Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by kaimaru »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:23 pm

I honestly see the two most likely scenarios as:

1) Wirfs stays and Right Tackle and we draft a Left Tackle fairly high. First or second round, anyway. Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones won't reach #19, but maybe Skoronski, maybe Anton Harrison, maybe Jaelyn Duncan in the 2nd, etc.
2) Wirfs moves to Left Tackle and we use some combination of a bargain free agent, a later draft pick, and perhaps Hainsey (college RT) or Goedeke (college RT) to bandage right tackle for the time being.

Personally, I love a third idea: Moving Wirfs to Left Tackle, where I'm 100% confident he'll still dominate, and drafting Dawand Jones, who I think has star RT written all over him. Watch this:

(Yeah, I know he has one really bad rep, but otherwise he's throwing guys into the stands.)
Think he has the movement skills for the zone blocking we're going to be doing going forward?
We were zone blocking, we aren't now. Canales said he will by using the wide zone runs that Seattle has been running the last two years.
MJW

Post by MJW »

_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm Richardson is just so damned inconsistent.
That's not fair. He's pretty consistently bad.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am I don't get the love for Richardson or Levis.
Levis has grown on me, a bit. He's a throwback, Favre style "Oh Well Why Not?" type quarterback. Would I want him as OUR quarterback? No. Would I like him to be in the league? Hell yes. He's going to be fun to watch. I hope the team that takes him just goes full 1977 on this thing and builds an offense around power sets and playaction heaves. Like, 40 runs and 25 bombs a game. The adult in me knows that's stupid, but the kid in me is cookoo for Al Davis/Don Coryell football.

Richardson is the Malik Willis of Tim Tebows.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:09 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm

Think he has the movement skills for the zone blocking we're going to be doing going forward?
We were zone blocking, we aren't now. Canales said he will by using the wide zone runs that Seattle has been running the last two years.
Seeing Dawand Jones just throwing defensive ends into the cheap seats on those wide power runs would be orgasmic.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:54 am
Bootz wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am I don't get the love for Richardson or Levis.
Levis has grown on me, a bit. He's a throwback, Favre style "Oh Well Why Not?" type quarterback. Would I want him as OUR quarterback? No. Would I like him to be in the league? Hell yes. He's going to be fun to watch. I hope the team that takes him just goes full 1977 on this thing and builds an offense around power sets and playaction heaves. Like, 40 runs and 25 bombs a game. The adult in me knows that's stupid, but the kid in me is cookoo for Al Davis/Don Coryell football.

Richardson is the Malik Willis of Tim Tebows.
Reporter: “Why are you going to throw at the combine? You don’t have anything to prove.”

Wil Levis: “I have a cannon. I want to show it off.”

Man, I loved that answer. Cocky mojo swag.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

There's been plenty of bitching about the roster and 2023, so new challenge here: What moves do you make in the draft and FA to give the Bucs the absolute best chance at hitting 10 wins, the division title, and at least a 50/50 shot at winning that WC game?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:09 am There's been plenty of bitching about the roster and 2023, so new challenge here: What moves do you make in the draft and FA to give the Bucs the absolute best chance at hitting 10 wins, the division title, and at least a 50/50 shot at winning that WC game?
@MJW 's head is going to explode.
Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:09 am There's been plenty of bitching about the roster and 2023, so new challenge here: What moves do you make in the draft and FA to give the Bucs the absolute best chance at hitting 10 wins, the division title, and at least a 50/50 shot at winning that WC game?
Not possible.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I have no idea how the Bucs are going to be competitive in 2023. First, in the next 11 days the Bucs need to make roster moves to get under the salary cap. If the Bucs make a lot of moves, it will mean that a lot of players will need to be replaced. Some of those moves could be restructuring contracts, but that would result in the Bucs being in salary cap hell in future seasons. If the Bucs make a couple of very unpopular moves to get out of salary cap hell, the team will be left with gaping holes on the both the offence and defense. Only after the Bucs make those moves is it possible to determine what to do in the draft and what salary restraints allow the Bucs to do in FA. The only thing I can say for now is the Bucs need to draft an OT.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

GreatTimes wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:30 am
I have no idea how the Bucs are going to be competitive in 2023. First, in the next 11 days the Bucs need to make roster moves to get under the salary cap. If the Bucs make a lot of moves, it will mean that a lot of players will need to be replaced. Some of those moves could be restructuring contracts, but that would result in the Bucs being in salary cap hell in future seasons. If the Bucs make a couple of very unpopular moves to get out of salary cap hell, the team will be left with gaping holes on the both the offence and defense. Only after the Bucs make those moves is it possible to determine what to do in the draft and what salary restraints allow the Bucs to do in FA. The only thing I can say for now is the Bucs need to draft an OT.

