***Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread***

This section is for discussing possible future Buccaneers, as well as college football.
real bucs fan

Re: ***Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread***

Post by real bucs fan »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:35 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:59 pm Seems he was drinking and racing and the other driver crashed and two people died. Very serious situation but not sure it makes him undraftable. If he’s there at 19 I hope we did a character background on him as he’d be an interesting choice.
He also fled the scene and came back later and lied to the police about it. Not sure it’s enough for prison time, but definitely not a good look.
Agree it’s not a good look. Pretty shitty for sure. Just saying I don’t think it makes him undraftable as long as your character background work checks out otherwise.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Most hated man in America.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:46 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:13 pm The word is Bryce Young was 175 pounds soaking wet at Alabama.
He's a very good player, but I fear for his health.

The first time he's hit by a guy like Jordan Davis, he will fold like a pretzel. The second time he's gonna break something.

Self preservation just may be in the forefront of his mind.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:12 am
IDK man. Are they measuring at the top of his hair??? That must mean Bennett must be like 6'2" or 6'3".

I guess the height was only part of the issue, the most important component will be his weight.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:41 am
IDK man. Are they measuring at the top of his hair??? That must mean Bennett must be like 6'2" or 6'3".

I guess the height was only part of the issue, the most important component will be his weight.
It's not an issue at all honestly. The media told you to worry so people worry.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz have you nailed down who you want as our first pick yet? Who would that be?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:38 am Bootz have you nailed down who you want as our first pick yet? Who would that be?
Not nailed down. I honestly hope we make a move. Either up or down. Go for one of the QBs or trade back, get more pieces.

I'm looking at the Oline or skills positions honestly. The TE out of Oregon State is on my radar, Luke Musgrave. He can do wonders for a young TE and would allow Otton to move to a more natural #2 TE spot. Plus he is a pretty good blocker as well so that would help.
Snake

Post by Snake »

How stupid are NFL executives?

Well, apparently, at least one of them actually cared how tall Bryce Young is, despite all of his film. 3/4 inch shorter somehow makes him a bust or something.

Are NFL offensive linemen appreciably taller than Alabama’s who *checks notes* sends most of their OL to the NFL anyways?

The film will tell you if he can see passing windows. You really don’t need a measurement.

I have more concerned about his girth. But, you really can’t even hit quarterbacks that way anymore. Tua has a history of not being able to fall correctly and roll with hits. How much of that has to deal with stature? I really don’t know.

Fascinating stuff.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:52 am How stupid are NFL executives?

Well, apparently, at least one of them actually cared how tall Bryce Young is, despite all of his film. 3/4 inch shorter somehow makes him a bust or something.

Are NFL offensive linemen appreciably taller than Alabama’s who *checks notes* sends most of their OL to the NFL anyways?

The film will tell you if he can see passing windows. You really don’t need a measurement.

I have more concerned about his girth. But, you really can’t even hit quarterbacks that way anymore. Tua has a history of not being able to fall correctly and roll with hits. How much of that has to deal with stature? I really don’t know.

Fascinating stuff.
DIBS
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Fascinating stuff.
That means that said GM was never a believer and needed the height to check out in order to take a look.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Fake news
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Fascinating stuff.
Bryce Young's height doesn't worry me. My concern with him would be how is a guy who is that frail in appearance going to stay upright the first time TJ Watt gets a free run at him from the blindside?

That's the scary part, imo.
Kona

Post by Kona »

OLB Nolan Smith having himself a nice combine, will he even make it to 19 now?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Kona wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:23 pm OLB Nolan Smith having himself a nice combine, will he even make it to 19 now?
Was just coming to post the same thing. Pretty sure he just ran himself out of our range.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Some interesting Edges in our range for sure, though my sense is that Licht is married to JTS.

Really seems like all the high picks recently will be forced into action. Expect JTS, Hall, White, Trask, Otton etc to be regulars for us next year. We don’t really have much choice, and I guess we will see who sinks and who swims.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Lmao

This kid is on drugs

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

LMAO!! Bears wouldn’t even need a QB
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:50 pm LMAO!! Bears wouldn’t even need a QB
Dude, shut up. Fields is injury prone and Kyle Trask can make a QB controversy in Chicago.

The Bucs will take their chances with man child, Bryce Young.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:02 pm Some interesting Edges in our range for sure, though my sense is that Licht is married to JTS.

Really seems like all the high picks recently will be forced into action. Expect JTS, Hall, White, Trask, Otton etc to be regulars for us next year. We don’t really have much choice, and I guess we will see who sinks and who swims.
I mean idk what we mean by married. Don't see him off the roster. We knew the last two picks were projects. Big frame guys that needed to add some weight and work on their craft missing the pandemic year and all.

It's definitely put up or shut up time for JTS.

There's a lot of good pass rushers in this draft but each have their red flags. Still hoping a blue chip guy falls.
MJW

Post by MJW »

This edge class is ridiculously deep. I'd be fine with taking one early and another one late, or even middle round.

