Bucs @ Eagles Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Nobody

Re: Bucs @ Eagles Discussion

Post by Nobody »

I just watched the gametape for Eagles vs Chiefs and Cowboys to get an idea about what they do defensively and specifically against teams with significant vertical threat. Notes:

* They don't do very well. Averaged giving up over 42 per. They aren't the worst passing defense in the league, but they're south of average, that is for sure.

* Don't expect much Man. They play an abundance of 2 Deep. They'll play variations of 2 Zone, 6 (2 one side and 4 the other), and straight Match Quarters. Not seeing an abundance of 3 Zone. They don't want to get beat deep. A lot of Off Bail.

* They don't blitz a ton, but when they do, its not typically DBs. They bring ILBs from B to B, often with games (pretty typical these days) and its often Avery.

* Pass Rush is deep. They rotate a ton of players. The threat here is Hargrave so iOL will have to play well. Outside of that, they've got a stable of solid yet unspectacular Edge players.

* A LOT of Penalties on Defense. I mean a lot. Overwhelmingly its the Pass Rushers trying to jump the snap or getting baited. Its often costly as well. The DBs don't get many calls at all (playing as much Off Bail Zone as they do its not surprising).

This is a pretty bog standard defense. This isn't Vic Fangio, Bill Belichick, or Brandon Staley we'll be facing Thursday.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Nobody wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:11 pm I just watched the gametape for Eagles vs Chiefs and Cowboys to get an idea about what they do defensively and specifically against teams with significant vertical threat. Notes:

* They don't do very well. Averaged giving up over 42 per. They aren't the worst passing defense in the league, but they're south of average, that is for sure.

* Don't expect much Man. They play an abundance of 2 Deep. They'll play variations of 2 Zone, 6 (2 one side and 4 the other), and straight Match Quarters. Not seeing an abundance of 3 Zone. They don't want to get beat deep. A lot of Off Bail.

* They don't blitz a ton, but when they do, its not typically DBs. They bring ILBs from B to B, often with games (pretty typical these days) and its often Avery.

* Pass Rush is deep. They rotate a ton of players. The threat here is Hargrave so iOL will have to play well. Outside of that, they've got a stable of solid yet unspectacular Edge players.

* A LOT of Penalties on Defense. I mean a lot. Overwhelmingly its the Pass Rushers trying to jump the snap or getting baited. Its often costly as well. The DBs don't get many calls at all (playing as much Off Bail Zone as they do its not surprising).

This is a pretty bog standard defense. This isn't Vic Fangio, Bill Belichick, or Brandon Staley we'll be facing Thursday.
I think the only way our offense has issues is if Jensen misses due to his hip injury or if we play the sloppiest game we've played all year. Turnovers, big penalties, etc.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Nobody wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:11 pm I just watched the gametape for Eagles vs Chiefs and Cowboys to get an idea about what they do defensively and specifically against teams with significant vertical threat. Notes:

If they’re playing bail all day the Brady will kill them underneath. Should be another good day for AB. If they aren’t sound tacklers he will kill them. This could be a quiet day for Mike as I don’t see him beating them deep.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:51 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm The Saints at best are an 8-8 team. Panthers 7-9, closer to 6-10. Falcons.....Anyway. Winning division should not be a problem. I'd be surprised if it's not wrapped up by early Dec.
Those are some pretty spicy takes you have. You're thinking the Panthers finish the season 4-8? That Saints defense is pretty good. I see them as WC contenders going in to the final week with 9 wins and JW throwing it away, quite literally.
I don't believe in Sam Darnold at all. But he's not even their biggest issue. They just don't have enough talent. Gilmore will help but they aren't very deep. I'm not buying Carolina as a contender.

8-8 with this Saints squad would be a good thing for them and would also be a playoff spot. I'm not sure if you're in tune with the rest of the league but the NFC is not very good. 8-8 will likely be the 6th spot.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

You forgot to mention they were 10th in DVOA. That would be north of average.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I see alot of 2 deep as well from Philly's defense. Which might be why they've been so poor vs the run.

