The future of NFL telecasts?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Buc2

The future of NFL telecasts?

Post by Buc2 »

We're all aware of the broadcast networks' use of video cameras on wires to augment their televised broadcasts.

So, how long before they try using cinema-quality drones to capture the on-field action instead? Just think of the exciting shots they could get.

Check this baby out...

DJI Inspire 3 review
DJI’s latest pro-spec drone delivers a powerful, agile, and versatile solution for professional drone pilots and filmmakers who require the best image quality.

Not sure how noisy these drones might be, though, or even if that would create an adverse situation.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Re: The future of NFL telecasts?

Post by 13F11B »

"What an horrible tragedy unfolded on the field today. A Whirly Bird 3000 cinematic action cam lost control and beheaded the starting QB for the Raiders."

Yeah, great idea :-)
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:48 pm "What an horrible tragedy unfolded on the field today. A Whirly Bird 3000 cinematic action cam lost control and beheaded the starting QB for the Raiders."

It would be entertaining, though.
Don't tread on me
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

13F11B wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:48 pm "What an horrible tragedy unfolded on the field today. A Whirly Bird 3000 cinematic action cam lost control and beheaded the starting QB for the Raiders."

Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

That's one surefire way to get me to watch Raiders highlights.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think the real future is in YouTubes hands.

There are already plenty of youtubers who do their own running color commentary on games. Fans just sink it up and mute the TV. If YouTube embraces this and empowers this sort of thing that will be a massive game-changer.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Kind of a different topic but the prevalence of the Manning cast has me thinking there is a serious market for sports broadcasts that are a little less professional, a little more fun or insightful.

They do it in eSports where there’s the main broadcast as usual but there are also broadcasts done by partner streamers who provide their own unique commentary, very much like the mannings. Some are loud and rowdy, some more knowledgeable than the broadcast team ex. Old players

You can see the nfl experimenting with a “fun” broadcast a little bit with the nickelodeon games too.

I could see this kind of broadcast reach potential viewers that might be otherwise uninterested in something slower like baseball or golf.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

The NFL booth has always been carried by thr color commentator. The Manningcast simply embraces that. With modern giant screen TVs and 4k definition, we can see as well or better than the pro play by play guy reciting the plays like we are on the radio.

The Manningcast simply has two funny guys who happen to know football inside and out, and their friends, going beyond even the role of color commentator. It's almost like you are in their living room and it's a genius move.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:46 pm Kind of a different topic but the prevalence of the Manning cast has me thinking there is a serious market for sports broadcasts that are a little less professional, a little more fun or insightful.

They do it in eSports where there’s the main broadcast as usual but there are also broadcasts done by partner streamers who provide their own unique commentary, very much like the mannings. Some are loud and rowdy, some more knowledgeable than the broadcast team ex. Old players

You can see the nfl experimenting with a “fun” broadcast a little bit with the nickelodeon games too.

I could see this kind of broadcast reach potential viewers that might be otherwise uninterested in something slower like baseball or golf.
I would love to see an "informal" NFL broadcast with every game.

I'd also like to see an "expert level" NFL broadcast with every game. No human interest stories. No color guy yuck yuck yuck. Hard analysis that assumes the viewer knows what 22 personnel is, or who Frank Ryan was.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Or worse...

This just in. A drone equipped with an EMP bomb flew into Raymond James Stadium during a Buccaneers game and detonated the bomb on the 50 yard line, killing and injuring thousands of fans and causing all electricity in the Tampa area to be disabled. FBI officials have determined that the drone was stolen from NBC/Universal by a terrorist group.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

That would clear a lot of cap space real quick
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

#tanking
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

BuccaNOLEer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:18 pm

Or worse...

This just in. A drone equipped with an EMP bomb flew into Raymond James Stadium during a Buccaneers game and detonated the bomb on the 50 yard line, killing and injuring thousands of fans and causing all electricity in the Tampa area to be disabled. FBI officials have determined that the drone was stolen from NBC/Universal by a terrorist group.

As opposed to how they used to do it back in the day

On a serious note, you couldn't fit a warhead on a drone of that size to do much more than make a pop sound. Do you even science, son?
wmgravytrain

Post by wmgravytrain »

@kaimaru @acmillis

Lol thanks for attempting to turn those frowns upside down.

Made me wonder what the over/under would be on how long it would take the NFL to change the game status from “delayed” to “suspended.”

Spoiler alert, I’m betting the over.
MRM

Post by MRM »

TNT used a drone for a NBA playoff game. It kept getting in the main sideline shot, so it only lasted a game. Drones are being used in lots of things now. I would expect one of the networks to use one soon as long as the NFL okays it.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MRM wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:43 pm TNT used a drone for a NBA playoff game. It kept getting in the main sideline shot, so it only lasted a game. Drones are being used in lots of things now. I would expect one of the networks to use one soon as long as the NFL okays it.
A basketball arena is much more confined. I can see how the drone became an obstacle. Football stadiums shouldn’t have as much of an issue with that, if any. I mean, if skycam isnt an issue, I doubt a camera drone would be. Just keep it at a specified height over the action. Maybe let it drift down during breaks in the action to catch some more up close and personal shit. Give the up close footage to NFL Films to incorporate into their highlight films.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Tom Brady would just shoot it from the sky with a well aimed football.