Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Primeminister

Re: Mike Evans: Final Season in Tampa?

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:44 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Per Mike Evans, they have been working on the deal for over a year. This isn't some last minute issue. They are simply that far apart either in money, guarantees, and/or length of the contract
If that's true, then this looks even worse for Evans' and his team. Rule #1 in this business should always be secure the bag. Far apart on a deal? Holdout. Make your demands known. He's going into this season with his future unprotected.

He's going to end up like LVD returning to this team on a 1 year deal for much less than market value.
Mike has always been too loyal for his own good
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Primeminister wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:34 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:44 pm

If that's true, then this looks even worse for Evans' and his team. Rule #1 in this business should always be secure the bag. Far apart on a deal? Holdout. Make your demands known. He's going into this season with his future unprotected.

He's going to end up like LVD returning to this team on a 1 year deal for much less than market value.
The Bucs have paid him over $110M.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

That’s currently the 8th most money ever paid to a WR.

I want him to finish his career here, but it’s smart for the Bucs to play this out and not extend him right now if he’s asking for the Kupp deal.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The Gage deal hurt us.

Caused by the Antonio Brown deal.

Caused by Brady thinking what we had wouldnt cut the mustard.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

We need to get this deal done. The amount of people saying "Evans to the Chiefs" in the game thread on Reddit was beyond sickening.

I simply can't handle a reality where Evans is playing for the Chiefs. That is for another, much darker and sadistic, multiverse timeline.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:00 am [That’s currently the 8th most money ever paid to a WR.
That should be completely irrelevant to the Bucs and Evans. In fact that would be a terrible negotiating pinpoint for both sides. If Evans' team brought that up, "only 7 guys at the WR position have earned more than Evans", the Bucs counter would be "wow, so we've paid you handsomely." If the Bucs brought that up, "we've paid you the 8th highest career salary in league history" Evans' team would question whether they believe they don't think they should pay him well anymore and (if they are smart) ask for a trade to a team that will pay him.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:50 am
Primeminister wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:34 am

The Bucs have paid him over $110M.
I'm not sure where you got that figure from, but it's actually a little under $96mil. Link below.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ea ... /all-time/

But career earnings have never been a determining factor in how much a guy gets on his new deal. Major reason is the cap rises annually, sans Covid year. But why should Mike Evans or his team or the Bucs even care that he earned more money playing pro football than Chris Carter & Jerry Rice combined?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:08 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:00 am [That’s currently the 8th most money ever paid to a WR.
That should be completely irrelevant to the Bucs and Evans. In fact that would be a terrible negotiating pinpoint for both sides. If Evans' team brought that up, "only 7 guys at the WR position have earned more than Evans", the Bucs counter would be "wow, so we've paid you handsomely." If the Bucs brought that up, "we've paid you the 8th highest career salary in league history" Evans' team would question whether they believe they don't think they should pay him well anymore and (if they are smart) ask for a trade to a team that will pay him.
Who’s using it in negotiations? I was responding to a post stating Mike has been too loyal to the Bucs, when in fact they’ve paid him handsomely.

I got the figure from spotrac. I think they’re already including his $$ from this season.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:40 am
Bootz wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:08 am

Who’s using it in negotiations? I was responding to a post stating Mike has been too loyal to the Bucs, when in fact they’ve paid him handsomely.

I got the figure from spotrac. I think they’re already including his $$ from this season.
That's the point. What they've paid him previously is completely irrelevant. There's no stopping point to paying for quality talent at any level.

And I posted the link to Spotrac. It's at $95.8mil. Click the link.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-b ... -earnings/

It says $110M there. :shrug:

My point was they’ve paid him exactly like the top end WR he is. So, how has he been “too loyal” to the Bucs?

But, I know who I’m arguing with so I’ll stop wasting my time.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:22 pm https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-b ... -earnings/

It says $110M there. :shrug:

My point was they’ve paid him exactly like the top end WR he is. So, how has he been “too loyal” to the Bucs?

