Time to fire Todd Bowles

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Time to fire Todd Bowles

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:39 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:43 am
He pumped all our resources into his defense and it’s atrocious.
Yes, all 12 dollars of cap space.
Keep playing like they did last week and I won't say a word. My guess is that performance will be short lived and forgotten in about 4 days.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 pm
Backside wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:10 pm Aim higher than "maybe being at the top of the absolute worst division in the NFL".

Wanting to be good enough to actually be a top team instead of just pretending is not a bad thing.
Name one of the top teams in the NFL who tanked to get there. I’ll wait.
Off the top of my head, I can name 3 in the last couple years.... Bengals (Burrow), Dolphins (Tua), & Houston (Stroud).
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:52 pm

Off the top of my head, I can name 3 in the last couple years.... Bengals (Burrow), Dolphins (Tua), & Houston (Stroud).
The Bengals didn't tank. They simply sucked. They had a 1st time HC in Taylor who probably shouldn't have gotten the job in the 1st place. But Mike Brown wanted the polar opposite of Marvin Lewis, an older black defensive minded HC with a ton of experience.

Miami damn sure didn't tank winning 5 games and ending up with 5 wins. By your logic Washington, Detroit, NY Giants, LA Chargers, Arizona, and Carolina also tanked that season as they finished with the same or fewer wins than the Dolphins.

Houston if what you're saying is true pulled a bait and switch on their last 2 HCs before Ryans. That team is simply not good. Bad drafting. Bad FA signings. Bad trades. And drama all around in 2021 for them. That isn't tanking.

Even they all did tank, none of them are a top team. Miami, maybe. But they have a lot to prove. Cincinnati is going backwards since they went to the SB 2 seasons ago. Houston isn't there yet.
Most hated man in America.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:52 pm

The Texans won 2 of their final 3 games. They took the Chiefs to OT in the game that they lost. Going from having the number one pick to having the number two pick. 1 drive and a 2 point conversion away from the number 1 pick and they drove down the field scored a TD and went for 2 and the win. That lost them the number 1 pick. That doesn't sound like tanking. A Texans beat writer said that the Texans would have taken Bryce Young if they had the number 1 pick. That might not be true but by them not tanking over the final 3 games they might have gotten the better guy and only time will tell.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Exactly. Texans did the exact opposite of tanking. Seven of their losses were one possession games they just lost... because they weren't a good football team.
Flores LITERALLY FILED A LAWSUIT RATTING ROSS OUT for offering him money to Tank for Tua. Which he got fired for turning down. They tried. They were bad. Really bad. They were outscoured in their first four games before the bye week 163-26.

But you're saying these coaches tanked away their jobs to the unemployment line.... for the good of the franchise? That fired them? That they will be (maybe) be playing AGAINST in their job?

Yeah, leave some tin foil for the food.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Lol. The Texans did the complete opposite of tanking and Lovie got fired for it.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

LOL, I don't know if it's funny or sad that some of you think it's the coaches and players lose on purpose, to tank, and not the GM who puts the team together.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:48 pm LOL, I don't know if it's funny or sad that some of you think it's the coaches and players lose on purpose, to tank, and not the GM who puts the team together.
Who said it was the coaches/players? I don’t think that’s ever the case.

I do imagine there are conversations, or suggestions, initiated by ownership directed at coaches though.

And I definitely think some players are ruled out of games that they could probably play in if the team was in contention.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Sure, owners have infinite job security regardless of how moronic. And like gen pop there are a percentage dumb enough to believe in the kool-aid of tanking, like Ross. And don't care much for the staff that lose their jobs afterwards.

The issue is that it never gets downstream enough to reach the field because asking someone to commit seppuku for you doesn't go well.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:40 pm Sure, owners have infinite job security regardless of how moronic. And like gen pop there are a percentage dumb enough to believe in the kool-aid of tanking, like Ross. And don't care much for the staff that lose their jobs afterwards.

The issue is that it never gets downstream enough to reach the field because asking someone to commit seppuku for you doesn't go well.
Tanking isn’t about players actively trying to lose a game. It’s about player management and game day coaching done in a way that it sabotages the players’ ability to perform to their maximum potential. Be it not clearing injured key players when they’d normally be cleared (holding them out of games) or managing the game in a way that increases the odds of losing. There’s no need to ask the players to tank.

Edit: Lest the above makes anyone think that I think teams tank games, I do not. They may not put their team in the best position to win, though. But I don’t believe they aren out there telling their players to purposely suck.