Pretty good post.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

MJW wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:51 am
_MB_ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:13 pm Richardson is just so damned inconsistent.
That's not fair. He's pretty consistently bad.
As many here have mentioned, I don't get Richardson at all as far as draftability is concerned. I've thought it's a combination of two or three other situations which have occurred. 1. Cam Newton...his physical attributes most closely resemble Cam 2. Josh Allen...guy who was a question coming out of college and is also big with a cannon. Problem is Allen was a lot better in college 3. Jalen Hurts....guy who it was questioned as to whether he could even be a starter in the NFL who improved markedly over a couple of years.

Some teams must see the combination of all three happening with Richardson which will provide a superstar.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Plenty of people have already posted lots of ways we can not only get under the cap but have plenty of cap room.

Further more, why would extensions be "cap hell"? They are only cap hell when it's actually a long bad deal you can get out of, ala Rodgers or Wilson.

The only likely guy who could be "high risk" that we are likely to extend is Shaq. He has a big hit and it would really help to smooth it out. Maybe it's simply as small as offering him $1M more to just make a ton of salary into bonus to spread it out. Maybe it's a bigger deal. Achilles is scary, but we've seen guys like Shruggs come back. Either way, that's really the only scary cap hell move we could be making.

Everyone else we would be extending... well, we damn well should be extending.

Vea 27
Davis 26
White 24
AWJ 24
Shaq 30
Evans 30
Godwin 26
Gage 26
Wirfs 23
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I've gone on about how to get under the cap. See my post in "The Damage" thread for further info. I won't repeat myself here.

Moving forward, here are my general themes for winning the division:

Step one - Play great defense. The quarterbacks in this division suck balls. If we can stop the run and man up an offense's number one dude using CD3, we can spin safeties down into the box to give us favorable numbers in the run game, and most teams in our division thrive on the run. We can win alot of games if we play great D. To that end, I try like hell to get LVD back at a reasonable cost and maybe Gholston to shore up the run D, though I look to draft their replacements in the fourth thru seventh rounds. Dean may be out of our price range, and if he is I wish him well and will draft his replacement or my new nickel corner in the first three rounds.

Step two - Run the damn ball to take pressure off of Trask, keep the defense fresh, and to open up PA opportunities. I want a very balanced attack if I can manage it. To this end, I want a new OT on the roster in the first three rounds of the draft, preferably a LT to keep Wirfs where he is.

Step three - Do not ask Kyle Trask to be a Big Damn Hero every game, as we asked Brady to do last year on a weekly basis. I like Trask and believe in him moving forward, but we are going nowhere if we ask him to play hero ball from the jump. Even Brady started as a game manager, and I would ask Trask to do the same. Make smart plays, keep us on schedule, and don't turn the ball over.

That's the general thrust of my offseason plans if I am Bowles and Licht. We can make that happen if we are smart. And even if we cannot make it happen this year, we can make it happen next season once we are out of cap hell.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:50 am
Plenty of people have already posted lots of ways we can not only get under the cap but have plenty of cap room.

Further more, why would extensions be "cap hell"? They are only cap hell when it's actually a long bad deal you can get out of, ala Rodgers or Wilson.

The only likely guy who could be "high risk" that we are likely to extend is Shaq. He has a big hit and it would really help to smooth it out. Maybe it's simply as small as offering him $1M more to just make a ton of salary into bonus to spread it out. Maybe it's a bigger deal. Achilles is scary, but we've seen guys like Shruggs come back. Either way, that's really the only scary cap hell move we could be making.

Everyone else we would be extending... well, we damn well should be extending.

Vea 27
Davis 26
White 24
AWJ 24
Shaq 30
Evans 30
Godwin 26
Gage 26
Wirfs 23
Extending AWJ will not lower his cap number. Extending Wirfs probably won't either.

Extending Shaq is just the kind of dumbshit 2023 thinking we should avoid like cancer. There's this idea he was still dominant when he got hurt. He wasn't. 3 sacks in 8 games and almost invisible after Week 2. And he's never lived up to that deal regardless. Now he's over 30 and coming off a blown knee. That's a contract we can get out of next year. Extending it so we can have a little extra money now is batshit.

