Lamar Jackson: Paid

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Lamar Jackson: Paid

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Re: Lamar Jackson: Paid

Post by Doctor »

Despite all the hooplah and all that it was always the most likely outcome. Can't even recall when a team has signed a player away off a non-exclusive deal.

With that said they were feeling the pressure of the draft.
The Colts, Fins, 9ers or any other team could've made Lamar an offer right after making their selections and the Ravens would've been in a mighty ugly spot during a major weekend.

He should thank Nicole for indirectly helping him out.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Yep, always the most likely outcome.

Hopkins to Baltimore next?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:34 pm Despite all the hooplah and all that it was always the most likely outcome. Can't even recall when a team has signed a player away off a non-exclusive deal.

With that said they were feeling the pressure of the draft.
The Colts, Fins, 9ers or any other team could've made Lamar an offer right after making their selections and the Ravens would've been in a mighty ugly spot during a major weekend.

He should thank Nicole for indirectly helping him out.
I think most of those teams probably were waiting to see how the draft shook out. Ravens were always going to cave though.

Who is Nicole?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Hurts' agent
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Now why couldn't Baltimore just offer this to begin with?

These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Well that wasn't contentious at all
Snake

Post by Snake »

Id like to see structure and all dat
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:01 pm Now why couldn't Baltimore just offer this to begin with?

Look, I love Lamar Jackson but he is not worth more than Patrick Mahomes. End of story. Hell there's an argument to be made he's not worth more than Hurts. I know the guy wins games on his own singlehandedly but is one, **ONE** playoff win worth that much? This would have been a hard pass for me if I was in the Ravens front office.

I don't know. Maybe he's gonna prove me wrong and I have to eat shit. Won't be the first time or the last
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Good for him for getting paid. I think that both him and the Ravens made out well here.

Guess all that drama was for nothing.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Maybe there's none of this drama with an agent but in the end the guy represented himself and became the highest paid QB.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:11 pm Maybe there's none of this drama with an agent but in the end the guy represented himself and became the highest paid QB.
Yeap. Saved a bunch of money from agent fees and got to dictate his own terms.

Not sure why this deal wasn't just offered to begin with but I'm just glad it's over.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Eh. An agent would've likely avoided all this as well as gotten Lamar paid earlier. Lamar missed out on a ton of money (~$66M) the way he handled this, playing out the last couple of years on his rookie deal. Money he will never get back.

It's not quite the 100% guarantee ala Watson, but 70% is a hell of a win. Though it's only $5M more total, Hurts got like 43% so it's a major step up. You bet your ass Burrow and Herbert's agents going to fight for 70-100% being the "new normal". If nothing else it's a big win for QBs and players in general.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:11 pm Maybe there's none of this drama with an agent but in the end the guy represented himself and became the highest paid QB.
Yes and no? The drama isn't nothing. The whole thing wasn't great for his brand, and more importantly - at least for me - he spent like 2 years in limbo about his NFL future. I doubt he enjoyed a minute of it. We act like that doesn't matter because we can't quantify it, but Josh Allen (from the same class) has had his future and NFL home secure since August of 2021.

If an agent could have done the same for Lamar 18 months ago, I doubt that'd be worthless to most guys.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I like it when we're on the same side of things MJW. Let's do it more.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:38 pm
Yes and no? The drama isn't nothing. The whole thing wasn't great for his brand, and more importantly - at least for me - he spent like 2 years in limbo about his NFL future. I doubt he enjoyed a minute of it. We act like that doesn't matter because we can't quantify it, but Josh Allen (from the same class) has had his future and NFL home secure since August of 2021.

If an agent could have done the same for Lamar 18 months ago, I doubt that'd be worthless to most guys.
I didn't get into the guts of everything. There are obviously specifics you can get into and have a much more nuanced discussion, which people see to love now a days. But cover to cover, Lamar Jackson became the highest paid NFL player without an agents help.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Way overpaid. But good for him. Now he needs to back it up and actually win some playoff games.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

These Are The Days wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:16 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:01 pm Now why couldn't Baltimore just offer this to begin with?

Look, I love Lamar Jackson but he is not worth more than Patrick Mahomes. End of story. Hell there's an argument to be made he's not worth more than Hurts. I know the guy wins games on his own singlehandedly but is one, **ONE** playoff win worth that much? This would have been a hard pass for me if I was in the Ravens front office.

