Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2023 Off Season Thread

Post by Doctor »

Brazen331 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:43 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 pm Brady is so much better than Tua.
I’m not sure he is so much better at this stage, plus he is old enough to be Tua’s father. Why would Miami want Brady over Tua if he is able to play?

Brady’s deep ball is not as good as Tua’s.
Ross is a Michigan guy who has to watch Brady tear him a new one for 20 years. He's been so envious he's grinch green. Accusations of tanking, tampering, and even offering part ownership to Brady last time around, but Brady wasn't interested then.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He was so uninterested that he met with Ross and Flores on a boat to plan everything. Texted high level Miami Dolphins executives during the season, and fake retired in an attempt to force the Bucs’ hand.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:40 pm I don't care. If Brady wants to play in Tampa another season, I'm all for it.

I wonder if we could come up with something to counteract his immobility. Maybe Mathew Sluka, Lindsey Scott Jr, and Tom all at the same time.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:08 pm He was so uninterested that he met with Ross and Flores on a boat to plan everything. Texted high level Miami Dolphins executives during the season, and fake retired in an attempt to force the Bucs’ hand.
Tom seemed to avoid punishment so maybe your knowledge is speculative - they didnt take no first rounder from ole Tom.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Players can’t tamper.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:10 pm
Buc2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:40 pm I don't care. If Brady wants to play in Tampa another season, I'm all for it.

I wonder if we could come up with something to counteract his immobility. Maybe Mathew Sluka, Lindsey Scott Jr, and Tom all at the same time.
Well, it's for sure that a certain LT needs to go regardless.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Snake wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:08 pm He was so uninterested that he met with Ross and Flores on a boat to plan everything. Texted high level Miami Dolphins executives during the season, and fake retired in an attempt to force the Bucs’ hand.
Brady was still in NE
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:02 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:53 pm

Tom Brady has a better arm and better ball placement than Tua.

If Brady plays again next season and doesn’t show improvement despite being in a better situation, I’ll concede that he’s lost something. But I saw enough in limited situations to know that he can still sling it.
1 of them had the best season of his career, the other had the worst.

You shouldnt have to count on a 46 year old to show "improvement" because chances are it ain't happening.

If your case if that with bad ball placement and a bad arm, all Tua did was throw more TD passes than Brady and led the league in passer rating, watch out. Wait until he learns how to leverage his short comings to his advantage.
How's he gonna leverage his concussions?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Heisenberg wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:44 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:02 pm

1 of them had the best season of his career, the other had the worst.

You shouldnt have to count on a 46 year old to show "improvement" because chances are it ain't happening.

If your case if that with bad ball placement and a bad arm, all Tua did was throw more TD passes than Brady and led the league in passer rating, watch out. Wait until he learns how to leverage his short comings to his advantage.
How's he gonna leverage his concussions?
Now that is a very legitimate concern. If you’re not available to play it doesn’t matter if you’re Joe Montana or Joe Webb. But there’s no way anyone can say Tom Brady out played Tua this season.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

I read that Tua is still in concussion protocol a month after his last concussion. That is not a good sign for Tau's long term health.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

For Brady, its, Tampa, Pats, or retirement. No way he swings to another team. Pats may be out of the question, so my firm belief its up to the Bucs to make moves to motivate him to come back for his last run. He already knows, Gronk wants one more run, so what is next. An OC that motivates him. Then the Oline, he gets big red, tristen, and Hansley. LT is a wide open door. If the new OC was smart, Tristen is moving to LT. Donavan will have to eat crow and play water boy, or where ever he fits.

All hope is not lost...... relax boys, this off season is going to be fun
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why? He's divorced now. The bullet had been bitten. He wants SF.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:46 am Ross would pick Brady over Tua in a second. Period.

I wonder why the Dolphins wouldn't want to move on from their young QB who just had his best season ever in favor of an aging vet who just had arguably his worst full season.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 am
Doctor wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:46 am Ross would pick Brady over Tua in a second. Period.

