Week 10 Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Four Verticals

Re: Week 10 Discussion

Post by Four Verticals »

Cheb wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:11 pm Trask has:

- Prototypical size
- A strong enough arm to make any throw on the field
- Good feet in the pocket
- A feel for impending pressure.
- Above average accuracy, which imo is one of the top three things you look for in a QB along with footwork and good decision making. 68% career accuracy is college, better than Pat Mahomes had for whatever that's worth.
- Speaking of decision-making, Trask made good ones consistently, reading coverages appropriately and working his way through his progressions like an adult.
- A 17-5 record as a collegiate starter against excellent competition.
- A fourth place finish as a Heisman finalist
- For people that like production and STATS, he has those in spades as a starter, as one would expect since he was voted as being the fourth best player in the country.
- Most impressively from his college film, he throws guys open. He read the leverage of defenders who were covering his receivers and could throw the ball away from said defender so that only his guy had a shot at it.
- He elevated the play of the teammates around him. Both Kyle Pitts and Kadarius Toney looked like otherworldly talents in college when Kyle Trask was throwing them the ball, leading to both of them being drafted in the first round three years ago -- Pitts at fourth overall, Toney at twentieth overall. And both those dudes are looking like busts halfway through their third NFL seasons. A reasonable person could posit that maybe the one who was making plays weren't the dudes catching the rock; maybe it was the guy throwing it.
- Trask wasn't the product of a system that put up impressive production consistently, nor did he benefit from a coach who did the same. Indeed, his college head coach Dan Mullen fell apart after Trask was drafted, as did the whole Florida program. Florida peaked as the #3 team in the country during Trask's senior year; Mullen went below .500 the following season and was summarily fired.

I could go on, but I think you guys get the point.

Folks around here are pretending that Trask was never good at football or something. Dude was a second round pick for a reason, and there was a point just a few months ago where he was in the driver's seat in the head to head competition with Baker Mayfield to be the starting quarterback of this team. And reasonable folks could posit that he was never given a fair shake at the job, as he has never worked with the starters in live action against a NFL opponent, despite Bowles publicly promising those reps and thus an even competitive field.

I am surprised this took multiple pages in this thread to bring these positives up. The only things that Trask is he's not an elite athlete and he has yet to take live good-on-good reps against NFL opposition. Garbage time throwing nine attempts to backups in the Falcons game last year don't count, but if you think they should I wrote a whole long-ass post about that this off-season, so feel free to read up on those reps; spoiler alert they were pretty good actually.

I'll get off my soapbox and watch MNF now. Y'all have a good night.
This is a good post but I will say this about Trask and the Bucs. If Trask had shown anything much behind the scenes....wow moments if you will....I think he'd have gotten a much longer look than what he got in the preseason. My guess is that he hasn't shown anything other than maybe ordinary at best and when it is coupled with his apparent lack of the mobility which I think Canales likes, it all comes down to Mayfield.

That said, I'd like to see Trask just to see what would happen.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:31 pm The point is the NFL isn't rock, paper, scissors. Teams aren't static, gameplans aren't static, chemistry, momentum, lockerroom health, player health, etc, isn't static. Trying to use how one team played against another as a barometer for how you'd play them is foolish. Look no further than the Dolphins, Broncos, Chiefs triangle.

Good teams lose, bad teams win, it's any given Sunday.
On Tuesday I agree with you. The talent level is so close that anything can happen. I do think that given roughly equal talent two teams are separated by coaching. Good coaching also helps players grow where bad coaching stunts any growth.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:55 pm That would literally apply to every loss as everyone has some 3rd string linemen out there, along with a 4th string DB, and a few others. We're 10 weeks into the season.

Funny how for the Bucs it's "egregious" but for the Bengals it's just an "off day".
You are being willfully obtuse and disingenuous at this point. You are seriously telling me that Texans' injuries were at a couple of positions and every team has them? Even if we ignore who wasn't even healthy to play the game, the multitude of injuries that happened during the game (most before halftime) are a nothingburger?

And who said anything about the Bengals? They had a horrible start this year and are currently the worst team in their division. Who is making excuses for the Bengals around here?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I really appreciate the tight rope you are trying to walk right now.

So when you say "a good team", you don't mean the Bengals.... who you seem to be trying to call a bad team without actually saying so by pointing at their record, which you know is not a indicative of who and what they are.