Veteran QB depth - who ya got?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Choose a QB!

Poll ended at Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 pm

Gabbert
No votes
Mayfield
38%
Brissett
13%
Minshew
31%
Mariota
19%
Bridgewater
No votes

Total votes: 16

Snake

Veteran QB depth - who ya got?

Post by Snake »

Only 1. To “push” Trask in training camp and hedge against him being ass by being slightly better than ass.
Phantom

Re: Veteran QB depth - who ya got?

Post by Phantom »

Another one? you gotta be kidding me…

😂
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I wonder who chose Mariota?

No it’s not me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 pm I wonder who chose Mariota?

No it’s not me
Maybe he fits the offense.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:30 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 pm I wonder who chose Mariota?

No it’s not me
Yeah? So you chose him? Interesting
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:30 pm

Nope. Chose Minshew!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 pm

Nope. Chose Minshew!
That’s two votes.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Of all those guys I like Brissett the best but he would undoubtedly be the most expensive.

How about I counteroffer with a veteran QB who was 4-1 last season, with his only loss being to the NFC champs. Cooper Rush could be had for what, $2-3M with some escalators for playing time? I'll take that.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

🤣🤣🤣 What's the goal exactly? Make it thru the year?

The Bucs are stuck in the past with how they approach the QB position.
Most hated man in America.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:32 am 🤣🤣🤣 What's the goal exactly? Make it thru the year?

The Bucs are paying Tom Brady $35M to sit on his couch this year, $24M next year, $13M the next, and then a fourth year of $3M. That's right; four years from now we are going to be paying Tom Brady $250k a month to play with his kids and drink avocado tequila. A total of seventy-five million dollars to a retired player for services rendered and a Superbowl ring.

So yes, we are going to be literally stuck in the past for awhile.

Back to your other point. The goal at quarterback, imo, should be for the Bucs to see what they have in Kyle Trask next season with his inexpensive rookie deal. Best case scenario, those redshirt years paid off like they did with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, and we have a plan moving forward. Worst case scenario, it goes tits up and we have a regrettable season. In either case, having a semi-competent veteran who knows how to read an NFL defense in case that implodes would be prudent, but we haven't the cash to get the good ones.

In a refrain uttered by managers without resources across the country, we need to learn to do more with less.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:50 am
Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:32 am 🤣🤣🤣 What's the goal exactly? Make it thru the year?

The Bucs are paying Tom Brady $35M to sit on his couch this year, $24M next year, $13M the next, and then a fourth year of $3M. That's right; four years from now we are going to be paying Tom Brady $250k a month to play with his kids and drink avocado tequila. A total of seventy-five million dollars to a retired player for services rendered and a Superbowl ring.

So yes, we are going to be literally stuck in the past for awhile.

Back to your other point. The goal at quarterback, imo, should be for the Bucs to see what they have in Kyle Trask next season with his inexpensive rookie deal. Best case scenario, those redshirt years paid off like they did with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, and we have a plan moving forward. Worst case scenario, it goes tits up and we have a regrettable season. In either case, having a semi-competent veteran who knows how to read an NFL defense in case that implodes would be prudent, but we haven't the cash to get the good ones.

In a refrain uttered by managers without resources across the country, we need to learn to do more with less.
Highly likely that when we're getting ready to hire the replacement for the guy who replaces Bowles that we'll still be paying Brady. GEESH!
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I voted for Mayfield, what did I win?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:26 pm I voted for Mayfield, what did I win?
A 5-12 season and around pick #11 in next years draft.
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:31 pm
Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:26 pm I voted for Mayfield, what did I win?
A 5-12 season and around pick #11 in next years draft.
Meh, we can trade up to first overall like Carolina did this year
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Brady's been paid all he's going to be paid by the Bucs according to his contract. His cap hit goes away after this season as well. With void years added to a contract, all of the accounting for the void years rolls into the year the player retires or is traded. Thus the bonus cap values assigned to future years all hit this year and then we are done with him.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Four Verticals wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Brady's been paid all he's going to be paid by the Bucs according to his contract. His cap hit goes away after this season as well. With void years added to a contract, all of the accounting for the void years rolls into the year the player retires or is traded. Thus the bonus cap values assigned to future years all hit this year and then we are done with him.
Good to know. Thanks for clarifying.
Don't tread on me