Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BucsNBills

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by BucsNBills »

Wouldn't shock me if we don't address the oline at all. Move Wirfs to LT, Luke to RT, and Hainsey to LG. Maybe draft some depth but that's it. And honestly I hope that works because then we could get some value out of those picks.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Wasn't Goedeke pushed inside because of his short arms and smaller hands?
Most hated man in America.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Keith Armstrong is still our special teams coach? I assumed he was fired by default for how pathetic that unit performed.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:31 am Wasn't Goedeke pushed inside because of his short arms and smaller hands?
If Trask rolls outside of the offensive tackle 50 times it could entirely change our offensive line.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:31 am Wasn't Goedeke pushed inside because of his short arms and smaller hands?
That was his knock coming out and why he was projected to move to guard. But he played at RT during the week 18 Falcons game, and the pundits say he actually played well there. He was a RT at CMU so probably his more comfortable position.

I do hope we can find a bookend tackle to Wirfs this off-season, if it ends up being Goedeke then even better given he was a high pick. We can address the defense through the draft.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:14 pm
That was his knock coming out and why he was projected to move to guard. But he played at RT during the week 18 Falcons game, and the pundits say he actually played well there. He was a RT at CMU so probably his more comfortable position.

I do hope we can find a bookend tackle to Wirfs this off-season, if it ends up being Goedeke then even better given he was a high pick. We can address the defense through the draft.
I honestly see the two most likely scenarios as:

1) Wirfs stays and Right Tackle and we draft a Left Tackle fairly high. First or second round, anyway. Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones won't reach #19, but maybe Skoronski, maybe Anton Harrison, maybe Jaelyn Duncan in the 2nd, etc.
2) Wirfs moves to Left Tackle and we use some combination of a bargain free agent, a later draft pick, and perhaps Hainsey (college RT) or Goedeke (college RT) to bandage right tackle for the time being.

Personally, I love a third idea: Moving Wirfs to Left Tackle, where I'm 100% confident he'll still dominate, and drafting Dawand Jones, who I think has star RT written all over him. Watch this:

(Yeah, I know he has one really bad rep, but otherwise he's throwing guys into the stands.)
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

I would like to see an OL - considering our limited space - of maybe:

LT Wirfs
LG Goedeke/Leverett/Hainsey/Stinnie/Draft Pick/Cheap Vet/Whoever wins the battle
C Jensen
RG Shaq Mason (Extended or Restructed)
RT Dawand Jones

That would be a pretty damn good OL considering what we have to work with.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Kona

Post by Kona »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:25 pm I would like to see an OL - considering our limited space - of maybe:

LT Wirfs
LG Goedeke/Leverett/Hainsey/Stinnie/Draft Pick/Cheap Vet/Whoever wins the battle
C Jensen
RT Dawand Jones

I could definitely get down on that OL.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:23 pm
Kona wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:14 pm

1) Wirfs stays and Right Tackle and we draft a Left Tackle fairly high. First or second round, anyway. Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones won't reach #19, but maybe Skoronski, maybe Anton Harrison, maybe Jaelyn Duncan in the 2nd, etc.
2) Wirfs moves to Left Tackle and we use some combination of a bargain free agent, a later draft pick, and perhaps Hainsey (college RT) or Goedeke (college RT) to bandage right tackle for the time being.

Personally, I love a third idea: Moving Wirfs to Left Tackle, where I'm 100% confident he'll still dominate, and drafting Dawand Jones, who I think has star RT written all over him. Watch this:

(Yeah, I know he has one really bad rep, but otherwise he's throwing guys into the stands.)
Think he has the movement skills for the zone blocking we're going to be doing going forward?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:58 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:23 pm

Think he has the movement skills for the zone blocking we're going to be doing going forward?
I'm certainly no expert on zone-blocking schemes, but this kid looks to be very quick off the snap and gets himself in excellent position to leverage his man away from the play and the QB regardless of where the defender was lined up pre-snap.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:25 pm I would like to see an OL - considering our limited space - of maybe:

LT Wirfs
C Jensen
RT Dawand Jones

I swear I posted this in the draft forum, only I punctuated it by saying it's not a bad line for Bijan ;) :lol:

Either way I completely agree. I think where Wirfs play will be determined by who else we bring in and where they are best suited. There are a ton of good OL in this draft and even some sneaky under the radar FA too.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Look at the bag he's carrying!!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:37 pm

👀 👀 👀
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Jon Favreau's character in Rudy: "He's so little!!"
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:19 pm Jon Favreau's character in Rudy: "He's so little!!"
He's super talented but it is concerning that if you threw a bookbag on him and dropped him off at a middle school, nobody would bat an eye..
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I’m sure that’s purely coincidental.

