Update: Board is not being Shutdown

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IronDog

Re: Update: Board is not being Shutdown

Post by IronDog »

So, I didn't imagine it. Ha!
Push the damned button already!
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Lol
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Can we get a block button please?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:47 pm Can we get a block button please?
just click username and click foe.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:47 pm Can we get a block button please?
What Phantom said above
I said what I said

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Xandtar wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:31 am I only need to make one more sig and then I'm going to go into offseason mode, so this will be my last post for a while.

There is a science fiction novelette I read a long time ago called "For a breath I tarry". The backstory to this story of self-discovery is that there was a supercomputer that ran the world that was damaged but repaired itself but while it was done the alternate was activated. Solcom maintained that the Alternate should shut down because it was fine, and the Alternate argued that the original was damaged and could not recognize that it was still damaged. Since all this comes out in the first page of the novelette it's not really a spoiler.

The other board is analogous to the first controller, perhaps repaired from its damage but in the meantime I went with the Alternate and here I stay. To my knowledge the difference between the perhaps-recovered older board and this newer board is that we would never, ever, start a thread saying "WE DID IT", to celebrate shutting down the older board. But they have people here who seemingly want us to be shut down and again seemingly celebrated prematurely when their attacks on our weak point, our ethical and responsible and taking-the-high-road founders and admins almost pulled off this board's destruction. Indeed, this issue is not yet settled, not when good people leave who are necessary.

Does anyone think that those who want this place to die are going to leave us alone when this thread finally withers? That the vitriol and open contempt from the other place towards this place so out in the open here are going to go away? That IABL can long endure with constant attacks on our mods and admins by their now-self-admitted mods and admins? This is a one-sided flame war being engaged from just one side, from the BucZone side. From my admittedly partisan view this is premeditated, this is planned, and this will probably work in the end. Woot.

I hope to come back next season to a functioning board in which some in-house pot stirrers are still stirring the pot, but the enemies (yes, I'm using that word) from the other board have either ended their attacks or are all gone, voluntarily or otherwise. What I expect is that this board will be gone despite the best efforts of our last defenders in the mod team. I don't advocate doing unto them what they're trying to do unto us. I'm saying build a wall if necessary to keep their mods off this website, repeat if necessary. However well intentioned some of those mods are here, and I'm not saying all are ill-intentioned as individuals, their leaders' collective poisonous attacks has hurt our small board and I would see us survive. If necessary, don't ban individuals, ban their leadership group and let them do the same to ours, and go our separate ways.

Good luck, IABL. I hope this board makes it. I really don't care what happens to the other place.
Well, I'm going into offseason mode again, so upon reading the other thread, I thought I'd make a few observations before I leave, if only for fans of opposing teams who have found this board and this thread.

1. I'm very, very glad that the pessimist in me was dead wrong and we did make it through the offseason last year. I had a lot of fun sharing a really interesting season with y'all. I am also very glad that peace was restored more or less, with good mods and the willingness to just focus on us, our board, not theirs. I understand now why I usually do the recap on the Predict The Score thread not at the end of the season when I'm tired, but at the beginning of the next one when we're all ready to start anew. And God I am SO tired right now, at the very edge of burnout. Please don't think badly of me for asking you to be very careful.

2. For the benefit of new posters or visitors from other teams, here is the background to this thread. BucZone was the several-times-removed successor to other boards from the late 1990's that closed and/or reorganized with a surprisingly stable base of posters who therefore knew each other for years. BucZone was our immediate predecessor. Due to a missing Admin and a then-unfixable spambot infestation that made that board nearly unreadable, our esteemed founder Moozician, set up a new board with stable ownership and no spambots, IABL. Many of our posters there came over immediately to escape the spambot menace, while many of their posters remained behind. A few were on both boards, and perhaps still were until recently, I wouldn't know. Though the spambot menace was eventually fixed over there, It's a Buc's Life is a legitimate successor. The temperaments of the now-split community was different, in ways other posters with less burnout than I can describe. As this thread shows, there was a serious effort last offseason by certain On-Both-Boards people to kill this board. As you see it survived, at the cost of losing some posters from BZ who are a) skilled posters but b) had a different vision for this board than most of us here including our mods/admins. As another thread now shows, one year later BucZone is no more. We survived and as of this moment, they did not. (Barring mirror websites etc.)

3. Tread lightly, IABL regulars. We don't know what's going to be the fallout from this, among a group of people who know us well, are very skilled posters (and more???), and who are less than fond of us. We don't know what they'll do next. Maybe they'll bring back a backup site with a new name. Maybe they'll start over with no history but the same posters, so really the same board. Or, just maybe, some will try to return here with ill intent, to tear down this site from without or within. I say tread lightly because many of them were friends once and could be again, if we are vigilant to stop trolls but forgiving to those who choose to come peacefully to IABL. Unless we laugh the same way they once laughed at us shutting down. I welcome those from BZ who want a home to discuss Bucs Football, and the other things in other sports or down in Off-Topic for those so inclined, minus the flame warring outside of designated Off-Topic sites. I hope others do too. They celebrated our demise prematurely, and I'd hate for us to have done the same. Let's take the high road please, and step lightly-- there might be some land mines coming up.

4. And with this huge wall of text and hope for the future instead of dismay, I'm going into offseason mode. I'll lurk a bit on the three draft days, maybe even a post or two, but otherwise I'll see y'all in July. Recap for IABL Predict The Score, 2023 Season, to come before our first preseason game, when we're hopefully re-energized about our favorite football team. I might solicit some comments then, but right now I am totally exhausted and need a rest. Take care, everyone.

Xandtar
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Well said!! I, for one, miss you when you are gone! It is beyond a shame and ridiculous that we have to be wary of former petty posters.
I said what I said