Re: 2022 PGA (Golf)

Post by Snake »

(July 2022)
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:38 pm Image

(July 2022)
So does that mean the PGA golfers are going to be left out? There has to be major contingencies involved in this deal that far exceed what peabrain here has the mental capacity to comprehend.
Most hated man in America.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Reading up on some of the details here about this merger, it's clear the PGA is playing chess. Dirty chess, but chess nonetheless. LIV was dead in the water and this deal completely drowns them put now. The PGA gets the Saudi's money via the Public Investment Fund and the DP World tour all but replaces LIV. Those LIV golfers can't even participate in all of the PGA tournaments.

So the PGA didn't save LIV. Instead of watching them die slowly they put the gun in their mouth and pulled the trigger.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:52 pm Reading up on some of the details here about this merger, it's clear the PGA is playing chess. Dirty chess, but chess nonetheless. LIV was dead in the water and this deal completely drowns them put now. The PGA gets the Saudi's money via the Public Investment Fund and the DP World tour all but replaces LIV. Those LIV golfers can't even participate in all of the PGA tournaments.

So the PGA didn't save LIV. Instead of watching them die slowly they put the gun in their mouth and pulled the trigger.
Whatever the real case, the PGA players are furious and want the head of the PGA fired.

They were told nothing and at this point many think that these players who received up to hundreds of millions of dollars, get the keep that money and just come back like nothing happened. Plus all of their vocal bashing of the Saudi money and the reason why they turned down the deals will be following them anyway. Tiger Woods turned down 800 million from LIV...crazy.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:00 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:52 pm Reading up on some of the details here about this merger, it's clear the PGA is playing chess. Dirty chess, but chess nonetheless. LIV was dead in the water and this deal completely drowns them put now. The PGA gets the Saudi's money via the Public Investment Fund and the DP World tour all but replaces LIV. Those LIV golfers can't even participate in all of the PGA tournaments.

Whatever the real case, the PGA players are furious and want the head of the PGA fired.

They were told nothing and at this point many think that these players who received up to hundreds of millions of dollars, get the keep that money and just come back like nothing happened. Plus all of their vocal bashing of the Saudi money and the reason why they turned down the deals will be following them anyway. Tiger Woods turned down 800 million from LIV...crazy.
Oh it's definitely a dirty game they played. They all but used the players' who stayed loyalty against them to make it appear as if the PGA was strong and solid all the while cultivating this deal behind closed doors.

If I had to guess, all of those PGA players will be given huge paydays as a "oops, my bad" once this deal is finalized.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:24 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:00 pm

Oh it's definitely a dirty game they played. They all but used the players' who stayed loyalty against them to make it appear as if the PGA was strong and solid all the while cultivating this deal behind closed doors.

If I had to guess, all of those PGA players will be given huge paydays as a "oops, my bad" once this deal is finalized.
Obviously some won't be happy with that or they would have taken the massive check from LIV.

Nothing they can do I suppose.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:24 pm

Obviously some won't be happy with that or they would have taken the massive check from LIV.

They had a choice before. Now they don’t if they want to continue to play. They’ll take the money and be made to look like fools thanks to the PGA.

Players really got thrown under the bus.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:41 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 pm

They had a choice before. Now they don’t if they want to continue to play. They’ll take the money and be made to look like fools thanks to the PGA.

Players really got thrown under the bus.
Expect more throwing under the bus going forward.
Bryson DeChambeau’s disastrous CNN interview is a taste of what PGA players should expect after LIV merger

Blake Schuster
June 8, 2023 8:05 am ET
This is the online version of our daily newsletter, The Morning Win. Subscribe to get irreverent and incisive sports stories, delivered to your mailbox every morning. Here’s Blake Schuster.

Bryson DeChambeau is in his second year as a member of the Saudi-backed LIV Golf league. He’s had to comment on all the moral arguments against taking money from notorious abusers of human rights multiple times. And he still can’t get it right.

