Williams or Penix?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BuccaNOLEer

Re: Williams or Penix?

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

After watching the Washington/Oregon game, I've changed my tune. I avoid Penix at all costs. He looks good because he plays in a conference that's known to be a defensive wasteland. He sidearms the ball, is not very accurate, and his deep ball is wobbly and not very deep. This guy has draft bust written all over him.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I don't watch college football, it's like watching paint dry... but my brother loves that crap. He says Drake Maye is the best prospect then Caleb Williams as #2. After them, he said the kid from Michigan and Nix (Oregon???), were the next two best prospects. Penix, he thought would be a guy who'd fall to the back end of round 1 where as the other 4 would be top 10 guys.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:16 pm I don't watch college football, it's like watching paint dry... but my brother loves that crap. He says Drake Maye is the best prospect then Caleb Williams as #2. After them, he said the kid from Michigan and Nix (Oregon???), were the next two best prospects. Penix, he thought would be a guy who'd fall to the back end of round 1 where as the other 4 would be top 10 guys.
I would gamble on Penix with a day three pick but other than that, I stay away. He might be a great college QB but his mechanics won't translate to success in The League. That's the thing with Heisman candidates. A lot of times they put up big numbers because of the situations they are in. The Heisman does not guarantee NFL success, but in defense of the Heisman, it doesn't claim to.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:41 pm
CannonFire wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:16 pm I don't watch college football, it's like watching paint dry... but my brother loves that crap. He says Drake Maye is the best prospect then Caleb Williams as #2. After them, he said the kid from Michigan and Nix (Oregon???), were the next two best prospects. Penix, he thought would be a guy who'd fall to the back end of round 1 where as the other 4 would be top 10 guys.
I would gamble on Penix with a day three pick but other than that, I stay away. He might be a great college QB but his mechanics won't translate to success in The League. That's the thing with Heisman candidates. A lot of times they put up big numbers because of the situations they are in. The Heisman does not guarantee NFL success, but in defense of the Heisman, it doesn't claim to.
That's pretty much what my brother said about him. He said that because teams overpay for QB's is why he thinks Penix will be a later round 1 guy.
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

CannonFire wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:59 pm
BuccaNOLEer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:41 pm

That's pretty much what my brother said about him. He said that because teams overpay for QB's is why he thinks Penix will be a later round 1 guy.
QB is a premium position. Not only do teams overpay for them but they also reach big time for them. I had Trask going early day 3 but the Bucs took him with the last pick of the second round and now they don't trust him to take over as starter.