Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Tom Brady
34%
Blaine Gabbert
3%
Kyle Trask
47%
Lamar Jackson
8%
Derek Carr
3%
Jimmy G
No votes
Another vet (name below)
5%
A rookie (name below)
No votes

Total votes: 38

GreatTimes

Re: Who do you want to be the QB for the Bucs in 2023?

Post by GreatTimes »

Grahamburn wrote "But, if you’re tanking prior to the start of a season you’d better be sure."
You can never be sure, especially at the QB position.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

But that's the thing, you're never sure. You never know what the upcoming draft class is actually going to bring. We often go huge spans without there ever being anyone worth tanking for anyway (look at the list above).

The best you can do is continue to build and roster the best team possible. Get better than yesterday. And you get your players, QB included, where you can as they come.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:06 pm Image
Absolutely irrelevant. Maybe one of the most irrelevant things you could post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

So make the claim already. Don't hide behind a pic
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

For posterity.

Either way it shakes out.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Burrows delivery is at least twice as fast as Trasks. And even though Burrow doesn't have that strong of an arm, he still looks like Bret favre throwing the ball compared to Trask. Just watch his throws, they sit in the air forever, he has zero velocity on his throws.

Oh and burrow is much more nimble on his feet and can escape pressure better while having enough speed to make plays with his legs. Trask on the other hand, looks like a slow Tom Brady.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Umm - 124 sacks in 42 games doesnt sound to nimble.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:16 pm Umm - 124 sacks in 42 games doesnt sound to nimble.
You watch the Bengals, right? The fact Joe Burrow doesn't get sacked 10 times every single game is a testament to how well he moves and how well he throws under duress. The 2021 Bengals OL was the worst I've ever seen on a good team, until the 2022 line.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

BucsNBills wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:57 pm Burrows delivery is at least twice as fast as Trasks. And even though Burrow doesn't have that strong of an arm, he still looks like Bret favre throwing the ball compared to Trask. Just watch his throws, they sit in the air forever, he has zero velocity on his throws.

Oh and burrow is much more nimble on his feet and can escape pressure better while having enough speed to make plays with his legs. Trask on the other hand, looks like a slow Tom Brady.

Exactly which of these throws lacks velocity?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

That settles it - we will pick Burrow at 19.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:19 am I mean just look at that list!

Even with your generous "yes" standard, 2/3rds of those perceived answers at QB were complete flops!

Imagine if your FO made your team worst intentionally in order to "get a higher draft pick" because this guy was supposed to be the cure all savior.
You keep picking up this straw man to knock it down again.

Nobody is suggesting we try to lose next year to get a higher draft pick so a rookie can "save us."

People are arguing that saving, investing, and building future assets makes more sense than flushing them down the 2023 toilet, because our HC sucks, our QB situation almost certainly sucks, and we have very few avenues to improve right now.

Also, the difference between "Muh Tanking" and "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME" is a few extra contract restructures and whether or not to overpay for a mediocre quarterback. Or whether to target immediate needs in the draft or better prospects. That's honestly it.

The only way you can reasonably disagree with these crazy ideas - "Clear up future cap space" and "Get reps to players with upside" and "Draft for the long term" is if a) your job depends on winning right now or b) as a fan, you're actually convinced there's some combination of moves that we can make that will result in a Lombardi this year. That's it.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Also, please for the love of god everyone miss me with the "Any Given Sunday..." and "You Never Know..." justifications for treating an iffy roster and a terrible coach like they could win a Title this year. That's fucking stupid. I could spend my paycheck on lotto tickets this week and win, but I'd still rather pay my bills (overdue in the case of our salary cap) and contribute to my Roth IRA.
Let's roll another joint
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

MJW wrote "Nobody is suggesting we try to lose next year to get a higher draft pick so a rookie can "save us."
Actually, there have been a few posters who have supported tanking in the 2023 season so the Bucs can choose the USC QB Williams with the first pick in the 2024 draft.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

More than a few. It's a pretty big group. They fidget and try to rebrand when you shine a spotlight at how dumb the idea is, but they are there.

Let me ask you MJW, does losing more games to get a higher draft pick next year fall under "building future assets"?
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So Doctor, if you have your druthers for 2023, what's the upside on the roster we're going to field? How many wins do you feel good about predicting?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:37 am MJW wrote "Nobody is suggesting we try to lose next year to get a higher draft pick so a rookie can "save us."
Actually, there have been a few posters who have supported tanking in the 2023 season so the Bucs can choose the USC QB Williams with the first pick in the 2024 draft.
Losing with Trask at the helm and getting Williams in the draft is better than us winning 6-8 games with Carr at the helm and missing out on that, yes.

Of course, best case scenario is Trask showing us he can be our guy. But if he clearly isn’t, then losing for Caleb is the next best scenario.

Assuming we haven’t traded for Rodgers. Rodgers is the only short term QB worth taking because he represents a shot at the SB.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:25 am So Doctor, if you have your druthers for 2023, what's the upside on the roster we're going to field? How many wins do you feel good about predicting?
Way too early to make any record predictions, we don't even have a roster. But I'll spill.

On offense, I'm buying the Canales effect and I think this roster can pivot well. I think Smith and Mason are going to be cap casualty cuts. I think our remaining guys (Wirfs, Hainsey, Jensen, Goedeke, and Leverett) all have the tools to run wide zone very successfully. If anything I'm a little concerned as to how well Gilbert and Godwin can coach it being career power guys. There are also a lot of option in FA and the draft (all 3 days).

I posted earlier on the WR bounce back. That includes Gage. All three dudes are also eager run blockers, which I think is going to serve us very well.

I think the run game suits White very well. But there are a crazy number of RB options out there. The FA class is heavy and not all of them can get big money. Maybe we can bring in a Pollard or just a Penny. Or we turn to the draft that has a very deep RB class. There will be a stud RB taken each day of the draft. Maybe we end up with one.

Finally, all this hangs on if Canales can make lemonade our of Trask/Lock(?). While people want to get caught up in the QB as a player, what do I always preach? Fit. It's all about fit. I was worried when we first hired Canales about the fit. Didn't know much about what he would run here, but the more I read the more I think it can be a fit for Trask. And if we bring in Lock, which I think we will, it will be because Dave does see a fit- which is awesome.

I think we can totally hit a Geno level offense. A 24 ppg team. And yes, I do believe you can win with that. Because I believe the championships are still won by the defense. It's better to stop Mahomes than to try to keep up with him.