Week 8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Buffalo Bills Official game day thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Pirate Life

Re: Week 8 Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Buffalo Bills Official game day thread

Post by Pirate Life »

Bucs are the only team I have ever seen run a two minute offense and have a seven minute drive. Not sure what's worse, that or whatever they want to call that drive before the half.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Jonny wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:28 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:23 pm Okay. Disappointing. But again... for what this team is, where it is, people were calling blow out.

Now possible walk off win. If nothing else that was some amazing coaching at the end. Damn Godwin, just look a little earlier.
You must have a happy fulfilling life. Your glass half full attitude is one of a kind. I mean this seriously.
Glass always full for him, no matter what. The anti Lugz.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Bootz wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:18 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:04 pm So let me get this straight. It's a one-possession game against a SB favorite and an elite QB late into the 4th quarter and... people are disappointed.
Doc, context matters. Don't be purposely obtuse here.
That's ironic given somehow the context of what this team is, the debt, roster, first year OC, and talent it has been together a few months the expectations are hilarious. Honestly, teams are getting blown out left and right. It is really clear what a bad team looks like in the NFL right now and we aren't that.

There is still plenty of season to shape up and grow together. You want to take a look at what Goff or even Brady's first few games looked like? I don't know how far the offense will come by December, but if it can get good enough and we can keep growing on both sides, I'm down.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Honest question, what do you expect to see from Baker that he has not shown thus far?

He looks like same guy he appeared to be in his previous 3 teams. Same good stuff, same warts.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's the key word there, EXPECT. I don't EXPECT.

I said it in many offseason threads, the odds are the QB answer is not on the roster more than it is. People think that's some sort of indictment or some call to tank but it's actually the reality for most teams, half don't even know it. But the key word is ODDS. It's not 100%. Very high, sure, but not 100%.

So given we know that all that's left to do is play, "well what if I'm wrong". What would it look like if that 5% (that 15%?) somehow snuck through? Well, it wouldn't be instant, it would likely be ugly. It would require the locker room to be all heart all season. It would mean the scheme actually works and just needs to be mastered with, yes, "moar time". It would mean seeing openings and close calls and near misses. It would mean likely losing games you could have won. It would mean young talent stepping up in the second half of the season.

It would mean creeping into the playoffs and then wowing people with a win. It would mean actually making us all eat our words when we said the answer at QB wasn't on the roster. But more than anything it would mean the team coming together, not falling apart.

And you know what, call it half full, but after 7 games I can't say that's not what's playing out here.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Backside wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:25 pm
Doctor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:23 pm If nothing else that was some amazing coaching at the end.
What was impressive about the coaching? Genuinely asking, what did I miss?
Your team was getting beat up all game, but you still managed to give your team a chance at the end. I don't know if you've been paying much attention but more often than not that's not been the case in the league these days. Many HCs would've let bad just turn into worse.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The bills gave them a chance via two fourth down penalties.

I will say, I don’t like Radio 2.0, but I do admit that his teams in Tampa fight to the end.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

Doctor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:54 pm

Your team was getting beat up all game, but you still managed to give your team a chance at the end. I don't know if you've been paying much attention but more often than not that's not been the case in the league these days. Many HCs would've let bad just turn into worse.
That is the bar? Not quitting?
Backside

Post by Backside »

Doctor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:54 pm

Teams making the final score look interesting despite being thoroughly outplayed is SOOO common in this league… that’s what you’re gonna hang your hat o-

You know what, why argue with the eternal optimist? It’s not logical but at least you’ve made your stand, and you won’t be budging. And maybe you shouldn’t. We should all be so optimistic.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Snake wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:33 pm Honest question, what do you expect to see from Baker that he has not shown thus far?

He looks like same guy he appeared to be in his previous 3 teams. Same good stuff, same warts.
I agree, he is that same guy and will never be a starting caliber QB again after this season. But he's still our best option and we can still win this shitty division. It may be pointless from a draft perspective and unnecessarily guarantees Bowles another year, but if we don't win the division, we go back to the pre-Arians era ineptitude that may take another decade to climb out of.
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Baker is a decent QB but NEEDS a run game around him to balance him out. He is not the QB that can carry this team without one. Thats what Bowles and Canales were betting on that White can be the RB1, have the run game and Baker can run the play actions and rollouts. Whatever the reason for the inept run game, without one, Baker will be in trouble as our QB.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:46 am Baker is a decent QB but NEEDS a run game around him to balance him out. He is not the QB that can carry this team without one. Thats what Bowles and Canales were betting on that White can be the RB1, have the run game and Baker can run the play actions and rollouts. Whatever the reason for the inept run game, without one, Baker will be in trouble as our QB.
That’s pretty much every QB unless they can create runs on their own. Baker can’t. At least not consistently.

Love his swagger or moxie or whatever, but his indecisiveness is killing us.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:35 am
Dcbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:46 am Baker is a decent QB but NEEDS a run game around him to balance him out. He is not the QB that can carry this team without one. Thats what Bowles and Canales were betting on that White can be the RB1, have the run game and Baker can run the play actions and rollouts. Whatever the reason for the inept run game, without one, Baker will be in trouble as our QB.
That’s pretty much every QB unless they can create runs on their own. Baker can’t. At least not consistently.

When it works no one complains (Thompson TD in New Orleans, 3rd down run in Minnesota). It ain't working anymore. He just looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

**Sigh** maybe we do need to see what Trask has got. Baker is so maddeningly inconsistent, and he's always been so it shouldn't be a surprise. But it's not really helping.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:51 am

When it works no one complains (Thompson TD in New Orleans, 3rd down run in Minnesota). It ain't working anymore. He just looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

**Sigh** maybe we do need to see what Trask has got. Baker is so maddeningly inconsistent, and he's always been so it shouldn't be a surprise. But it's not really helping.
100%.

