without pointing out the fact that Fields is 2nd on the team in rushing and has a higher ypc average than everyone else on the team.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I put the chances of fields “panning out” as quite low. If we mean pro bowl appearances, deep playoff runs, etc. I don’t think that’s likely.

However, I would rather throw him into the quarterback mix versus a guy like Baker Mayfield. Fields has an arm that is just as good. He’s way more athletic. You can see the upside if things click. It’s unlikely, but so is Trey Lance panning out. Calculated risks that are no more risky than any other 6th round pick. Sort of thing.

He’s also not gonna divide the locker room if you put him on the bench if he loses the competition. Baker is a good professional at this point in his career, but he is the Pied Piper. Some teammates will want him to play just because of his personality, and that can create division.

And a really creative coach could utilize Fields’s skillset. His legs and that arm together can be a big problem in some packages.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:25 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:51 am

This isn't a defense of Fields. But you can't mention the Bears #3 rushing attack without pointing out the fact that Fields is 2nd on the team in rushing and has a higher ypc average than everyone else on the team.
...and that's why I highlighted the YPC for the two major RBs on their roster. If you take away Fields' contributions to the run game, the Bears still average over 150 yards/game which should be every QB's wet dream.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:31 pm I put the chances of fields “panning out” as quite low. If we mean pro bowl appearances, deep playoff runs, etc. I don’t think that’s likely.

However, I would rather throw him into the quarterback mix versus a guy like Baker Mayfield. Fields has an arm that is just as good. He’s way more athletic. You can see the upside if things click. It’s unlikely, but so is Trey Lance panning out. Calculated risks that are no more risky than any other 6th round pick. Sort of thing.

He’s also not gonna divide the locker room if you put him on the bench if he loses the competition. Baker is a good professional at this point in his career, but he is the Pied Piper. Some teammates will want him to play just because of his personality, and that can create division.

And a really creative coach could utilize Fields’s skillset. His legs and that arm together can be a big problem in some packages.
Fields hasn't been the "good soldier" (sit down Kellen Winslow). Remember earlier this year when questioned why he sucks? ...and he said it was the coaching? Dude isn't good, didn't take accountability for not being good, got called out for not being a leader, and then back pedaled to say, "I'd never blame the coaches."
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think that was a minor incident with a lot of ambiguity. He immediately corrected any sort of perceived mistake and that’s really been it.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:40 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:25 pm

...and that's why I highlighted the YPC for the two major RBs on their roster. If you take away Fields' contributions to the run game, the Bears still average over 150 yards/game which should be every QB's wet dream.
Still? They don't even average 150/game now. They average 139. Fields averages 48/game. If my math is correct if you take his contribution away that puts it at 91/game. Where do you come up with 150? I'm genuinely asking.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm all for kicking tires on former high talent to see if there's a revival there. With that said I'd be less thrilled about Fields than I was Mayfield. Liked him less coming out. Like him less today.

But hey, I'm all for letting coaches choose their ingredients. JL seems to as well. If OBP is in agreement on Fields, I think they'll make it happen. But even then I wouldn't be surprised if Trask wins the battle being a year in.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Go for Drake Maye. He can be within grasp if we lose the rest of our games. It'll be hard for us to do that but maybe we can trade up.

We also need the Giants to win games because they are high on him.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 pm Go for Drake Maye. He can be within grasp if we lose the rest of our games. It'll be hard for us to do that but maybe we can trade up.

The Giants can't afford to be high on any QB not named Daniel Jones. His salaries for the next 2 seasons are guaranteed.

But I do like Maye. Grab him if you can.
Snake

Post by Snake »

If given the option, do you think Bill Belichick would want to be given his walking papers and go coach the Chargers, or take a rookie quarterback with the top three pick?
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:59 pm
acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:40 pm

Still? They don't even average 150/game now. They average 139. Fields averages 48/game. If my math is correct if you take his contribution away that puts it at 91/game. Where do you come up with 150? I'm genuinely asking.
Yeah...IDK how I did the math on this one...my bad.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/t ... e/dir/desc

I will say though, that in the games Bagent started, they've rushed for:
133 yards against Carolina
156 against New Orleans
73 against LAC
173 against LV

So, an average of 134/game, which is still really, really good.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:07 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 pm Go for Drake Maye. He can be within grasp if we lose the rest of our games. It'll be hard for us to do that but maybe we can trade up.

