Speculating on Canales' Offense

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Speculating on Canales' Offense

Post by Bootz »

If there's a team that thinks they are getting the next Rob Gronkowski, Mayer won't be available past the top 8, maybe top 10.
Most hated man in America.
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:24 am Mayer is not Gronk. What made Gronk so special was that he was the strongest non lineman on the field at all times. Tackling him was a nightmare. He was like a 6’6” Alstott with receiver skills and dominating blocking.
I wasn't implying he was. Gronk was generational.

Mayer is a bigger, stronger Heath Miller. IMHO.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I just don't see a way Mayer is BPA at 19. COULD he go on to have a better career those 18 other dudes, for sure, that's how the draft and nfl go. But BPA on draft day? No.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I don’t want to go TE at 19, but if we did I think I’d prefer Washington or Kincaid. Washington is the most Gronk like TE in this class. Dude is physically dominating. Kincaid is more the Kelce type, but he could be absolutely elite as a receiver.

I think at 19 you are either looking OL, CB, or Edge. All three positions are needs, and that’s where the depth of the draft is strongest in the mid first round.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

real bucs fan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:07 pm I don’t want to go TE at 19, but if we did I think I’d prefer Washington or Kincaid. Washington is the most Gronk like TE in this class. Dude is physically dominating. Kincaid is more the Kelce type, but he could be absolutely elite as a receiver.

I think at 19 you are either looking OL, CB, or Edge. All three positions are needs, and that’s where the depth of the draft is strongest in the mid first round.
Is CB truly a need for us?

RB/WR/TE are all needs for us seeing as our offense right now is just 2 good WRs, a decent RB, and an unproven TE and our best WR is getting old.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Sdbucs wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:15 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:07 pm I don’t want to go TE at 19, but if we did I think I’d prefer Washington or Kincaid. Washington is the most Gronk like TE in this class. Dude is physically dominating. Kincaid is more the Kelce type, but he could be absolutely elite as a receiver.

RB/WR/TE are all needs for us seeing as our offense right now is just 2 good WRs, a decent RB, and an unproven TE and our best WR is getting old.
I mean it depends. If we lose both Dean and SMB we’d basically have no one beyond Davis.

I do agree a weapon on offence would be helpful. To me, Addison would be a great target. He has the ability to get open quickly and speed to burn- two areas of weakness for us.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Offensive skill positions are needs?

Here's our starting offensive skill players as of today:

QB: Kyle Trask
RB: Lenny and White
TE: Otton and Kieft
WR: Evans, Godwin, Gage, Thompkins

Those are pretty good. You can win a division with those offensive skill positions.

And here's our starting defense as of today:

DT: Vita Vea, Logan Hall. No backups.
DE: No DEs on the roster.
OLB: JTS and Shaq Barrett coming off an Achilles injury, Cam Gill is their sub.
ILB: Devin White and I guess KJ Britt?
CB: Carlton Davis is CB1, Zyon McCollum and Dee Delaney are the only other CBs on the roster and I don't trust them.
S: Antoine Winfield Jr is the only safety on the roster.

It would be nice to have more offensive toys to play with, but there are literally thousands of defensive snaps we need to allocate. We have no defensive ends on the roster, no 5-techs for base D, we have just 2 defensive tackles with zero backups, if LVD doesn't return MLB becomes a huge issue, and our secondary can't even put a nickel package onto the field right now.

Our defensive needs outweigh our offensive ones by a country mile.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

You can definitely win the NFC South with those skills position players. Forget winning a playoff game though
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:13 pm You can definitely win the NFC South with those skills position players. Forget winning a playoff game though
Be that as it may, our defense cannot field a nickel package at the moment, and we are about to lose dozens of years of NFL experience on that side of the ball between LVD, Will Gholston, two of our three starting corners, and three quarters of our safety room. If we don't treat our defense as a priority, the dropoff I feel is going to be severe.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:22 pm
Bootz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:13 pm You can definitely win the NFC South with those skills position players. Forget winning a playoff game though
Be that as it may, our defense cannot field a nickel package at the moment, and we are about to lose dozens of years of NFL experience on that side of the ball between LVD, Will Gholston, two of our three starting corners, and three quarters of our safety room. If we don't treat our defense as a priority, the dropoff I feel is going to be severe.
I paid attention to 2022 and the NFL. You aren't going anywhere with an offense that scores 18 points a game. And that was with Tom Brady at QB.