But, I know who I’m arguing with so I’ll stop wasting my time.
#1 $14.5mil of that has yet to be paid :shrug:

#2 He's fallen far behind the going rate for WRs now. That mentality is why Davante Adams is in Las Vegas, Tyreek Hill is in Miami, AJ Brown is in Philly and DeAndre Hopkins is on yet another team. Their original organizations didn't want to pony up so they asked to go elsewhere.

#3 I wasn't the one who said he was too loyal. The fact that you feel the need to make this an "argument" and that you make it personal says a lot more about you than it does me.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Very short sighted of the team to keep Evans this year. They should have already traded him and they should be currently shopping him. There is very little value in having him on the team in 2023.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Naismith wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:44 pm Very short sighted of the team to keep Evans this year. They should have already traded him and they should be currently shopping him. There is very little value in having him on the team in 2023.
We'll leave the long-term thinking to other franchises, thank you. We're trying to go from 3 to 5 wins because yOu pLaY tO wIN DuH gAMe.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:40 pm
Naismith wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:44 pm Very short sighted of the team to keep Evans this year. They should have already traded him and they should be currently shopping him. There is very little value in having him on the team in 2023.
We'll leave the long-term thinking to other franchises, thank you. We're trying to go from 3 to 5 wins because yOu pLaY tO wIN DuH gAMe.
Yeap, who needs extra draft capital and Caleb Williams when we can let Evans walk for free and win too many games to get Williams?
MJW

Post by MJW »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:43 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:40 pm

Yeap, who needs extra draft capital and Caleb Williams when we can let Evans walk for free and win too many games to get Williams?
Exactly.

This season is going to be horrible, we're going to fritter away what trade value our veterans have, and then we're going to win juuuuuust a little too much for Caleb OR Drake Maye. Everyone will get fired, of course. And a year of all our lives will have been wasted.

Oh, but I forgot, Canales is Bill Walsh and we know something about Baker Mayfield the last 3 teams he played for didn't. So, Superbowl.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Sounds like the honeymoon phase is over with the FO and the Gboyz. Reports are starting that the GBoyz have no intention of resigning many franchise names over the next two seasons due to personal finance issues.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:39 am Sounds like the honeymoon phase is over with the FO and the Gboyz. Reports are starting that the GBoyz have no intention of resigning many franchise names over the next two seasons due to personal finance issues.
If they start to cheap out on payroll, it gets real hard to care from a fan perspective.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:39 am Sounds like the honeymoon phase is over with the FO and the Gboyz. Reports are starting that the GBoyz have no intention of resigning many franchise names over the next two seasons due to personal finance issues.
If this is true, then the Glazers should put the team up for sale.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

"If I ain't taking you over Watson or Stafford, you're trash."
-MJW
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:39 am
Notice though he says just for the next two seasons. What they should do is put Man U up for sale. The Glazers are hated in Europe anyway so probably a good time to let go.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I don’t think Bucs will trade during this season, if they do, they’re on hook for $9.2 million in dead money
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

I’ll bet Mike hates dreaming about those dropped Tuddy Passes over and over for awhile….
Maybe
Maybe not.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:04 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:43 pm

Exactly.

This season is going to be horrible, we're going to fritter away what trade value our veterans have, and then we're going to win juuuuuust a little too much for Caleb OR Drake Maye. Everyone will get fired, of course. And a year of all our lives will have been wasted.

Oh, but I forgot, Canales is Bill Walsh and we know something about Baker Mayfield the last 3 teams he played for didn't. So, Superbowl.
Vikings’ fans are ready to tank now. Should we rather be them today?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:13 am
MJW wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:04 pm

Exactly.

Vikings’ fans are ready to tank now. Should we rather be them today?
I can't speak for others, but as much as I sometimes bitch and moan about the possibility of winning ourselves out of a decent Day One pick, come game day, I'm always screaming for a win.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's because...

*enter Herm Edwards*
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I couldn't find a single site, much less reputable reporting this
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

GreatTimes wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:39 am
They are literally up for sale. The stocks wend down for ManU specifically because there were rumors they are going to pull them back off the market
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:24 pm
They signed multiple players heading into this season while spending as much as they possibly could.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:24 pm
Look who wrote it. DD has history of lying.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

One year ago today...
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tread on me