Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Who do you want as our next OC?

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:58 am I'm not at all surprised.

But now the SB is over, and we've interviewed TEN coaches. Time for Licht and Bowles to put on their big boy pants. At this point, the logical extrapolation is that either the two of them, or some combination of the two of them and Arians (who should have zero input but probably does) can't agree on a guy.

(There is a slim chance that all TEN of our interviewees have been underwhelming, but if so, it's us or the process that likely has the problem.)
TEN!?? No way!
Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:36 pm I don’t have a problem with due diligence.

The Ravens came out and said they had 21 interviews with 14 candidates.
Yes, but they are "thorough" we just suck. Ironically the Athletic actually has the Bucs listed over the Ravens as a better OC landing spot (without Brady).
A quarter of the league doesn't have an OC right now... but for us the sky is falling.
People were upset we hired Arians and Bowles so quickly, and people are upset we hire too slowly.
We're mad at re-treads, we're mad at no names. Honestly, you'd think these fans had never won a chip, let alone two.
People were mad, stayed mad, and still are mad at Arians... somehow.
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:53 am I still like the thought of a small college OC becoming brilliant while under our care. Or even grooming him for the job.
I think that is somewhat the idea. From what I'm seeing we're looking for the next Kyle, Zac Taylor, or Mike McDaniel type. Someone hungry and creative. At the same time, respecting that play calling comes with lots of growing pains. So you also want someone who has hopefully done it or something close (supposedly Dan Pitcher called the 3rd down plays but who really knows). It doesn't have to be a ton of playcalling experience (you start to cross into retread territory) but done enough so that he already has a big binder of "lessons learned" and isn't purely starting from blank. And if not, then be able to really really show you are ready for it. After that show what kind of staff you are targeting.

It's a tall ask.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Doctor Here is what I picture. A small school with a high scoring offense with two understudy position coaches that are friends and all they ever do is scheme and talk offense - one gets OC and the other gets a position coach job. The plus is they work together closely as a team.
It either works or it don't, if it does we'd look brilliant and Tampa could finally become coach maker.

It's absurb! How could Tampa ever do such a high caliber process like that.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:33 am @Doctor Here is what I picture. A small school with a high scoring offense with two understudy position coaches that are friends and all they ever do is scheme and talk offense - one gets OC and the other gets a position coach job. The plus is they work together closely as a team.
It either works or it don't, if it does we'd look brilliant and Tampa could finally become coach maker.

It's absurd because it's too high of a risk.

The difference between being an understudy position coach at a small college and coaching in the NFL is enormous, and the likelihood that these two best buddies fall flat on their faces and we become the laughingstock of the league would be very high.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:17 am So he knows Arians. That's his main qualification.
That's what got him the Assistance HC job in Detriot?
Damn, Arian's aura must be huge.

Can you speak to any black coach without giving credit to a white dude MJW?

Scott Montgomery is exactly what the doctor ordered. He's a master of the RPO. He was referred to as a "rising star" when the Saints and Panthers interviewed him for OC last year and was first in line for the Colts OC job if they kept Saturday. He's fantastic at coaching fundamentals as well as maximizing players' strengths. He has experience as a play caller and a HC. He's coached RBs, WRs, and QBs. The guy knows football.

I thought by adding the AHC title the Lions were preventing others from poaching him, but I guess not.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:33 am @Doctor Here is what I picture. A small school with a high scoring offense with two understudy position coaches that are friends and all they ever do is scheme and talk offense - one gets OC and the other gets a position coach job. The plus is they work together closely as a team.

The difference between being an understudy position coach at a small college and coaching in the NFL is enormous, and the likelihood that these two best buddies fall flat on their faces and we become the laughingstock of the league would be very high.

It's how most of them get there start though, I'm just shortening the time frame. As far as laughing stock goes - you heard what Cameron Jordan said about us didnt ya?

Like as if any coach would matter.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You're not shortening it, you're cheating it.

That "time frame" is where those coaches' experiences will shape them into the great coaches they will be.

Pats hire Giants LB Coach BB to be their HC, I promise you it doesn't end well.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:28 pm
Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm

It's how most of them get there start though, I'm just shortening the time frame. As far as laughing stock goes - you heard what Cameron Jordan said about us didnt ya?