Giving White a huge extension - which is what he'll want - is GM malpractice. We know who he is. He's a splash play guy who is more often than not a liability, and occasionally he takes entire games off. Fuck no. You want to lower his cap charge this year - trade him to a dumber team than us.

Extending Gage is ridiculous for the same reasons extending Shaq is, except at least Shaq is a useful player. Give me a break.

How far you going to extend Vea? He's already under contract until he's 32. Evans has 3 void years to contend with already. You're going to accelerate the hell out of that hit, unless you're planning to sign him until he's 40. I could go on.
Let's roll another joint
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I don't have all of the numbers, but I would be looking hard at shedding volatile performance players/terrible RoI players/prospective contracts.

* Shed DSmith, Fournette, Brate, Succop.

* Restructure whatever you can to get under the cap.

* Trade Devin White for a 3rd if you can get it (no way in hell do I want that albatross prospective contract for a guy who is the same volatile, deeply assignment-unsound player as he was a prospect coming out of LSU). Let LVD walk and go to a Super Bowl contender. It hurts, but let the useful twilight of his career be spent putting up numbers for a team that can compete in the postseason. Start over with a pair of Rookie ILBs (below).

* Draft Stetson Bennett late and see if Trask can beat him out. If Trask can't beat a late round rookie Bennett out to start year 1? Well, the story tells itself.

So I'm thinking of some kind of draft like this. Also, I haven't scouted these prospects except extremely superficially (in contrast with what I've historically done), so take all of this with a grain of salt:

Trade back a hair (couple of picks) in the 1st and pick up a late 2nd or early 3rd:

ROUND 1: EDGE - Nolan Smith. Freaky burst, bend, balance and physical run defender (despite being small) that can finish.

ROUND 2: SAFETY - Sydney Brown. Elite football movement skills, tons of experience/instincts, the ability to play both positions. All the traits this defense needs. ALTERNATIVELY, TACKLE - Dawand Jones. We are going to be an Outside/Stretch Zone offense and this is not an Outside Zone OT. However, Seattle did a ton with their TEs and 12 personnel to help their OTs corner and seal defenders so I don't see why that wouldn't hold for here. If we're going to move Wirfs to LT, go ahead and do it and see if this kid can play in the Outside Zone-heavy scheme with all of the TE help he would get.

ROUND 3: ILB-happy here. Take Jack Campbell and Dorian Williams in 3rd roundish. Coverage instincts, length, and intangibles. Looks like their athletic profiles actually worked out well at the combine (Campbell's 40 time is worthless...look at the broad jump and 3 cone...explosivity, change-of-direction, speed of processing loop). Then go with Jakorian Bennett CB because he's got the athletic profile that this org loves.

ROUND 4: TACKLE - Cody Mauch. Movement player that should be a terrific fit for this Outside Zone-heavy scheme. If we don't go Jones rd 2 (who isn't a technical fit for the scheme), then the NDSU (not a big conference so fits the bill for this regime), might be an option here. If Wirfs moves to LT, then he could compete with Goedeke for RT.

ROUND 5: QB - Stetson Bennett. This is as much a comparative Rorschach test for the team and for Trask himself and a crucible for Trask as it is anything else. If Trask doesn't separate and decisively win OTA, TC, and PS? The story tells itself.

REST OF ROUND 5, 6, 7: S, CB, TE, RB for depth and special teams. Maybe an iDL pass rusher or specialty, rotational big if a promising prospect drops to 5 (or drops to 4 and we can trade up).

Looking at a 2023 of:

QB: Trask/Bennett
RB: White and whoever the eff
TE: Otton, Kieft (we'll be playing a lot of 12)
WR: Evans, Godwin
LT: Wirfs
LG: Leverett/Hainsey (other is depth)
C: Jensen
RG: Mason
RT: Goedeke/Mauch or Jones (other is depth)

EDGE: JTS, Smith (Barrett coming back mid-season or so)
IDL: Vea, (hopefully a bulked up and play-strength increased) Hall, Nacho, bring back Gholston 1 more year for cheap or whomever
ILB: Cambell, Williams
CB: Davis, and whichever young players show best in OTAs, TC, Camp
S: Winfield, Brown

We'll be extremely young on defense, sporting a lot of light boxes and creative fronts (as Bowles does). Would be fun to watch all of those rookies/young players. They'll struggle together...for sure growing pains with the Palms/Match Quarters and Split-Coverage calls in this defense, but there is a lot of football IQ and movement/length on that back end despite the youth. If nothing else, would be intriguing to watch the progression with potential hope for year 2 and 3.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

We should try White at edge. He basically the same size as Noah Smith and Devin has longer arms than Micah Parsons.