I don't know. Maybe he's gonna prove me wrong and I have to eat shit. Won't be the first time or the last
Give it a year or so and watch as Mahomes renegotiates a deal, or either Burrow or Herbert gets extended, that makes this look like a bargain
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

When you know you are the best QB in the league and one of the best to ever play the game, you are not an insecure person and feeling the need to put up fights with your team management over 5-10 Mil more. Mahomes has something that Lamar is still trying to earn, respect from the best of the best. I expect Mahomes to continue to go with team friendly deals and not being concerned always about having to be the highest paid QB.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:55 am When you know you are the best QB in the league and one of the best to ever play the game, you are not an insecure person and feeling the need to put up fights with your team management over 5-10 Mil more. Mahomes has something that Lamar is still trying to earn, respect from the best of the best. I expect Mahomes to continue to go with team friendly deals and not being concerned always about having to be the highest paid QB.
5-10 mil more??

He was originally offered $133mil guaranteed. He made out with $185mil guaranteed. That's over $50mil more. I'd say that was damn well worth the hassle.

But let's talk about your other point here. Mahomes. Have you bothered looking at his deal? The Chiefs basically cannot cut him before 2030 without suffering a major dead cap hit. He has guarantees that are actived 2-3 years ahead of time. This March his 2025 salary & roster bonus fully guaranteed. His cap# is $39.7mil, good for the most by any QB this season. Last year it was $35.7mil, 2nd most.

So I don't know where this fantasy came from that Mahomes contract is "team friendly" came from. Mahomes is very expensive, as he should be. The deal is $450mil over 10 years. The Chiefs ain't getting off cheap.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Because people do this weird thing where they take the best player at the position, look at his salary, and say "THAT's the ceiling, everyone else needs to fall under him."

Of course that's nonsense but that's where that comes from. So yeah, while Mahomes deal is very much a fair market rate, the rates will continue to go up during the life of his deal, making it looks friendlier and friendlier by comparison.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:04 am
Jonny wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:55 am When you know you are the best QB in the league and one of the best to ever play the game, you are not an insecure person and feeling the need to put up fights with your team management over 5-10 Mil more. Mahomes has something that Lamar is still trying to earn, respect from the best of the best. I expect Mahomes to continue to go with team friendly deals and not being concerned always about having to be the highest paid QB.
5-10 mil more??

He was originally offered $133mil guaranteed. He made out with $185mil guaranteed. That's over $50mil more. I'd say that was damn well worth the hassle.

But let's talk about your other point here. Mahomes. Have you bothered looking at his deal? The Chiefs basically cannot cut him before 2030 without suffering a major dead cap hit. He has guarantees that are actived 2-3 years ahead of time. This March his 2025 salary & roster bonus fully guaranteed. His cap# is $39.7mil, good for the most by any QB this season. Last year it was $35.7mil, 2nd most.

So I don't know where this fantasy came from that Mahomes contract is "team friendly" came from. Mahomes is very expensive, as he should be. The deal is $450mil over 10 years. The Chiefs ain't getting off cheap.
When I said 5-10 mil, I meant yearly salary.

Anyways, I believe Mahomes has an extremely team friendly deal from the standpoint of how amazing Mahomes is and how he isn't making 20-25Mil per year more than the second best QB in the league. I believe he is that good and many do as well.

I'm glad Lamar got his demands met. But QBs that fall under "good" category always seem to put up the most fight for these things. Dak, Deshaun, Lamar etc. They want to be paid like "that dude" even if they have not proven they are.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Right on time to prove my point Johnny, thanks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Negotiated all of this without an agent and will be a FA again at age 30

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nicole Lynn was a proxy agent. They took the Hurts deal, added ~10% and called it a day.

Neither side got what they reportedly wanted, which is the true definition of negotiation.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

If you'd have to make a choice on who won based off what was reported, Lamar by far came away happier. Ravens topped out at $133mil fully guaranteed over 3 years. They'll pay him $156mil over 3, with a rolling guarantee that'll kick in in 2026.

For all intents here, the Ravens can't cut him without having a huge dead cap hit at all. And he'll have another bite at it before Josh Allen's deal is even over.