I don't understand what happened though? Those first few games he's making all of these timing/anticipation throws with Mike and Chris. Stuff where he was cutting it loose before they even made their breaks. Now he's just holding the ball hoping to find someone wide open or checking it down.

They won't go to Trask though until we're "out of it."
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:51 am

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Don't we pretty much know what Trask has got?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Trask wouldn't be put in because he's an upgrade. Baker isn't playing well though. No it's not just him but a lot of it is. He's playing very timidly.

That said, I didn't expect much this year. No one did honestly. Putting Trask in would finally shut these fanboys up who are enamored with the unknown. He wasn't good enough to move past Blaine Gabbert on the depth chart. He certainly wouldn't be good enough to start for an NFL franchise.
Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:18 am Trask wouldn't be put in because he's an upgrade. Baker isn't playing well though. No it's not just him but a lot of it is. He's playing very timidly.

That said, I didn't expect much this year. No one did honestly. Putting Trask in would finally shut these fanboys up who are enamored with the unknown. He wasn't good enough to move past Blaine Gabbert on the depth chart. He certainly wouldn't be good enough to start for an NFL franchise.
Which is why I want him on the field...to find out. If he's as bad as you think he is, we'll get our pick at a high draft pick. If he doesn't suck, maybe QB isn't a 1st round pick next year.

Either way, IMO, it's a win-win.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Phantom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:20 pm
TonyLip wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:18 pm Image

Church of Canales
@real bucs fan Greatly appreciate your feedback on this matter
I don’t think Canales was a problem yesterday
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:18 am Trask wouldn't be put in because he's an upgrade. Baker isn't playing well though. No it's not just him but a lot of it is. He's playing very timidly.

Especially if the Bucs keep collapsing, we absolutely should play Trask imo. Knowing whether or not Trask can make plays against starting NFL defenses will do a lot to help shape our offseason strategies; if Trask shows promise, we still have a year of cheap control at the quarterback position and could afford to go a different direction in the first few rounds instead of pigeonholing ourselves to getting a quarterback.

But I don't expect this to happen. That would be a sign of punting on the season, and an indicator that Bowles should start packing his office.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Assuming the Bucs continue to lose too often to be in the playoffs which is my expectation, it would be monumentally stupid to not see what they have in Trask unless what has been not seen by the fans is bad enough to have the Bucs not consider him for the future.

The Bucs potentially could move up in the draft standings to be close enough to move further up via trade and grab one of the better QBs available.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Cheb wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:50 pm

Especially if the Bucs keep collapsing, we absolutely should play Trask imo. Knowing whether or not Trask can make plays against starting NFL defenses will do a lot to help shape our offseason strategies; if Trask shows promise, we still have a year of cheap control at the quarterback position and could afford to go a different direction in the first few rounds instead of pigeonholing ourselves to getting a quarterback.

But I don't expect this to happen. That would be a sign of punting on the season, and an indicator that Bowles should start packing his office.
Once the season feels lost - which, we all know its a throwaway season where the team clears the chuffa and cap - Licht needs to go to Bowles and ownership and say, "look, we need to know about Kyle. Like, know know. At least to turn the page on this."

I wouldn't hesitate.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Baker needs to stop thinking and just play, tune out the media/fan noise and just play. Can see this throughout his career... when he's playing without the pressure to preform, he's a fairly decent QB. Soon as he feels the weight of needing to perform, he starts to get indecisive. Lack of a running game isn't helping, I'm sure he's putting extra pressure on himself to be the one to make up the slack.

Play calling/sequencing needs to get better also. Canales has some beautiful route concepts, but he doesn't seem to choose the ones needed for a particular play. Short distance to go? Nothing but long routes. Need to pick up 10? All the routes are 4-7 yards. Would not mind seeing him up in the box, see if it helps his playcalling.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:10 am
Phantom wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:20 pm

@real bucs fan Greatly appreciate your feedback on this matter
I don’t think Canales was a problem yesterday

Okay. Care to elaborate?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

What offensive playmakers did we lose that made us to not be able to score anymore
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Pirate Life wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:37 pm Would not mind seeing him up in the box, see if it helps his playcalling.
Is he playing QB coach as well? If so, then he stays on the field with Baker. If not, I agree because that view will give him the defensive calls (disguises still in play but recognizable).
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:00 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:37 pm Would not mind seeing him up in the box, see if it helps his playcalling.
Is he playing QB coach as well? If so, then he stays on the field with Baker. If not, I agree because that view will give him the defensive calls (disguises still in play but recognizable).
No, Thaddeus Lewis is the QB coach. https://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches ... deus-lewis
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:36 pm What offensive playmakers did we lose that made us to not be able to score anymore
With the O'line pass blocking much improved over last year, the Bucs should be scoring more, not less.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:50 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:36 pm What offensive playmakers did we lose that made us to not be able to score anymore
With the O'line pass blocking much improved over last year, the Bucs should be scoring more, not less.

I kinda thought the last two years have been on the job training for the offensive line. We have Evans and Godwin and it seems White is now moving forward in the passing game but I think we should have much more progression and results coming from others getting snaps. Baker needs to understand his connections with Palmer, Jarrett, Otton, and Durham need to greatly improve into comfortable execution. Make it look easy - practiced..

Throw in the RB snaps too.

If teams concentrate on shutting down Evans and or Godwin we need to have something that works in place that will make defenses pay for that action.

I also think if Kieft could/would protect the ball - we could give him push the RB snaps. I could see that averaging 5 yards a pop.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

It seems to me that Baker is being encouraged to stay in the pocket - is that really ideal for Baker. Yes he has escaped many sacks (wish I knew how many) and took off for positive runs for yardage. The negatives are tipped balls and seeing the field adequately.