Bucs you are most excited about for this season

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: Bucs you are most excited about for this season

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:06 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:37 am

As of today, we have $58 million in cap space for next season (10th-most in the NFL), and can create more via cuts and restructures. To pick two moves out of a hat, we clear up $20 million by restructuring Carlton Davis and Vita Vea.

We have some guys we need to resign for sure. Mike Evans, Devin White, and Antoine Winfield I'd say are guaranteed, and depending on how the year shapes out other guys could become priorities.

I am not worried about next year's cap. The only way that would change is if Baker balls out so much that he's looking at a huge extension, in which case I'd wish him the best and collect that sweet comp pick.
Let's define balling out in his quality of play, statistics, and end of season record.
Oh I don't know. Somewhere in Comeback Player of the Year territory, with solid stats and a winning record.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:25 pm

Let's define balling out in his quality of play, statistics, and end of season record.
Oh I don't know. Somewhere in Comeback Player of the Year territory, with solid stats and a winning record.
So you'd prefer not to fall into the Geno Smith conundrum.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:15 pm

I wouldn't call it a conundrum, but suffice to say that I don't think that Baker Mayfield is going to force us to make a hard decision on whether or not to give him a $40 million+ per anum extension.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cheb wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:30 pm

I wouldn't call it a conundrum, but suffice to say that I don't think that Baker Mayfield is going to force us to make a hard decision on whether or not to give him a $40 million+ per anum extension.
Geno is 3 years and $75M. $25M per. So if the Bucs go 10-7 and Baker wins Comeback Player of the Year do we sign him to that deal?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Just curious. What would it take for you to be on the “Baker $40M APY” train? What stats and/or team success?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:36 pm

Geno is 3 years and $75M. $25M per. So if the Bucs go 10-7 and Baker wins Comeback Player of the Year do we sign him to that deal?

No I wouldnt.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:11 am

Which will bring them to a hard decision. Keep Devin or keep Evans/Godwin. There's no way there will be enough money for all three.
As of today, we have $58 million in cap space for next season (10th-most in the NFL), and can create more via cuts and restructures. To pick two moves out of a hat, we clear up $20 million by restructuring Carlton Davis and Vita Vea.

We have some guys we need to resign for sure. Mike Evans, Devin White, and Antoine Winfield I'd say are guaranteed, and depending on how the year shapes out other guys could become priorities.

I am not worried about next year's cap. The only way that would change is if Baker balls out so much that he's looking at a huge extension, in which case I'd wish him the best and collect that sweet comp pick.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers.

According to Spotrac, assuming a salary cap of $240.5mil, which would be the largest ever, the Bucs have $23.4mil in cap room with 40 players under contract. Link below.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

We also still aren't out of the woods with the voided years either. Evans has a voided cap hit of $12.1mil next year. Other players with void hits at least $1mil or more include Baker, LVD, Greg Gaines, AWJ, Matt Feiler.

We need to get back to drafting our stars. Haven't exactly done so since Wirfs & AWJ in 2020. Now both are at the end of their deals. We shouldn't have free agents coming here on deals with voidable years. It's not sustainable.
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:41 pm

Not sure where you're getting your numbers.

According to Spotrac, assuming a salary cap of $240.5mil, which would be the largest ever, the Bucs have $23.4mil in cap room with 40 players under contract. Link below.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2024/

We also still aren't out of the woods with the voided years either. Evans has a voided cap hit of $12.1mil next year. Other players with void hits at least $1mil or more include Baker, LVD, Greg Gaines, AWJ, Matt Feiler.

We need to get back to drafting our stars. Haven't exactly done so since Wirfs & AWJ in 2020. Now both are at the end of their deals. We shouldn't have free agents coming here on deals with voidable years. It's not sustainable.
Overthecap has us at $58 million in space for next year: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/tampa-bay-buccaneers

This far out, having such wild disparity between the two sources is unfortunately common.
Primeminister wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:02 pm

Just curious. What would it take for you to be on the “Baker $40M APY” train? What stats and/or team success?
Undisputed team leader, the reason we are winning games, a top four seed in the playoffs, and among the league leaders in the passing stats that matter (TDs, yards, low picks, completion percentage, etc).

I think the likelihood of that happening is low.

No. I'd rather use that money to resign Mike Evans or Devin White or Antoine Winfield than have Baker and let one of those guys walk.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I hope he makes it tough on us.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:13 pm

No I wouldnt.
I think if that played itself out you’d change your tune.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

No. If Baker did that, he'd command a Daniel Jones type deal.

Baker is 5 years younger than Geno and had never been relegated to being a backup for an extended period of time. Geno was a backup from 2015-2021.

Baker had experienced success as a starter, even winning a playoff game in 2020. Geno had no such success in NY and didn't even last 3 years there as starter.

Baker is a prime candidate for the franchise tag next year. Maybe even transition. But it's continent on him having a great year.
Most hated man in America.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I was gonna put money on that but then I remembered Damar Hamlin lol
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:25 pm

No. If Baker did that, he'd command a Daniel Jones type deal.

Baker is 5 years younger than Geno and had never been relegated to being a backup for an extended period of time. Geno was a backup from 2015-2021.

Baker had experienced success as a starter, even winning a playoff game in 2020. Geno had no such success in NY and didn't even last 3 years there as starter.

Baker is a prime candidate for the franchise tag next year. Maybe even transition. But it's continent on him having a great year.
Tricky with Winfield and White also being candidates for the tag.

Also thinks it’s going to be tough to pass up the low hanging fruit of this QB class even if Baker has a great year.

Looking forward to the discussion all season. Again, I hope Baker makes it a tough call.