New week one QB poll

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who starts week one?

Mayfield
67%
Trask
19%
Wolford
4%
It makes no difference
11%

Total votes: 27

Bootz

Re: New week one QB poll

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:20 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:00 pm Trask ain't the future. He ain't even the present. His ceiling was limited as it is when he got drafted. He's older than guys like Tua, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, all of whom people seem to think suck and have no future. Yet Trask somehow has "upside" because he's younger than Baker Mayfield.....
This is my mental math on "upside" here:

- Mayfield has proven he has none on the field.
- Trask has not.

That's not the same thing as saying Trask has "upside." Just that upside may exist.
Yea its the "we haven't seen him suck yet, so let's see what he's got" mindset that poisoned this franchise during the Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano and Lovie Smith years. Back then, you get drafted by the Bucs, you had "upside" and were ikely starting whether you've earned it or not.

What I said previously was mainly in response to @Cheb's assessment of what Trask has done to "earn" a starting spot. Absolutely nothing.
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:33 pm

- Trask has not.

That's not the same thing as saying Trask has "upside." Just that upside may exist.
Yea its the "we haven't seen him suck yet, so let's see what he's got" mindset that poisoned this franchise during the Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano and Lovie Smith years. Back then, you get drafted by the Bucs, you had "upside" and were ikely starting whether you've earned it or not.

What I said previously was mainly in response to @Cheb's assessment of what Trask has done to "earn" a starting spot. Absolutely nothing.
You asked for an opinion, you got one.

Trask has looked decent in preseason action. So has Mayfield. Neither of them looked amazing, though with Mayfield it's a very small sample size so who knows. To my eye they are roughly equivalent, and in such a case I would go for the younger guy with upside over the veteran without that selfsame upside. But I ain't on charge at One Buc, so we will see what happens. I fully expect them to start Mayfield.
MJW

Post by MJW »

- Trask has not.

If Mayfield had done anything to earn the job, that would be a much more compelling point. Mayfield's done nothing. Less than nothing, really, considering how awful he's been in practice.

It's a really simple and obvious decision, but one that requires a head coach to make it, not a defensive coordinator wasting 2 years of our lives pretending he's a head coach.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BB tried to get rid of Brady before ring 6 and Nick Sirianni tried to trade for Russ, but according to MJW being a HC is obvious.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:53 am

If Mayfield had done anything to earn the job, that would be a much more compelling point. Mayfield's done nothing. Less than nothing, really, considering how awful he's been in practice.

It's a really simple and obvious decision, but one that requires a head coach to make it, not a defensive coordinator wasting 2 years of our lives pretending he's a head coach.

Didnt help for Tom to go to the restaurant and order every side dish on the menu. Not sorry to say it but Tom didnt want to accept the challenge and make what he had work - no he needed truffels and caviar (outdated).
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Well now we know, and these arguments are moot. Good luck, Mr. Mayfield.
Lordnlkon

Post by Lordnlkon »

Well I hope Mayfield turns his career around. I don’t have high hopes but am rooting for him. I still think Trask ends up starting at some point this season.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

You really hate Baker like a lot. Lol

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

The "I expect him to fail," and the "I want him to fail" lines feel blurred.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:33 pm Well now we know, and these arguments are moot. Good luck, Mr. Mayfield.
Everyone already knew. They just didn't want to accept it.
Most hated man in America.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:54 pm

If you think I hate him, you haven't been reading what I've been posting. He'd be an ideal backup on a good team. But the idea he should be gifted a starting job in the NFL based on what he's done over a pretty large sample size is a farce straight out of the Culverhouse years. Of ccourse, his boss was gifted his job too.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Also, I'm responding to the idea Trask hasn't "earned" the job, as Bootz said. Literally the only thing we have to go on with Mayfield in pewter is practice. And he's been awful. So I reject the idea anyone has "earned" the job.
Let's roll another joint
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

MJW wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:20 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:54 pm

If you think I hate him, you haven't been reading what I've been posting. He'd be an ideal backup on a good team. But the idea he should be gifted a starting job in the NFL based on what he's done over a pretty large sample size is a farce straight out of the Culverhouse years. Of ccourse, his boss was gifted his job too.

I'm for the most part optimistic when it comes to opportunity. Whether a fresh start, something new or unknown. At the end of the day, if I'm wrong about something I have no issue eating Crow and am happy to admit I'm wrong.

