Washington Football Team gets a do-over

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Central_Buc

Washington Football Team gets a do-over

Post by Central_Buc »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wash ... franchise/

Commanders is a no go. So now What's going to be the next team name?

Here's some of my ideas (I really prefer Redskins though)

Hogs
Presidents
Pilgrims
Rattlers
Spartans
Beef Cakes
Diablos
Napolians
Bootz
Pez flavor Burgandy
mdb1958

Re: Washington Football Team gets a do-over

Post by mdb1958 »

Only Redskins.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Red Wolves
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Snake wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:27 amRed Wolves
Yeah I remember A lot of fans in Washington wanted that name in the first place.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Redskins.

Warriors wouldn’t be bad either because it would go well with those old school unis they had with the bow on the helmet.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I like Warriors as well.
Most hated man in America.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Go back to the WFT
Snake

Post by Snake »

Selmon Rules wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:01 am Go back to the WFT
There’s smoke that it’s leaning that way.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Selmon Rules wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:01 am Go back to the WFT
I wouldn't hate that either. Snyder might've done it out of spite but it was a very unique name they came up with.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Most likely Redtails then RedWolves

Here’s the concept helmet

https://417helmets.com/product/washingt ... ll-helmet/
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Red tails would be unique and the WW2 aesthetic would also be neat.

Red wolves is fine as well and keeps the native American aesthetic so I wouldn't be surprised if this wins.

WFT is not terrible, but it's pretty anonymous.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Go back to the redskins with their new logo on the helmets...

BuccaNOLEer

Post by BuccaNOLEer »

Washington Sentinels. And all The Replacements jokes will come out of the woodwork.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

WFT's or Wifties.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Xandtar wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:05 pm Go back to the redskins with their new logo on the helmets...

I like the old Coppertone Suntan Lotion billboard ad with the puppy hanging onto a sunburned young girls bikini bottom.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Phantom wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 am Most likely Redtails then RedWolves

Here’s the concept helmet

https://417helmets.com/product/washingt ... ll-helmet/
That looks sick.
Last edited by Central_Buc on Fri May 26, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Snyder going with Commanders is so very Snyder-y. So generic, so bad. No character.

I vote Red Wolves for the reasons already mentioned. Wolves are cool. Red is cool. Indians are cool. Lets go!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:11 pm Snyder going with Commanders is so very Snyder-y. So generic, so bad. No character.

I vote Red Wolves for the reasons already mentioned. Wolves are cool. Red is cool. Indians are cool. Lets go!

Redskins were skinned red wolves..
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Navybuc wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:47 am Redskins.

Warriors wouldn’t be bad either because it would go well with those old school unis they had with the bow on the helmet.
I thought Warriors was the best name overall. My only negative is that it would seem a little flavor of the month given the Warriors recent dominance in the NBA.

For the Washington football team, it has alliteration on it's side and it still can maintain something of a reference to the native Americans in a non-racist package.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

MJW

Post by MJW »

Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, I'll ask myself a question about football and work through the rosters. It's my way of counting sheep.

The other night, I went with, "Who is each team's best quarterback to play in the last 30 years?" Most were easy.

I got stopped cold with Washington. Like...it HAS to be Kirk Cousins, right? But how? Really? He started there for 3 years. They went 24-23-1 with him. And frankly, there's no close second - he's absolutely the best QB they'd had in a generation.

What a sad/cursed/doomed franchise that is. And unlike most such franchises, it wasn't that long ago they were Royalty. The Hogs? Joe Gibbs? John Riggins? Art Monk? Darrell Green? Manley and Mann? ETC.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Xandtar wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:05 pm Go back to the redskins with their new logo on the helmets...

They would have to replace the hogs in the stands with potato heads.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

MJW wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:27 am Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, I'll ask myself a question about football and work through the rosters. It's my way of counting sheep.

The other night, I went with, "Who is each team's best quarterback to play in the last 30 years?" Most were easy.

I got stopped cold with Washington. Like...it HAS to be Kirk Cousins, right? But how? Really? He started there for 3 years. They went 24-23-1 with him. And frankly, there's no close second - he's absolutely the best QB they'd had in a generation.

What a sad/cursed/doomed franchise that is. And unlike most such franchises, it wasn't that long ago they were Royalty. The Hogs? Joe Gibbs? John Riggins? Art Monk? Darrell Green? Manley and Mann? ETC.
It is a bit of a sad list...

