Opening W/L odds has Buccaneers as bottom 4 team next season

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: Opening W/L odds has Buccaneers as bottom 4 team next season

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:43 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:45 am As far as what they’re doing in terms of building the 2023 roster they aren’t sacrificing the future to win THIS year. But, they are going to try to win as many games as they can. What’s so wrong with that?

If you want them to tank just say so. I don’t think that strategy builds winning culture and I won’t advocate for it. Especially in April.
Please show me where I said they shouldn't be trying to win this year.

Please show me where I even implied I want them to tank.

It's like saying, "I'm going to have cheap ramen today so I can afford prime rib tomorrow" and you saying, "Oh, so you want to have the nastiest possible lunch today? You don't care about having a good lunch?"

Or saying, "You're investing your money? You must really hate having money right now!"

It's honestly not complicated and I'm beginning to feel like I'm teaching remedial finance at an inner city middle school.
Give reps to younger players. Maximize resources. What roster moves encompass those? Trade Mike? Trade Devin? That’s throwing away the season. AKA tanking.

Don’t sign any veteran free agents. They’ve signed a few guys to one year deals with zero future cap implications including Baker Mayfield. So, go with Trask and… Rookie with the 19th pick or worse. Or a Drew Lock type? That’s throwing away the season. AKA tanking.

You’re not saying the words, but those things you’re suggesting are what they are.

You build the best roster you can. Every year. Try to win every year. Then, sometimes, you get the perfect storm.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Getting rid of devin white isn’t throwing away the season. The performance isn’t matching the name recognition and hype whatsoever.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

You need a great QB to be a Super Bowl contending team. This team needs a plan in place. If the plan is, "Hope Baker or Trask is that guy," it doesn't look very likely from the outside in. My preference is to hedge by compiling 2024 draft assets. I'd love to trade out of this year's first into next year. I'd love to trade White and Evans for 2024 draft capital. You can still go through with the plan of seeing what you have in Trask or hoping Baker is something he hasn't proven himself to be but at least you're in position to make a big move at the top of next year's draft with your additional assets.

Without the QB, there is no window.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Naismith wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:59 am You need a great QB to be a Super Bowl contending team. This team needs a plan in place. If the plan is, "Hope Baker or Trask is that guy," it doesn't look very likely from the outside in. My preference is to hedge by compiling 2024 draft assets. I'd love to trade out of this year's first into next year. I'd love to trade White and Evans for 2024 draft capital. You can still go through with the plan of seeing what you have in Trask or hoping Baker is something he hasn't proven himself to be but at least you're in position to make a big move at the top of next year's draft with your additional assets.

Without the QB, there is no window.
I disagree that you need a great QB to make it to the SB. Good, yes. Great, no. Of course, atm, we don’t have either.
Don't tread on me
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I guess we could just be defining great vs good in different ways but it's been three straight seasons where both teams had great QBs by my definition and 9 out of 10 of the last Super Bowl winning teams had a great QB.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:03 am
MJW wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:43 pm

Please show me where I said they shouldn't be trying to win this year.

Please show me where I even implied I want them to tank.

It's like saying, "I'm going to have cheap ramen today so I can afford prime rib tomorrow" and you saying, "Oh, so you want to have the nastiest possible lunch today? You don't care about having a good lunch?"

Or saying, "You're investing your money? You must really hate having money right now!"

It's honestly not complicated and I'm beginning to feel like I'm teaching remedial finance at an inner city middle school.
Give reps to younger players. Maximize resources. What roster moves encompass those? Trade Mike? Trade Devin? That’s throwing away the season. AKA tanking.

Don’t sign any veteran free agents. They’ve signed a few guys to one year deals with zero future cap implications including Baker Mayfield. So, go with Trask and… Rookie with the 19th pick or worse. Or a Drew Lock type? That’s throwing away the season. AKA tanking.

You’re not saying the words, but those things you’re suggesting are what they are.

You build the best roster you can. Every year. Try to win every year. Then, sometimes, you get the perfect storm.
Tanking = Trying to Lose. I never suggest any such thing. I suggesting building for the future. Again, the lunch analogy.

If you visit the Mike Evans thread, you'll see my thoughts on that crystal clear. HINT: It's the opposite of what you think I said.

Devin White is overrated as hell and trading him for value would be smart no matter what the long term plan.

I never said we shouldn't sign any veterans.

Finally, if you think signing Baker Mayfield is saving our season, Ben Stiller should be playing you in a movie he won't win an Oscar for.

I'm honestly exhausted with explaining myself to people who literally do not read what I fucking write.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

For everyone saying "building for the future is tanking," let me ask you a question:

Should we trade away all of our 2024 draft picks for a solid player who can help us this year?

If you say yes, you're an idiot.

If you say no, fuck you for not doing everything you can to win right now, you loser.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:42 pm For everyone saying "building for the future is tanking," let me ask you a question:

Should we trade away all of our 2024 draft picks for a solid player who can help us this year?

If you say no, fuck you for not doing everything you can to win right now, you loser.
I have a feeling “balance” will suddenly be in vogue.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:42 pm For everyone saying "building for the future is tanking," let me ask you a question:

Good grief. I feel like all I’m asking is… Why are you so upset? They’re literally implementing the plan you want them to. I haven’t read one thing contrary other than they should fire Bowles, but, why..
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Because he's going to try to "save his job" by...

*checks notes*

trying to win for real.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Vegas opened the season with Tampa at 6.5 wins. It ramped up to ~9 wins after a couple wins early.

Back down to 6.5/7.5 range.