He's a liability at traditional LB and his strengths could be maximized at edge.

Draft someone like Jack Campbell to replace White and we should get a double upgrade.

He's on the last year of his deal so fuck it, what's the harm? He's not going to get magically better in coverage in year 5 so cut him loose as a pure pass rusher and see if it sticks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Nobody wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:41 pm I don't have all of the numbers, but I would be looking hard at shedding volatile performance players/terrible RoI players/prospective contracts.

* Trade Devin White for a 3rd if you can get it (no way in hell do I want that albatross prospective contract for a guy who is the same volatile, deeply assignment-unsound player as he was a prospect coming out of LSU). Let LVD walk and go to a Super Bowl contender. It hurts, but let the useful twilight of his career be spent putting up numbers for a team that can compete in the postseason. Start over with a pair of Rookie ILBs (below).

* Draft Stetson Bennett late and see if Trask can beat him out. If Trask can't beat a late round rookie Bennett out to start year 1? Well, the story tells itself.

So I'm thinking of some kind of draft like this. Also, I haven't scouted these prospects except extremely superficially (in contrast with what I've historically done), so take all of this with a grain of salt:

Trade back a hair (couple of picks) in the 1st and pick up a late 2nd or early 3rd:

ROUND 1: EDGE - Nolan Smith. Freaky burst, bend, balance and physical run defender (despite being small) that can finish.

ROUND 2: SAFETY - Sydney Brown. Elite football movement skills, tons of experience/instincts, the ability to play both positions. All the traits this defense needs. ALTERNATIVELY, TACKLE - Dawand Jones. We are going to be an Outside/Stretch Zone offense and this is not an Outside Zone OT. However, Seattle did a ton with their TEs and 12 personnel to help their OTs corner and seal defenders so I don't see why that wouldn't hold for here. If we're going to move Wirfs to LT, go ahead and do it and see if this kid can play in the Outside Zone-heavy scheme with all of the TE help he would get.

ROUND 3: ILB-happy here. Take Jack Campbell and Dorian Williams in 3rd roundish. Coverage instincts, length, and intangibles. Looks like their athletic profiles actually worked out well at the combine (Campbell's 40 time is worthless...look at the broad jump and 3 cone...explosivity, change-of-direction, speed of processing loop). Then go with Jakorian Bennett CB because he's got the athletic profile that this org loves.

ROUND 4: TACKLE - Cody Mauch. Movement player that should be a terrific fit for this Outside Zone-heavy scheme. If we don't go Jones rd 2 (who isn't a technical fit for the scheme), then the NDSU (not a big conference so fits the bill for this regime), might be an option here. If Wirfs moves to LT, then he could compete with Goedeke for RT.

ROUND 5: QB - Stetson Bennett. This is as much a comparative Rorschach test for the team and for Trask himself and a crucible for Trask as it is anything else. If Trask doesn't separate and decisively win OTA, TC, and PS? The story tells itself.

REST OF ROUND 5, 6, 7: S, CB, TE, RB for depth and special teams. Maybe an iDL pass rusher or specialty, rotational big if a promising prospect drops to 5 (or drops to 4 and we can trade up).

Looking at a 2023 of:

IDL: Vea, (hopefully a bulked up and play-strength increased) Hall, Nacho, bring back Gholston 1 more year for cheap or whomever

We'll be extremely young on defense, sporting a lot of light boxes and creative fronts (as Bowles does). Would be fun to watch all of those rookies/young players. They'll struggle together...for sure growing pains with the Palms/Match Quarters and Split-Coverage calls in this defense, but there is a lot of football IQ and movement/length on that back end despite the youth. If nothing else, would be intriguing to watch the progression with potential hope for year 2 and 3.
Let’s call this one “Recipe on how to go 5-12”
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

“Draft Stetson Bennett late and see if Trask can beat him out. If Trask can't beat a late round rookie Bennett out to start year 1? Well, the story tells itself.”

This really is a great idea.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody we don't have a 4th rounder, plus Mauch should get drafted before that.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Bootz wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:09 pm
Nobody wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:41 pm I don't have all of the numbers, but I would be looking hard at shedding volatile performance players/terrible RoI players/prospective contracts.