You are the first person Ive heard anywhere say he is a back up. Except I'll agree with you if he lays an egg here. Everyone knows this is his last opportunity.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

I don't know how you think he was "aweful" in practice. Again, Brady threw pics in training camp. No one cared because as Arians and Brady both said, it's the perfect place to see what works and what doesn't work. Unlike Trask, Baker was pushing the ball down the field a lot more than Trask was hence the bigger chance of interceptions. So your subjective "aweful" doesn't match what has been reported on multiple sites. You clearly hate Trask and you clearly hate Bowles, your flawed judgement of training camp and what was said before about ints in training camp really proves this
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

MJW wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:22 pm Also, I'm responding to the idea Trask hasn't "earned" the job, as Bootz said. Literally the only thing we have to go on with Mayfield in pewter is practice. And he's been awful. So I reject the idea anyone has "earned" the job.
Bowles just said in his PC, Baker has a better grasp of playbook at this time. There you go, if Bowles is blowing smoke, earned.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Central_Buc wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:33 pm
MJW wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:22 pm Also, I'm responding to the idea Trask hasn't "earned" the job, as Bootz said. Literally the only thing we have to go on with Mayfield in pewter is practice. And he's been awful. So I reject the idea anyone has "earned" the job.
Bowles just said in his PC, Baker has a better grasp of playbook at this time. There you go, if Bowles is blowing smoke, earned.
Bowles also said this was a QB competition. He also claimed he left Trask in last game to see Trask in the 2minute offense…on a drive that began with more than 6 minutes to go in the 2nd. Bowles has stretched “coach speak” to the point of clearly lying so yes I believe he is capable of blowing smoke.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:06 pm

Bowles also said this was a QB competition. He also claimed he left Trask in last game to see Trask in the 2minute offense…on a drive that began with more than 6 minutes to go in the 2nd. Bowles has stretched “coach speak” to the point of clearly lying so yes I believe he is capable of blowing smoke.
Yeah they brought up the "2 min" on locked on :lol:

Bowles actions this preseason has a lot to be desired. (Sitting out starters) and I just think sitting everyone out is just going to increase the chance of injury. Granted, the NFL now isn't what it used to be with full TC and 4 preseason games. Starters would be in for a half except for the final game where they would play 1 series. But most of the players then were in football shape by week 1.

He seems to be coaching scared and him doing that can have a negative effect. Our starters are not in football shape for sitting out this long, so likely, expect an early injury bug. Counterproductive is the keyword here.

Im still optimistic with our chances this year but this is my criticism.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Are you saying we might get to see Mayfield direct two punts against Baltimore?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So since they all started working together for the first time ever just a few months ago the guy who has thousands of more snaps and a familiarity with the language has a better grasp of the playbook than the other guy?

They expect us to believe that nonsense?

Too rational. Needs to be something else. I think the fix was in.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Playbook grasping and all that is complete garbage. Guys have gotten off the couch and won games after two weeks in a system.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Or two days.

“On December 6, 2022, Mayfield was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Rams, who inherited the remaining $1.35 million on his contract. Two days after being claimed off waivers, Mayfield played against the Las Vegas Raiders. In the game, he led the Rams to a game-winning 98-yard drive with no timeouts and 1:45 remaining in the game, which became the longest touchdown drive of his career”
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Doctor wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:28 pm

So since they all started working together for the first time ever just a few months ago the guy who has thousands of more snaps and a familiarity with the language has a better grasp of the playbook than the other guy?

They expect us to believe that nonsense?

Too rational. Needs to be something else. I think the fix was in.
Different OC last year.

I mean I guess it's entirely possible Canales runs the Leftwhich offense.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:52 pm I don't know how you think he was "aweful" in practice. Again, Brady threw pics in training camp. No one cared because as Arians and Brady both said, it's the perfect place to see what works and what doesn't work. Unlike Trask, Baker was pushing the ball down the field a lot more than Trask was hence the bigger chance of interceptions. So your subjective "aweful" doesn't match what has been reported on multiple sites. You clearly hate Trask and you clearly hate Bowles, your flawed judgement of training camp and what was said before about ints in training camp really proves this
Okay, I usually don't do this, but if you're going to say "aweful" in quotes like that multiple times, the word is "awful."

That out of the way, I'm glad to see we're in mid-season form with Baker. Already at the "interceptions are good, actually" phase of things.

And I don't hate anyone. What is with you people that you include this emotion component. What I hate is wasting another year with a coach and quarterback who have no future here. That I hate.
Let's roll another joint
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Spot on.

Now, everyone of us need to just chill. This season can still be entertaining if we temper our expectations to the realm of reality.

Just realize you’re also not sniffing the #1 pick in the next draft because this team is going to win just enough to insure that eventuality never happens. Maybe a top 5 or 6 though. So there’s that.

We’re not going to win many games. If you can see that reality and still find a way to remain a fan of this team, you can probably become a life-long Bucs fan like MJW, me, and many others in here are. Eventually.

The Bucs are good about once a decade. This decade happened in 2020-2022. Gotta what till the 2030’s for the next run. Unfortunately, a few of us here may not be alive to see it.

LFG!!!
Don't tread on me
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

I was there for 0-26, this ain't nothin