But, as mentioned, why would coaches purposely risk their job to tank?
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Just read an article about the Bucs creating turnovers and the amount of turnovers committed by the Bucs. The Bucs are 4th in the NFL in forcing turnovers by their opponents. The Bucs 8 turnovers are the 2nd fewest in the NFL. With that turnover differential, you would think that the Bucs would have a winning record.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:34 pm Just read an article about the Bucs creating turnovers and the amount of turnovers committed by the Bucs. The Bucs are 4th in the NFL in forcing turnovers by their opponents. The Bucs 8 turnovers are the 2nd fewest in the NFL. With that turnover differential, you would think that the Bucs would have a winning record.
It may not be translating to wins now, but if they're going to flip the script on wins vs losses, they will need to keep that up.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

We've kept it within a score most games. The line between WL is thin.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:34 pm Just read an article about the Bucs creating turnovers and the amount of turnovers committed by the Bucs. The Bucs are 4th in the NFL in forcing turnovers by their opponents. The Bucs 8 turnovers are the 2nd fewest in the NFL. With that turnover differential, you would think that the Bucs would have a winning record.
They have 8 picks and 8 fumble recoveries. 3 of those ended the half or the game. One was a pick 6. They only have 2 TDs on offense and 3 FGs with the others. Both TDs were on very short fields. From the 6 yard line and the 23 yard line. 2 FGs on take aways when the offense didn't gain a first down. The offense has not been good after a take away. If we do not count the 3 that ended halves or the game and the pick 6 then we have 12 take aways. They have 23 points off of them minus 2 on a safety. 21 points overall. 30 points off of 16 turnovers in all if we strip any context.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Also the Bucs have given up only 2 FGs on D after the offense has given the ball away.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:12 am
CannonFire wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:48 pm LOL, I don't know if it's funny or sad that some of you think it's the coaches and players lose on purpose, to tank, and not the GM who puts the team together.

I do imagine there are conversations, or suggestions, initiated by ownership directed at coaches though.

And I definitely think some players are ruled out of games that they could probably play in if the team was in contention.
So who were you talking about when you said: "The Texans did the complete opposite of tanking and Lovie got fired for it."

You're saying that ownership didn't try to tank?

Also, you didn't say it, but someone else said Miami didn't tank. G.t.f.o.h. with that. Dolphins ownership absolutely did try to tank... Flores just had a good defensive plan and execution to win more than what the ownership wanted. He even said that management wanted to pay him extra to lose.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

One thing I will say about this team is that even though think that Bowles isn't that good of a coach and I don't think that Mayfield is an NFL starter, they both have a good shot at convincing people they're better than what they are. In their last 7 games, I don't think they play any team that I think talent-wise, is better than us. Every one of those games are definitely winnable. The Jags are the only team with a winning record, and I don't think they're all that good.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:25 pm

So who were you talking about when you said: "The Texans did the complete opposite of tanking and Lovie got fired for it."

Also, you didn't say it, but someone else said Miami didn't tank. G.t.f.o.h. with that. Dolphins ownership absolutely did try to tank... Flores just had a good defensive plan and execution to win more than what the ownership wanted. He even said that management wanted to pay him extra to lose.
This is why the NFL needs to go to some sort of lottery system for the top five picks of the draft. Sorta like the NBA does.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:52 pm

This is why the NFL needs to go to some sort of lottery system for the top five picks of the draft. Sorta like the NBA does.
I strongly disagree. Imagine being the Browns going 1-15 then 0-16 and being perhaps one of the worst teams of all time. And then picking 3rd both years because of ping pong balls. Success should not fall into the hands of dumb luck.

The lottery has singlehandedly prevented the full rebuild of several NBA and NHL teams for years
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I’m saying owners certainly have that mentality and I’m sure they try to influence GMs or coaches.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

These Are The Days wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:54 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:52 pm

I strongly disagree. Imagine being the Browns going 1-15 then 0-16 and being perhaps one of the worst teams of all time. And then picking 3rd both years because of ping pong balls. Success should not fall into the hands of dumb luck.

The lottery has singlehandedly prevented the full rebuild of several NBA and NHL teams for years
You're fooling yourself if you don't think dumb luck is always in play.
These Are The Days

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:55 pm
These Are The Days wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:54 pm

Getting Sapp was dumb luck because he had no business falling that far. Randy Moss is a good example too. Not getting an Andrew Luck when you're clearly the worst team in the league and you need a QB is BS. You will set back a team years because of that crap. The whole tanking thing is nonsense.