There is a winnowing process in coaching, just as there is in most professions. If you took say 100 small school position coaches, I'd reckon less than 5 of them have the talent or drive to make in the NFL. Plucking two randos from that group of 100 and praying that you picked two dudes from that 5% is a statistical unlikelihood.

Moreover, as Doctor alluded to, that time working on your craft is critical to shape you into the man you need to be to succeed at that level, not dissimilar to a promising high school football player needing time in college before he's ready for the NFL.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

If he hadn't just got the job as HC of ASU, I would have liked Kenny Dillingham. He's elevated every Offense that he's been a part of.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Moozician wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 pm If he hadn't just got the job as HC of ASU, I would have liked Kenny Dillingham. He's elevated every Offense that he's been a part of.
He’s really good. Scheming mind and he’s a pretty emotional leader too.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Cheb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:39 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:28 pm

There is a winnowing process in coaching, just as there is in most professions. If you took say 100 small school position coaches, I'd reckon less than 5 of them have the talent or drive to make in the NFL. Plucking two randos from that group of 100 and praying that you picked two dudes from that 5% is a statistical unlikelihood.

Moreover, as Doctor alluded to, that time working on your craft is critical to shape you into the man you need to be to succeed at that level, not dissimilar to a promising high school football player needing time in college before he's ready for the NFL.

So! No names for my prospect list?

Don't let them kill your vision mdb.
Al Bundy

Post by Al Bundy »

Canales is the hire.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about this guy.

Anyone have any clue as to what kind of scheme we can expect?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:49 pm

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about this guy.

Anyone have any clue as to what kind of scheme we can expect?
He's never been an OC. So no.
Most hated man in America.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I’m fine with this. Either he’s a hidden gem, or gets canned along with everyone else at the end of the season.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Then I guess the only thing we can really judge him on is the rise of Geno Smith, and that depends on how much of an effect he had on Smith, if any.

Guess we'll have to wait for the presser before we get an idea as to what style of offense is coming to Tampa.

I'll be cautiously optimistic for now.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Here's what we DO know.

-He's been with the Seahawks since Carroll got there in 2010. He was WR coach from 10-17.

-He was switched to QB coach for the 2018 & 2019 seasons. The Seahawks replaced him in that role in 2020 & 2021 and he was moved to pass game coordinator.

-Switched back to QB coach in 2022. I'd be interested in why they moved him from QB coach in 2020.

-Going off of the @MJW method, he served under 4 different OCs. 3 times the Seahawks replaced an OC while he was there and he was never considered for the job.

I honestly don't know what to think but this is pretty much what we all expected.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

And it gets better!

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Do we have open position coaches that Bowles will let him fill?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Eh, thought there were better options out there, but hey, when your head coach is Todd Bowles, you can’t expect much. We shall see how it goes. Seems really young.
Last edited by Navybuc on Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:11 pm And it gets better!

Is there a way to delete a tweet from someone else's timeline???
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:23 pm Eh, thought there were better options out there, but hey, when your head coach is Todd Bowles, you can’t expect much. We shall see how it goes.
Considering Bowles is a lame duck coach, any OC we sign will be a one year rental anyway.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Neither a retread nor an Arians confidante. Good enough.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:08 pm -Going off of the @MJW method, he served under 4 different OCs. 3 times the Seahawks replaced an OC while he was there and he was never considered for the job.
I stand by this logic.

If I'm going to hire away a guy who was passed over multiple times for the job I'd hire him for, I want to know why. He easily could have been elevated when Carroll hired Brian Schottenheimer in 2018, and again when he hired Shane Waldron away from the Rams in 2021. Far as I know, he was never considered.

None of it matters now though. He's the guy. The odds seem strong he's going to be a trivia question in a few years.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Wilson fell off a cliff when he left and Geno had a career recovery under his watch. I'm going to be optimistic until proven otherwise.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Interesting
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:41 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:08 pm -Going off of the @MJW method, he served under 4 different OCs. 3 times the Seahawks replaced an OC while he was there and he was never considered for the job.
I stand by this logic.

If I'm going to hire away a guy who was passed over multiple times for the job I'd hire him for, I want to know why. He easily could have been elevated when Carroll hired Brian Schottenheimer in 2018, and again when he hired Shane Waldron away from the Rams in 2021. Far as I know, he was never considered.