On the flipside, the one techs and five techs...not so much.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:12 pm

Fascinating stuff.
Bryce Young's height doesn't worry me. My concern with him would be how is a guy who is that frail in appearance going to stay upright the first time TJ Watt gets a free run at him from the blindside?

That's the scary part, imo.
This.

Russell Wilson, Maurice Jones Drew, Darren Sproles, Doug Flutie, Boston Scott, etc....Short guys.

Young is SMALL. It's different. Slight of frame. This is a guy where you're never going to NOT hold your breath when he gets hit, even if it's clean and he sees it coming.

Does that take him off my board? Not at all. He's my QB1. His mental processing is curve-moving elite. But it's something I'm thinking about. It's something I'm scheming around.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Ya Ya looked pretty good?
MJW

Post by MJW »

This class's positional strength IMHO:

QUARTERBACKS (B) - Two plug and plays, two toolsy upside guys. Hooker a likely consolation prize. Some interesting backup types. Average class that could look better or much worse in a few years.

RUNNINGBACKS (A) - You've got the "guy," and you've got a lot of guy with elite traits who will be major contributors in the league. This class is another reminder that you shouldn't pay running backs. There will be plus NFL starters on Day Three. No doubt in my mind.

WIDE RECEIVERS (D) - Meh. No sure-fire guys. Some guys with traits. Depth is not great either.

TIGHT ENDS (A+) - Five guys who will carry top 50 grades, and another 3 I count who could easily develop into plus NFL starters. One of the best TE classes in years.

TACKLES (A-) - Several front-line types on both sides, and good depth at the position. There will be guys drafted a full round later than they would be in many classes.

INTERIOR OL (C-) - Not nearly as deep. A half-dozen guys who will be designated starters when they're drafted, at most. I'm not sure one guy carries a legit first round grade either.

INTERIOR DL (D) - Flat out bad. Carter is now an Off Field concern. Bresee can't stay healthy. Behind them? Some interesting system fit guys. A better class for two-gappers than one-gappers, but man.

EDGE (A+) - On the other hand, this is a great Edge class, especially for two-point rushers. Insanely good.

Off The Ball (C+) - A couple of guys who have the traits to develop into good/great NFL players. A solid number of depth types. Just no top tier elites and good, not great from top to bottom.

Cornerback (A) - I really like this CB class. Probably 3 tiers deep of instant contributors and a few future stars. The toughest challenge for teams will be how to rank the top tier.

Safety (C) - I love Branch at the top of the class. Beyond him, I see traits, not top tier types. Above-average depth saves the group; it's fairly bottom heavy.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

If the rest of the NFL agrees with your assessment, things will dry up real quick.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:34 am If the rest of the NFL agrees with your assessment, things will dry up real quick.
It's not all bad. Personally...if we see 4 QBs go ahead of us (I do not believe we're in the market)...and the running back (we SHOULDN'T be in the market)...and at least 1, if not 2 of the tight ends (I think we're planning on given Otton a real look)...then we'll still have a pretty robust group of edge rushers, tackles, and corners to sift through.

The nice thing about basically needing everything is, you're free to attack the strengths and weaknesses of a draft at your leisure. We could just draft the strengths of this draft - running back (eventually), tackles, edge rushers, and corners - with our limited picks, and end up with guys who can really improve our roster up and down the board.
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:50 am
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:34 am If the rest of the NFL agrees with your assessment, things will dry up real quick.
It's not all bad. Personally...if we see 4 QBs go ahead of us (I do not believe we're in the market)...and the running back (we SHOULDN'T be in the market)...and at least 1, if not 2 of the tight ends (I think we're planning on given Otton a real look)...then we'll still have a pretty robust group of edge rushers, tackles, and corners to sift through.

The nice thing about basically needing everything is, you're free to attack the strengths and weaknesses of a draft at your leisure. We could just draft the strengths of this draft - running back (eventually), tackles, edge rushers, and corners - with our limited picks, and end up with guys who can really improve our roster up and down the board.
Agreed on all counts. If we didn’t have White I’d be on board for Bijan, but Whites presence eliminates that need. And as you said Otton will get his shot as we simply don’t have the luxury to take a TE in the first right now. Edge, CB, and OT are where we should be looking and luckily this draft is loaded at those positions. Take the best player and then scramble day 2 to fill needs. That’s the way to go.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:41 am
MJW wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:50 am

Agreed on all counts. If we didn’t have White I’d be on board for Bijan, but Whites presence eliminates that need. And as you said Otton will get his shot as we simply don’t have the luxury to take a TE in the first right now. Edge, CB, and OT are where we should be looking and luckily this draft is loaded at those positions. Take the best player and then scramble day 2 to fill needs. That’s the way to go.

But! If you do not find a way to bring the proper amount of pressure up the middle, edge and c/b will look like we messed up.