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom ... arterbacks

The Bucs weren't a lot better. Did you know that Brady was only 2 wins away from tying Trent Dilfer for the most wins by a Bucs QB? That should have easily happened last season. Dilfer has the most starts of any Bucs QB with 78. Testaverde was 2nd with 72 and Doug Williams 3rd with 71. Brady had 56 starts for us.

All Bucs QB's sorted by number of wins...
https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/ta ... arterbacks
Don't tread on me
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:27 am Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, I'll ask myself a question about football and work through the rosters. It's my way of counting sheep.

Him or Mark Brunell. Both had similar TD?Int ratios and W/L percentage. But yeah sad list for them
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Redrum wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 am War Pigs

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... 3aUiYRv91M
How about Pigskins ? 😂
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:50 am

The Taters would come in force, dressed up in red baggy clothes. Their kids would come dressed the same way... as Tater Tots.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Xandtar wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 am
GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:50 am

The Taters would come in force, dressed up in red baggy clothes. Their kids would come dressed the same way... as Tater Tots.
Ron (Tater Salad) White would have to be a guest of honor at home games.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Just go back to the fucking Redskins. Nobody actually cared about this. It was just a low hanging fruit topic that NPCs on twitter could use to farm interaction. It will always be the Redskins to NFL fans regardless, so no sense in going through all this performative nonsense to come up with a blue check mark approved name.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:42 am Just go back to the fucking Redskins. Nobody actually cared about this. It was just a low hanging fruit topic that NPCs on twitter could use to farm interaction. It will always be the Redskins to NFL fans regardless, so no sense in going through all this performative nonsense to come up with a blue check mark approved name.
People do actually care about the name, though. Go ask a Native American their thoughts on it. My wife is part American-Indian and lemme tell ya, she has a strong opinion on the Redskins name and it ain't positive.

And as fans of the New York Titans, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Chicago Staleys will tell you, they came to embrace their new monikers of Jets, Steelers, and Bears over time.

A name change is a good thing, especially if it's for the right reasons. Names have power, my friend.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:42 am Just go back to the fucking Redskins. Nobody actually cared about this. It was just a low hanging fruit topic that NPCs on twitter could use to farm interaction. It will always be the Redskins to NFL fans regardless, so no sense in going through all this performative nonsense to come up with a blue check mark approved name.
If no one actually cared then changing the name wouldn't be a big deal at all.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

If no one cared it never would have been changed to begin with.
Don't tread on me
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

liberals with no connection to native Americans cared
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Many years ago I made a foolish assumption that because the logo looks just like the face of an Indian-head nickel and the names for what's now the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Redskins came out of Boston with its Boston Tea Party of Patriots doing cultural appropriation to dump tea into Boston Harbor, that the name derived from that incident. I was justifiably lambasted by my friendly colleagues at whatever version of the TBBBB we were on back then.

I happened to be going to a conference in Boston the following spring and I'd intended to go to the city archives and see what I could find out on the one day I thought I could spare, but my ex-wife decided to attend too with our young son, and then I barely even got to the conference proper. The Constitution was undergoing a refit and its cannons were on shore where we could touch them, and that was cool, but the Redskins/Braves inquiry had to go. I've never been back to Boston to pull the newspaper articles from when the teams were named, and I no longer have interest.

Instead, after the conference I emailed both the Braves and the Redskins for clarification. The Redskins did not reply. In contrast, the Braves were very nice. They said the name came about because the symbol of New York's pre-mafia criminal organization, Tammany Hall, was a native american and either a principal owner or someone very close was a member of Tammany Hall, so that's where the name came from.

If this explanation for the Atlanta Braves carried over to football, then it wasn't about native americans at all, it was about organized crime. But since they never responded, we'll never know. What we do know is, regardless of the origin of the name, it carries a very distinct meaning in this century, and not one they can overcome with a sterile, stale origin story even if they were willing to tell it.

I say come up with something not even a trademark troll can have chosen, say the Killer Whales or the Condors, it's just a name. Or go back to Football Team with an appropriate hand gesture to the trademark troll and wait out his stinking trademarks, it's only a few decades.
Last edited by Xandtar on Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Sdbucs wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:30 pm liberals with no connection to native Americans cared
Didn't realize native Americans had you to decide for them.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

_MB_ wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:33 pm
Sdbucs wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:30 pm liberals with no connection to native Americans cared
Didn't realize native Americans had you to decide for them.
It’s really just common sense. Native Americans are not a loud voice in American culture let alone American sports culture.

Everyone with a brain and eyes knows what group of people tries to police everything cultural

It wasn’t American conservatives pounding the table to rename the Indians