The Giants can't afford to be high on any QB not named Daniel Jones. His salaries for the next 2 seasons are guaranteed.

I disagree. You should never let a player's contract dictate his play time. Also, the way I read it, while 2024 is guaranteed, only 10M of 2025 is guaranteed.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I would put the chances of Daniel Jones being the starter in New York next season as less than 50%, personally.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Bears and Cardinals are taking quarterbacks 1-2. Even if one of them wants to entertain offers, the conversation will start with the RGIII package. We aren't getting either.

BTW, boy, I sure hope everyone enjoyed those two epic wins to start the season. Hope it was worth it!
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

True Or False: If we lose to the Panthers, Todd Bowles will be fired within 24 hours.
Let's roll another joint
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 pm True Or False: If we lose to the Panthers, Todd Bowles will be fired within 24 hours.
True
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 pm True Or False: If we lose to the Panthers, Todd Bowles will be fired within 24 hours.
According to the Magic 8 ball "My sources say no."

https://magic-8ball.com/
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

13F11B wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:33 pm

Oh?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I could see it. It really makes me wonder about the dynamic between Jason and ownership.

Do they have such an unwavering belief that they will let him pick his sixth coach in 10 years?
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Glazers have never fired a coach mid-season, even when it was absolutely a foregone conclusion he'd be fired after.

That said, the Junior Glazers had never led the team to royalty before, and I have to think Toilet Bowels dragging them back to mediocrity is rubbing them the wrong way. Especially after he fucking wasted Tom Brady's farewell season.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:35 pm
I could see it. It really makes me wonder about the dynamic between Jason and ownership.

Do they have such an unwavering belief that they will let him pick his sixth coach in 10 years?
I know he still has his fans here, and I don't want to fight about it, but I don't think he's the right guy for this situation anymore and I'd be happier getting a new vision in that office.
Let's roll another joint
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:12 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:59 pm

Yeah...IDK how I did the math on this one...my bad.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/t ... e/dir/desc

I will say though, that in the games Bagent started, they've rushed for:
133 yards against Carolina
156 against New Orleans
73 against LAC
173 against LV

So, an average of 134/game, which is still really, really good.
Okay got you.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Phantom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:35 pm
13F11B wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:33 pm

Oh?
I like your 8-ball better.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

eleventy billion% false. (should he be: eleventy billion% true).
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:14 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:07 pm

I disagree. You should never let a player's contract dictate his play time. Also, the way I read it, while 2024 is guaranteed, only 10M of 2025 is guaranteed.
You should. There's a hard salary cap for a reason. It would be foolish to allocate a high 1st on a QB when you KNOW he won't be playing because the guy you currently have has a lot of guarantees on the deal.

Jones deal is tricky. It's fully guaranteed for injury, meaning this QB coming off of an ACL tear would get fully compensated if A. He's not healthy next season and this goes into the following year or B. He gets injured again. And spoiler alert, Jones has been pretty injury prone.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

False. But you already know that. And you know that as "bad" as we've seemed this year the Panthers are a dumpster fire.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

False. In the case of a loss next Sunday, Todd Bowles should be fired but will not be.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Most coaches fired early lose their jobs because they’ve lost the locker room or have an issue with the front office. Not sure that fits the Bowles narrative, but if he loses vs Carolina, there’s definitely gonna be heat by the fans and media to pull the plug sooner rather than later. Problem is because of how embarrassingly bad this division is, even a loss keeps us within a game or two of winning the South.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:38 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:35 pm

I know he still has his fans here, and I don't want to fight about it, but I don't think he's the right guy for this situation anymore and I'd be happier getting a new vision in that office.
An interim head coach has nothing to do with the Licht being able to pick the next head coach.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 pm Most coaches fired early lose their jobs because they’ve lost the locker room or have an issue with the front office. Not sure that fits the Bowles narrative, but if he loses vs Carolina, there’s definitely gonna be heat by the fans and media to pull the plug sooner rather than later. Problem is because of how embarrassingly bad this division is, even a loss keeps us within a game or two of winning the South.
Bowles hasn't come close to losing the locker room. Fans this year seem to think teams do things for the sake of it. Decisions are made in the league all for the sake of improving. Not a coin flip.