During a truly disgraceful CNN interview with Kaitlan Collins, DeChambeau was asked to respond to anger from the families of 9/11 victims who hold Saudi Arabia accountable for its role in the attacks. In a statement released Tuesday after the merger was announced, the Families of 9/11 United blasted pro golf as just “more paid Saudi shills”.

So how did Bryson respond? By acting like a paid Saudi shill.

Some selected highlights from DeChambeau’s answer:
  • “I think as time has gone on, 20 years have passed, and we’re in a place where it’s time to start trying to work together to make things better together as a whole.”
  • “We have to look towards a pathway to peace and forgiveness.”
  • “What they’re trying to work on, is be better allies, because we are allied with them. I’m not going to get into the politics of it, I’m not specialized in that.”
  • “What I can say is they’re trying to do good for the world and showcase themselves in a light that hasn’t been seen in a while.”
  • “Nobody is perfect, but we’re all trying to improve in life.”
You don’t have to be a politician or specialize in Middle East history to understand right from wrong. Bryson knows this. He was just sticking to the party line. LIV golfers have routinely sidestepped these issues by saying it’s above their pay grade — which is quite the suggestion when you’re earning upwards of $20 million per year — or that they are simply just golfers trying to grow the game.

“Nobody is perfect” is not close to an acceptable response to survivors and victims of 9/11 if there even is one.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan, who should be out of a job immediately, didn’t have a much better answer on Wednesday when pressed on the same question.

As for the rest of the players on the PGA Tour? They better get ready to answer the same questions — and trot out the same talking points as DeChambeau — because this is their reality now. Monahan can hide from the microphones and cameras. Players can’t. Not when they’re on the course and doing media nearly every single week for much of the year.

At least when LIV was in full-on recruitment mode the players who defected had a choice. The pros who remained on Tour, the ones who foolishly trusted Monahan would look out for them, won’t even get the absurd payday that came with sportswashing on behalf of the Saudis.

You can bet a majority of PGA golfers saw DeChambeau’s comments on Tuesday. More likely than not they know the same questions are coming for them and their options are limited. Denounce the country that now owns pro golf and good luck getting back in the game again. Try to excuse their behavior like Bryson did and get labeled a Saudi shill. Refuse to answer and look like a coward.

The loyalists who stayed with the Tour don’t deserve the inevitable criticism coming their way, but these questions over Saudi financing are coming regardless.

The PGA has backed its players into an awful mess and it’s the guys on the course who will be front facing in the charge to clean things up. Whether they want to or not, this is their reality now.

Surely Bryson will be happy to pass along the company talking points to anyone who needs them.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So they are just gonna call it "equity" that the PGA loyalists would be getting.
Golfers who remained loyal to the PGA Tour -- but not those who left for the LIV Golf League -- would receive equity shares in the new for-profit enterprise being formed by the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, Jimmy Dunne told ESPN on Friday.

Dunne, the PGA Tour policy board member who helped broker this week's stunning deal, said current tour members would receive equity in the new company based on a yet-to-be-determined formula. Several of the tour's top stars, including Hideki Matsuyama, Patrick Cantlay, Jon Rahm and Cameron Young, reportedly turned down guaranteed contracts worth as much as $100 million from LIV Golf League officials.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Jon Rahm to LIV for some $300-$600 million (Even though he said he doesn’t play golf for the money and would never join their tour).

Damn…what is happening to golf? Thought the new merger was gonna end this LIV bullshit and yet guys keep jumping ship. Guess the ratings decline will continue.
SaggyBallZ

Post by SaggyBallZ »

The PGA org is such a grift. Im glad their monopoly is over. Im not super stoked who the competition is but the PGA has sucked from the players perspective
Snake

Post by Snake »

At the end of the day, competition works. Even the latest iteration of the XFL inspired the NFL to change some things.

I don’t love the fact that it’s the bloody Saudis doing this, but at this point I’ll take pretty much anything!