Right?
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:22 pm

Right?
It’s the Buccaneer script for this season.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:27 pm

Right?
Yeah... Watch the Bucs get busted for tampering, or something.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:19 pm Jon Favreau's character in Rudy: "He's so little!!"
I was today years old when it clicked that was Jon Favreau.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Right?
Maybe he's saying "come get me"?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:24 pm

Maybe he's saying "come get me"?
Get err done.

Licht's gotta know Trask ain't goin save his job.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Do not want any high draft QB in 2023. Like and subscribe or wait four years and say you stood with me and you forgot to let me know.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You're a clown if you think one of the best GMs in football needs "saving"

Top 7: https://nflspinzone.com/2022/05/13/rank ... rs-2022/7/
Top 6: https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/g ... t-gms-2022
Top 6: https://www.yahoo.com/video/nfls-best-g ... 56377.html
Top 5: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-r ... d-top-the-
#1 GM: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... 24pbqwnwrw

All within the last year and a half. So unless your "what have you done for me lately" window is literally just "last season", I don't know wtf you're talking about.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:23 pm
You learn something new every day!!
Snake

Post by Snake »

I'm not gay but I want to live in a log cabin in the woods with Lavonte David. We won't ever have sex, but there will be a simmering erotic undercurrent as I stand in the kitchen window watching him as he chops wood, shirtless, sweat pouring off his body. I'll run upstairs and relieve myself, the entire time forcing myself to think of women while my thoughts drift back to LVD. I won't be able to climax and I'll eventually go back downstairs, angry. Sometimes we will look across the table and catch each other's eyes, and in that second, anything is possible, but we both deny ourselves and go back to what we were doing. One day one of us will die, and the other will bury him outside the log cabin. Then he'll go inside, pen a brief missive to his departed friend, and commit suicide, never able to deal with life without his one true platonic love.

TLDR: re-sign LVD.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Got some good weed, didn't you?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Is this another Copy paste? I have trust issues now
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Wait until you learn that's how he met and became good friends with Vince Vaughn.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:39 am
Wait until you learn that's how he met and became good friends with Vince Vaughn.
:o
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:39 am
"That was for you."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

LVD is where things can start getting ugly.

I'd love to bring him back and have him finish his career here but the issue is that he's ironically too good. He's still playing at a very high level at 33 y/o. He earned $12.5M last two years, when it could've easily been more, and he'll likely be looking at something in that range in FA. Wagner is sniffy around $10M though guys like Dom have said he won't get that, and David won't either.

I don't know if David won't. I can easily see plenty of close teams giving him what he's due. If not, then maybe we can bring him back on an affordable deal. But honestly, it feels we may have come to the Sapp Raiders, Lynch Broncos point of his story.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:07 am LVD is where things can start getting ugly.

I'd love to bring him back and have him finish his career here but the issue is that he's ironically too good. He's still playing at a very high level at 33 y/o. He earned $12.5M last two years, when it could've easily been more, and he'll likely be looking at something in that range in FA. Wagner is sniffy around $10M though guys like Dom have said he won't get that, and David won't either.

I don't know if David won't. I can easily see plenty of close teams giving him what he's due. If not, then maybe we can bring him back on an affordable deal. But honestly, it feels we may have come to the Sapp Raiders, Lynch Broncos point of his story.
This is LVD's last chance at a big payday. Last chance to get a bankroll that will help sustain him the rest of his life. Some team will offer more than the Bucs can afford.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

You sign David to one of those "When Brady was here" deals and bite the bullet for him when he retires.

Zero concern for his ability to play for the next three seasons.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Sad but true. But that's part of the game.

I know it's silly of me to feel sad about it like I only ever want him to play for my team. But I have to imagine that's how Patriot fans felt. If he does move on I hope it's either a good payday or a contender. I'd love for LVD to have two rings, even if the second is with the Chiefs or something. But you're right, it's the last chance for a good bag.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:12 am
Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:07 am LVD is where things can start getting ugly.

This is LVD's last chance at a big payday. Last chance to get a bankroll that will help sustain him the rest of his life. Some team will offer more than the Bucs can afford.
He's made over $80M in his career, so he has the, "bankroll that will help sustain him the rest of his life" and his kids' kids' kids' kids' lives. But I get what you're saying.

In our cap situation, am I paying 10M/year to a 33 yo ILB...no, no I am not. Thank him and tell him to secure the bag elsewhere.