I'm not saying ignore the defense. But if we treat Canales like he's Jesus we'll get what we deserve and it wouldn't be fair to him.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Everything is a need right now, it's Feb. One of the things that makes Licht one of the best GMs is that he usually does a great job filling out needs as smooth as possible before the draft so he doesn't have to get pigeonholed into anything.

DBs is one of the positions I'm least worried about as it's Bowles specialty. He's been able to get so much out of DBs here- though it takes a couple years of coaching and developing. And I think they really liked Zyon McCollum. Like a lot a lot. They have big hopes of him being a better Dean for us here soon and he'll get every chance. But we usually still hedge out bets so I expect a vet like Peters or SMB on board as well.

If a great DB falls to us at 19, so be it. It's a passing league and you can't have too many. Brian Branch is the top blue chip player. There isn't really a Sauce level CB but there are really talented mid 1st guys, any of which could be the #1 CB taken. It's that talented and close. And they are all more pro ready to start than our usual selections.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Cheb wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:10 pm

Offensive skill positions are needs?

Here's our starting offensive skill players as of today:

QB: Kyle Trask
RB: Lenny and White
TE: Otton and Kieft
WR: Evans, Godwin, Gage, Thompkins

Those are pretty good. You can win a division with those offensive skill positions.

And here's our starting defense as of today:

DT: Vita Vea, Logan Hall. No backups.
DE: No DEs on the roster.
OLB: JTS and Shaq Barrett coming off an Achilles injury, Cam Gill is their sub.
ILB: Devin White and I guess KJ Britt?
CB: Carlton Davis is CB1, Zyon McCollum and Dee Delaney are the only other CBs on the roster and I don't trust them.
S: Antoine Winfield Jr is the only safety on the roster.

It would be nice to have more offensive toys to play with, but there are literally thousands of defensive snaps we need to allocate. We have no defensive ends on the roster, no 5-techs for base D, we have just 2 defensive tackles with zero backups, if LVD doesn't return MLB becomes a huge issue, and our secondary can't even put a nickel package onto the field right now.

Our defensive needs outweigh our offensive ones by a country mile.
Our offense is going to fall flat with current set up. You can only be so creative with Evans/Godwin/White without an allstar QB at the helm.

I completely agree with you about our defense. But taking a corner at 19 will have a lesser impact on making our defense great than getting a WR/RB will have on making our offense formidable.

And defensive end at 19 is a crap shoot.

In my opinion with our first 3 picks take a OL, RB or WR, DE, the DE being the 2nd or 3rd pick.

Spend the remaining picks on DBs, O-line, and a TE
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I thought it was the OC's fault.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:13 pm

Exactly. Some will try to stand behind this argument naively.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Sdbucs -
And defensive end at 19 is a crap shoot.
You need to have a looksee at what's left by the time we pick at 50.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Still a firm believer that improvement along the OL will make those skill position players better. Even if they don't, it will at least help form a foundation for the next year when maybe we do invest in some new toys for that side of the ball
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There are quite a few good OL in FA that could be reasonably priced if we can clear some space. We also have no idea how we can be re-arranging the OL under this new offense. Finally, the draft has a ton of great OL options as well this year.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:02 pm There are quite a few good OL in FA that could be reasonably priced if we can clear some space. We also have no idea how we can be re-arranging the OL under this new offense. Finally, the draft has a ton of great OL options as well this year.
I think it would be safe to say many Buc free agents have already said they are going for the money.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:15 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:13 pm

Exactly. Some will try to stand behind this argument naively.
So if Trask is the QB in 2023 and we score more than 19 PPG, was 2022's offensive woes on the OC or no?