None of it matters now though. He's the guy. The odds seem strong he's going to be a trivia question in a few years.
I honestly had never given much thought to that position before you mentioned it. But it does make a lot of sense. It makes a TON of sense in this situation. Dave was there for 8 years before Schottenheimer was hired and didn't get a look. Brings a lot of questions.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:23 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:11 pm And it gets better!

Is there a way to delete a tweet from someone else's timeline???
I don't know
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Moozician wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 pm
Interesting
The plot thickens
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Moozician wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 pm
Interesting
This was a troll job, I guess...
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Redrum wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:43 pm Wilson fell off a cliff when he left and Geno had a career recovery under his watch. I'm going to be optimistic until proven otherwise.
I also share your cautious optimism.

Geno Smith won comeback player of the year at least in part due to Dave Canales.

We know little-to-nothing about his prospective scheme, but he's a Carroll disciple so I expect a heavy dose of the running game, which makes sense based on Bowles' reported frustration with Leftwich not wanting to run the ball.

Of note, Seattle had their passing game go through largely two wide receivers in Metcalf and Lockett, with Noah Fant at TE and Marquis Goodwin their #3 wideout basically combining for roughly the same number of targets as one of those top two guys. The next two guys in the pecking order for targets were tight ends interestingly. Compared to our own scheme they didn't have a lot of dumpoffs to the backs; Lenny Fournette had more catches than all five of their running backs put together.

I'll be interested to watch/read more about him.
Last edited by Cheb on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Canales seems like a solid hire. Young up and coming offensive guy. Been tied to Carroll but had success in multiple roles and multiple players. Could have been worse. I was honestly expecting Harold Goodwin to be given a promotion.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I was really hyped for Scottie Montgomery. When it comes to Canales, I know about as much as the next fan here. I guess we can also go with the Bootz methodology of "the Ravens interviewed him twice so he must be worth checking out".

Doctor

Re: Welcome new OC Dave Canales!

Post by Doctor »

So I asked ChatGPT:

What kind of offense does Dave Canales run?
As the offensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks, Dave Canales is known for running a balanced and dynamic offense that emphasizes the strengths of the team's personnel.

Under Canales' guidance, the Seahawks have used a mix of traditional and modern offensive concepts, including a strong emphasis on the running game, quick passes, and play-action fakes. The offense also features a lot of pre-snap motion, which can create mismatches and confusion for opposing defenses.

Canales has also shown a willingness to adapt and adjust his game plans based on the strengths and weaknesses of his opponents, which has helped the Seahawks stay competitive against a variety of defenses.

Overall, Canales' offense prioritizes efficiency, ball control, and explosive plays, and he is known for being creative and innovative in his play-calling.

What football concepts for Dave Canales lean on most?
Dave Canales, as an offensive coordinator, has shown a preference for several football concepts that are frequently used in the modern NFL. Some of the key concepts that he has leaned on include:

Zone Blocking: Canales has used a zone blocking scheme in the running game, which involves the offensive linemen blocking an area of the field rather than specific defenders. This allows for greater flexibility and can create cutback lanes for the running back.

Play-Action Passes: Canales likes to use play-action passes to take advantage of the defense's tendency to focus on stopping the run. This involves faking a handoff to the running back before throwing the ball downfield.

Pre-Snap Motion: Canales uses pre-snap motion to help create confusion for the defense and to get his players into advantageous positions. This can include motioning a receiver across the formation, or having a running back shift to a different spot before the snap.

Quick Passing: Canales' offense features a lot of quick, short passes that are designed to get the ball out of the quarterback's hand quickly and allow his playmakers to create yards after the catch.

Vertical Passing: Despite the emphasis on the running game and short passing, Canales also likes to take shots downfield with deep passes to his receivers. This can help keep the defense honest and open up opportunities for big plays.

Overall, Canales' offensive concepts prioritize efficiency, balance, and creativity, and he is known for tailoring his approach to fit the strengths of his personnel.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That bot said a whole lot without saying a damn thing. It's not even really accurate as Canales has never been an OC.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The AI revolution isn't quite as here as some may say