The Magic finally won a #1 pick since 2004 and they're finally not dog shit after years of being dog shit because the ping pong balls weren't nice.
Last edited by These Are The Days on Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

These Are The Days wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:03 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:55 pm

Getting Sapp was dumb luck because he had no business falling that far. Randy Moss is a good example too. Not getting an Andrew Luck when you're clearly the worst team in the league and you need a QB is BS. The whole tanking thing is nonsense
Sapp falling was most definitely not dumb luck. Same deal for Randy Moss. Character/drug concerns can kill your draft stock. Laremy Tunsil was a top three pick and fell all the way to thirteen thanks to a video of him surfacing of him smoking marijuana through a "bong mask". It had been revealed that Sapp had multiple positive drug tests that were concealed by the Miami Hurricanes coaching staff so he could remain eligible.
Last edited by BuccaNOLEer on Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These Are The Days

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Getting Sapp was dumb luck because he had no business falling that far. Randy Moss is a good example too. Not getting an Andrew Luck when you're clearly the worst team in the league and you need a QB is BS. The whole tanking thing is nonsense
Character/drug concerns can kill your draft stock. Laremy Tunsil was a top three pick and fell all the way to thirteen thanks to a video of him surfacing of him smoking marijuana through a "bong mask". It had been revealed that Sapp had multiple positive drug tests that were concealed by the Miami Hurricanes coaching staff so he could remain eligible.
That's not necessarily what I mean. I picked players who fell due to drugs on purpose. Choosing them is luck you make for yourself. Tyreek Hill today is another good example. But imagine the Bucs picking 4th in 1976 and someone else gets Selmon and then 4th again the next year after 0-14. Lotteries set teams back for years unnecessarily
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

These Are The Days wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:48 pm

Character/drug concerns can kill your draft stock. Laremy Tunsil was a top three pick and fell all the way to thirteen thanks to a video of him surfacing of him smoking marijuana through a "bong mask". It had been revealed that Sapp had multiple positive drug tests that were concealed by the Miami Hurricanes coaching staff so he could remain eligible.
That's not necessarily what I mean. I picked players who fell due to drugs on purpose. Choosing them is luck you make for yourself. Tyreek Hill today is another good example. But imagine the Bucs picking 4th in 1976 and someone else gets Selmon and then 4th again the next year after 0-14. Lotteries set teams back for years unnecessarily
What about a lottery for the 1st 4 picks combined with making the 1st 4 picks work like a snake draft?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

These Are The Days wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:48 pm

Using the NBA is a terrible example. They play 10 players a game. Basketball skills and size translate well from college to pro. Scouting is much more likely to "hit" than in the NFL. Hockey is also another. You only have 1 goalie and 5 to 8 skill players that have to be above average to excellent to succeed. They also are in a lower league for sometimes over a year. The skillsets like NBA skillsets are easier to predict than in the NFL. Some positions are easier to translate than others, but to say you need X and drafting top 3 doesn't mean they won't end up being a JAG or average player
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

100%

The games are uncomparable. Individual players are far heavier weighed.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Sapp falling was most definitely not dumb luck. Same deal for Randy Moss. Character/drug concerns can kill your draft stock. Laremy Tunsil was a top three pick and fell all the way to thirteen thanks to a video of him surfacing of him smoking marijuana through a "bong mask". It had been revealed that Sapp had multiple positive drug tests that were concealed by the Miami Hurricanes coaching staff so he could remain eligible.
Tom Brady draft pick was the dumbest luck of all
I said what I said

BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:57 pm

The funny thing is, when I was seeing him come out of college in 1999, I was telling my buddy who was a Michigan fan that he had all the tools to play in the NFL but very little starting experience and that some team would probably take a late round flier on him and he could surprise some people. Looking back, that's gotta be the understatement of the century.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

And yet multiple times you've cited him as a reason to give Trask a chance. Because "dumb luck" should be something to aim for...But I'm glad you've finally come around.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Best day 2 coach?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:53 am

And yet multiple times you've cited him as a reason to give Trask a chance. Because "dumb luck" should be something to aim for...But I'm glad you've finally come around.
Coming out of college (This is the distinction that you seem to not be able to grasp) Trask was much less of a risk than Brady. And we STILL have no idea if Trask is any good or great even. Same with Brady - they only knew his abilities when they gave him a chance. And even then it wasn’t immediate.
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Babe isn't wrong. That's true for every QB. "If he could be somebody he'd be somebody by now" is the lamest of all cop outs.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for 3 years.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So Trask = Rodgers?