As long as Brady doesn't get too greedy and we can block Hargrave I like our chance to score 30+ again. Which should be plenty vs that Eagles offense.

On defense the Bucs should play alot of zone. Make Hurts win from the pocket throwing for 400yds.

Just keep doing what we've been doing and ensure we score TDs in the RZ instead of FGs. The offense has so many weapons and they smartest QB in NFL history so we have answers to whatever a defense might want to do, we just need to execute is all.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Goeddert is out on Thursday with Covid. Softens the loss of LVD.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:31 pm

You forgot to mention they were 10th in DVOA. That would be north of average.

DVOA and efficiency vs offenses played is the best holistic, contextual metric we have (because of its stableness and predictability), but you have to look at everything (the PPG you love, RZ Scoring %) and then you have to watch the tape and see how the sausage is made.

That last bit is the most important part. You build your case only after you’ve done that.

The tape shows that this is an extremely conservative, predictable, penalty prone defense without a ton of talent that can absolutely be dogwalked up and down the field. The two 40 spots they gave up were helped by bad offense for sure…but this is more poor Mike/Lovie Smith defenses getting wrecked by Jameis than it is 2019 Bowles.
Dread

Post by Dread »

BJJ34 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:50 pm Goeddert is out on Thursday with Covid. Softens the loss of LVD.
Nice. I was worried about Minter or White having to cover him, although I expect less m2m than usual Thursday tbh.
nybf

Post by nybf »

ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am This game scares me a bit. Short week, Brady's hand health is in question, no LVD, an away game. Hurts could gash us running the ball if we're not careful which when combined with our struggling pass defense could put Brady in a position where he HAS to put up 35 to win.

This and the Saints game are the two potential losses I see before the bye. If we pull this off, very good chance we end up 7-1 going into the bye and coming out the other end rested and healthy.
Hahahaha @Primeminister was right. This is lugz
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

nybf wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:20 pm
ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am This game scares me a bit. Short week, Brady's hand health is in question, no LVD, an away game. Hurts could gash us running the ball if we're not careful which when combined with our struggling pass defense could put Brady in a position where he HAS to put up 35 to win.

This and the Saints game are the two potential losses I see before the bye. If we pull this off, very good chance we end up 7-1 going into the bye and coming out the other end rested and healthy.
i don't know, man. Just a bit too positive I think.
Push the damned button already!
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

IronDog wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:43 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:20 pm

i don't know, man. Just a bit too positive I think.
The thin veneer of positivity is there, but you can just feel that wave of negativity begging to be released.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We beat them and we tie the all time series.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Yep! The above post makes me want to go post my blow out win for us.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:08 pm Yep! The above post makes me want to go post my blow out win for us.
I love how you inspire yourself.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Bucs win, they're 5-1 and drive the Iggles to 2-4 and behind on head-to-head tiebreakers, if Dallas collapses.

Bucs lose, they're 4-2 with the Iggles 3-3 and owning the tiebreaker in January.

They know this. The Iggles know this. And it's not too soon to consider playoff implications, losing to the Rams is bad enough but why let the Iggles even into the discussion?

The Bucs need to crush them early so that Brady can sit down as early in the game as possible, hand injuries are problematic and I still don't trust Gabbie.
Patrick McIrish

Post by Patrick McIrish »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm The Saints at best are an 8-8 team. Panthers 7-9, closer to 6-10.
If that's the case they still have a game to play, don't forget 17 game schedule.

The issue with both the Saints and Panthers is both have a better HC than we do.

I agree no sweat winning the division as we simply out talent them for now, the near future that won't be so easy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Patrick McIrish wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:51 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm The Saints at best are an 8-8 team. Panthers 7-9, closer to 6-10.
If that's the case they still have a game to play, don't forget 17 game schedule.

The issue with both the Saints and Panthers is both have a better HC than we do.

I agree no sweat winning the division as we simply out talent them for now, the near future that won't be so easy.
Oh damn you’re right.

Saints 9-8. Panthers 7-10
Nano

Post by Nano »

*mdb mode*

Bucs 13-4

Question is, are we a 13-3 team that lost a game or a 12-4 team that won?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

L
41-33?