Looking at a 2023 of:

Let’s call this one “Recipe on how to go 5-12”
5-12 at best. Probably more like 4-13 or 3-14 but, (a) outside of dreaded NFL purgatory, (b) with a large infusion of versatile youth with a lot of experience/football IQ + some high end ceiling promise on the defensive side of the ball for Coach Bowles to learn up for 2024, (c) dealing with some of our impending cap issues now rather than kicking them down the road, and (d) confirmation of what Trask is (or isn't).
Last edited by Nobody on Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:03 pm @Nobody we don't have a 4th rounder, plus Mauch should get drafted before that.
We've got 2 x 5th/6th/7ths and I'm imagining both a minor tradeback in the 1st + a trade for Devin White that maybe nets a 3rd and a 4th in return (or maybe just a 4th). We should be able to wrangle a 4th out of those assets via trade/trade-up.

I'm seeing Mauch anywhere from around 60 to 90th prospect, so late 2 to late 3. Maybe he slips a bit to early 4th because there is a mid-rounds run on another position. Who knows. But you can move the CB I have in rd 3 to 4 (he might be there) and put Mauch in that group in rd 3.

I was just poking around, doing some seriously superficial work on checking out a few prospects here and there and this group of guys hit my radar.

I'll take an infusion of high IQ talent at LBer and Safety, an explosive burst & bend Edge, and a potentially promising CB on the defensive side of the ball in 2023, a rookie to compete with (or expose) Trask at QB, and a rookie RT to compete with Goedeke. That seems, to me, to be a pretty hopeful haul for (not 2023) 2024.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I like this - Jack Campbell and Dorian Williams. I'm also curious about a linebacker named Greenhagen..
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:54 pm We should try White at edge. He basically the same size as Noah Smith and Devin has longer arms than Micah Parsons.

He's a liability at traditional LB and his strengths could be maximized at edge.

Draft someone like Jack Campbell to replace White and we should get a double upgrade.

He's on the last year of his deal so fuck it, what's the harm? He's not going to get magically better in coverage in year 5 so cut him loose as a pure pass rusher and see if it sticks.
I don’t think he’d win much one on one against tackles. They swallow him up pretty regularly.

All his splash plays seem like they’re usually schemed up blitzes by Bowles.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:20 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:54 pm We should try White at edge. He basically the same size as Noah Smith and Devin has longer arms than Micah Parsons.

I don’t think he’d win much one on one against tackles. They swallow him up pretty regularly.

Isn't that how all plays happen? Because of how coaching schemes it up?

/thread
reagan SMASH

Post by reagan SMASH »

Is Zach Wilson untouchably bad/is there any hope of saving him? And if so, would you want us to try in Tampa? It's not often a team gives up on a top 3 pick so early in their career (and I'm no expert evaluator), so just wondering.
MJW

Post by MJW »

reagan SMASH wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:02 am Is Zach Wilson untouchably bad/is there any hope of saving him? And if so, would you want us to try in Tampa? It's not often a team gives up on a top 3 pick so early in their career (and I'm no expert evaluator), so just wondering.
He just sounds like an immature piece of crap. Normally I'd be all over this, but the way the Jets Organization/Fans talk about the guy...I'd rather just focus on Trask right now.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:20 pm

Double edge blitz threat and one drops into coverage.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Devin White posting things that sound like he is gone. Rick Stroud saying he hasn’t heard anything about a trade.

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 am Devin White posting things that sound like he is gone. Rick Stroud saying he hasn’t heard anything about a trade.

This sounds like he has no intention to play on an option. Likely wants a new deal and plans to holdout.
Backside

Post by Backside »

What is his trade value? I know the board is quite split on him, I find myself around the middle of that argument. One thing is for sure though, he's not nearly as good as he thinks he is.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I'm 100% okay with trading him. I don't believe he's worth the contract he'd be asking for.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:35 am
Primeminister wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 am Devin White posting things that sound like he is gone. Rick Stroud saying he hasn’t heard anything about a trade.

This sounds like he has no intention to play on an option. Likely wants a new deal and plans to holdout.
Yeah that may be the case. This is a part of rebuilding without a set QB option. Players are willing to take less when there is clear direction and a shot at a ring. As of now I expect a few players to go elsewhere for money and/or better opportunities to win.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Let the drama begin!

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am I'm 100% okay with trading him. I don't believe he's worth the contract he'd be asking for.
This defense is much worse without Devin White.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:51 am
BucsNBills wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am I'm 100% okay with trading him. I don't believe he's worth the contract he'd be asking for.
This defense is much worse without Devin White.
Probably yeah. But if he refuses to play unless we shell out money we don't have, I don't know what we can do for him.

Best of luck with your new team, Devin.