Lock this statement away for game time meltdown.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Stroud is working overtime to devalue my Ohio State education. Cmon son.
Last edited by Snake on Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Thought this post was insightful for reviewing some edge prospects

On 2/10/2023 at 6:15 AM, Ozzy said:
Andre Carter II Army
Meh. The more I watch the more I dislike him. He gets manhandled far too often and is a bit stiff as a rusher.

Isaiah Foskey Notre Dame RS JR
He's got a very nice skill set. Made impact plays routinely and has the prerequisite physical traits. 1st round grade.

BJ Ojulari LSU JR
Love this kid. 1st round grade. Was unblockable in pass pro, but is not nearly as good against the run as his brother was.

Mike Morris Michigan RS JR
Not sure how I feel about him. I think he plays way too high to be successful right now, even tho he looks great converting speed to power in wide rush sets.

Byron Young Tennessee
Need to watch more of, to be completely honest.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah Kansas State JR
Big fan. I think he goes in the 20's and will end up exceeding that. He's physically built for the game & has all kinds of finesse rush moves.

Drew Sanders Arkansas JR
Pretty much a guaranteed linebacker. Could really only win with speed rushes, IMO.

Garrett Nelson Nebraska RS JR
Watched him play 0 snaps.

Derick Hall Auburn SR
Fast, but stiff. Strong and understands how to leverage himself against bigger OT's. Overall a good player with meh physical traits.

Trenton Simpson Clemson JR
Definitely 100% a linebacker. He has zero pass rush moves.

Will McDonald IV Iowa State RS
The size scares the crap out of me. He looks anorexic, but he knows how to speed rush. Boom or bust.

Brenton Cox Jr Florida RS
Pretty much Isaiah Foskey, except he's a piece of crap human being & lacks the awareness/energy against the run.

Yasir Abdullah Louisville RS
Have seen zero from him.

Jordan Wright Kentucky RS
Never heard of him.

Robert Beal Jr Georgia RS
Didn't he return to school? I like him as a situational edge rusher.

Noah Taylor UNC
No clue.

Caleb Tannor Nebraska
No clue.

Tuli Tuipuloutu USC JR
I actually hate his tape. He doesn't win by beating OT's. He wins on stunts and by hustling down the line. No pass rush tools.

Lukas Van Ness Iowa RS SOPH
Speed to power, he's unmatched in this class. Fastest first step and is built like a house. He's gonna be very good.

Zach Harrison Ohio State
Will destroy the combine. Big and fast. Has very little in terms of polish or pass rush plan, but will be great in a wide-9 rush scheme.

Colby Wooden Auburn RS JS
Rock solid prospect that does a bit of everything. A little stiff, but nothing damning to his stock.

Keion White Georgia Tech RS
Probably going to be gone in the first 50 picks. Strong like bull. Tape is great against good competition. Will test well and is athletic enough to play literally anywhere from a wide-9 to a 3-tech.

YaYa Diaby Louisville
He's got a lot of skills and plays really hard in all facets of the game. I don't like his age and he struggles to bend.

Habakkuk Baldonado Pitt RS
A man with a pass rush plan. Has every move you could want. Too bad I think his physical gifts are sub NFL level.

Dylan Horton TCU RS
Lots of talent as a pass rusher/linebacker hybrid. Can rip around the edge with ease. Was consistently dreadful against the run.

Reggie Grimes Oklahoma JR
Haven't watched.

Ali Gaye LSU RS
Tools to be a very good player, but a bit stiff and lumbering for a guy that size. He moves like a 5-tech at 260.

Adetomiwa Adebawore Northwestern
Strong like bull. Will be a factor in the run game and has a hardcore bull rush.

Byron Young Alabama
Doubt he can survive out on the edge. Pure interior IMO.

KJ Henry Clemson RS
Has every tool, but hasn't put it together yet. Good gamble late in the draft.

Brennan Jackson Washington State RS
No clue.

Eku Leota Auburn RS
No clue.

Tavius Robinson Ole Miss
No clue.

Ochaun Mathis Nebraska
My favorite pass rusher in the class. I have to check my rankings, but I believe Mathis is in my top 4. Crazy tools
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Tennessee QB Henson Hooker has met with the Bucs at the combine.

I’ll take him over your boy Richardson, Snake
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

CJ Stroud doesn’t want go to the Bears. Can’t blame him
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

My Michigan boy CB DJ Turner runs 4th-fastest 40 at NFL combine since '03

4.26 seconds!!

https://www.nfl.com/videos/dj-turner-ii ... 23-combine
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Phantom wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:41 pm My Michigan boy CB DJ Turner runs 4th-fastest 40 at NFL combine since '03

4.26 seconds!!

https://www.nfl.com/videos/dj-turner-ii ... 23-combine
I knew he was the fastest guy on the team last year, but I didn't know he was that fast.

Impressive stuff. Certainly catapulted his draft status, too. Good for him.