Is this Brady's last loss to the Eagles in the Superbowl?

It's pay back time for the fumble with 2:18 to go in the game...
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 pm

If they’re playing bail all day the Brady will kill them underneath. Should be another good day for AB. If they aren’t sound tacklers he will kill them. This could be a quiet day for Mike as I don’t see him beating them deep.

If it's quiet Mike time, If it's short pass Mike time, then it needs to be catch them all Mike time.

The great one's do it routinely... Another day of it's my job man.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I've been posting big scores for us to win, I think Brady could of hit 7 TD's last week, It's in him so I'll call for it again.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Short week on the road and a mountain of injuries. I’ll expect this one to be close.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 am Short week on the road and a mountain of injuries. I’ll expect this one to be close.
All good, I just want Tom to show us the art of Patriot Annihilation, where the head of the opponent is pounded down under the dirt. With his love of our extra weapons (of course).

I need a meme for that with the player waving his hand rag in surrender.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:49 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:39 am Short week on the road and a mountain of injuries. I’ll expect this one to be close.
All good, I just want Tom to show us the art of Patriot Annihilation, where the head of the opponent is pounded down under the dirt. With his love of our extra weapons (of course).

I need a meme for that with the player waving his hand rag in surrender.
Unlikely.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Low scoring or high scoring close?

I'm terrible at predictions, but its difficult to imagine a ton of points not being scored in this game. Losing Goedert should be a huge loss for them. Its going to come down to (a) how much we can contain Hurts in the scramble/off-schedule game and (b) how much can an x-factor on their offense (Gainwell perhaps) make up for that Goedert loss.

I'm feeling 65+ points combined in this one.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Take the under in this game for sure
Dread

Post by Dread »

Nobody wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 am

I'm terrible at predictions, but its difficult to imagine a ton of points not being scored in this game. Losing Goedert should be a huge loss for them. Its going to come down to (a) how much we can contain Hurts in the scramble/off-schedule game and (b) how much can an x-factor on their offense (Gainwell perhaps) make up for that Goedert loss.

Thursday games/short weeks tend to lead to lower scoring games.

We'll see.

Re-watched the Panthers-Eagles game last night and there was alot of space vs that Philly defense.

We need to block #97 in the passing game and we'll be fine.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Dread wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:01 am
Nobody wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:33 am

Thursday games/short weeks tend to lead to lower scoring games.

We'll see.

Re-watched the Panthers-Eagles game last night and there was alot of space vs that Philly defense.

We need to block #97 in the passing game and we'll be fine.
That makes sense. Less time to prepare/gameplan/recover should see defenses doing better than normal across a large distribution of games.

Probably favors teams with a lot of offensive coherency and built-in chemistry as well I would think.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I would like to see the Buccaneers dominate another team's offense once this season. I think there is a chance of that with the Eagles. My understanding from reading articles about Hurts is that he is a much better passer on the run than in the pocket. The Buccaneers have had issues with pocket passers who can read quickly and release the ball quickly. If that is not a strength for Hurts hopefully that will translate to an improved defensive performance tomorrow.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:47 pm
Can’t be stressed enough how big of a loss all three are. Mike Edwards isn’t the player Winfield is.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:35 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:47 pm
Can’t be stressed enough how big of a loss all three are. Mike Edwards isn’t the player Winfield is.
Edwards is a “right place, right time” kinda player. Fluky INTs, fumble recoveries etc. In coverage he’s bad. Very bad. He doesn’t tackle well. Doesn’t have many special traits. AWJ is in a different tier than he is.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Hopefully AWJ is back against the Bears. Being out multiple weeks with a concussion is very concerning.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm Hopefully AWJ is back against the Bears. Being out multiple weeks with a concussion is very concerning.
Yup, always very concerning when a player doesn't clear the protocol within a week to 10 days, which Winfield hasn't.

Luckily we are playing a soft part of the schedule plus it's a short week so teams normally are overly cautious.

If Winfield doesn't clear for the Bears game we have big problems, potentially career ending since Safeties with concussion issues don't stick around long anymore. Hope it doesn't come to that b/c the kid is a heck of a football player with a very bright future.