I wonder why the Dolphins wouldn't want to move on from their young QB who just had his best season ever in favor of an aging vet who just had arguably his worst full season.
We get it. You hate Brady. But you do realize that Brady may have already told them he’s not interested in going there, right? So this is their way of saying “We love Tua.” I don’t know. Just speculation.

And please, do everyone here a favor and get your dick out of Tua’s mouth. Jesus. I’ve never seen anyone kiss his ass the way you do. The guy is an okay qb but you make him out to be better than Peyton Manning.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:19 am
King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 am

We get it. You hate Brady. But you do realize that Brady may have already told them he’s not interested in going there, right? So this is their way of saying “We love Tua.” I don’t know. Just speculation.

And please, do everyone here a favor and get your dick out of Tua’s mouth. Jesus. I’ve never seen anyone kiss his ass the way you do. The guy is an okay qb but you make him out to be better than Peyton Manning.
3 things.

#1 I don't hate Brady at all. In fact I'm probably too much of a Brady fanatic. But he's 45 going on 46 and he looks like it. You can't play this game forever. He showed that he can't elevate a team anymore. All great things come to an end.

#2, the underlined part, if that's true then you've essentially just accused the Dolphins of tampering yet again. Tom Brady has been under contract with Tampa Bay since March 2020. If there was any communication between him and the Dolphins, it's tampering. You wanna go down that hole?

#3, is your 2nd paragraph even necessary? That's absolutely disgusting and unnecessary and precisely the type of language/behavior that has the powers that be wanting to get rid of this place. Do us all a favor, yourself most importantly, and do better. Debating is fine. Disagreement is fine. Arguing in good faith is fine even. But that's unnecessary. No need to make it personal.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

It's gonna be really sad next year when Tua gets concussed again. He really should just retire.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 am
Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:19 am

3 things.

#1 I don't hate Brady at all. In fact I'm probably too much of a Brady fanatic. But he's 45 going on 46 and he looks like it. You can't play this game forever. He showed that he can't elevate a team anymore. All great things come to an end.

#2, the underlined part, if that's true then you've essentially just accused the Dolphins of tampering yet again. Tom Brady has been under contract with Tampa Bay since March 2020. If there was any communication between him and the Dolphins, it's tampering. You wanna go down that hole?

#3, is your 2nd paragraph even necessary? That's absolutely disgusting and unnecessary and precisely the type of language/behavior that has the powers that be wanting to get rid of this place. Do us all a favor, yourself most importantly, and do better. Debating is fine. Disagreement is fine. Arguing in good faith is fine even. But that's unnecessary. No need to make it personal.
1) Come on. Tampering happens all the time. It happened with the Dolphins and Brady/Payton last year. It's common. Just a matter of not getting caught.

2) Your Tua worship is way too obvious here. That's why I said what I said. It's way over the top. I just don't understand how you can say a guy who just had 3 concussions, can't stay healthy, and has no playoff or big game experience gives you a better chance of winning a SB than a player who just as recent as a year ago almost won the MVP and has 7 SB rings. I get the whole 'he's 46 and just had a subpar year' but how much of that subpar year had to do with other influences (i.e. divorce, banged up OL, terrible coaching)? I think if you put up a poll of even those in Miami, anyone would take the aging Brady who still has some gave left over a concussed and unproven Tua. It's almost common sense.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

What’s the argument? For just next year? Probably Brady, but it’s close.

The future? That’s obvious.

I’d take Tua over Brady and I don’t like Tua.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:11 pm What’s the argument? For just next year? Probably Brady, but it’s close.

Next year.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Damn, Matt Hasselbeck just hit the nail on the head and said exactly what I've been saying.

If you're asking yourselves who would you rather have to win a SB next year, Brady or Tua, it's Brady and it's not even close.

It's not that Tua isn't a good qb...he's got the ability...but it's about AVAILABILITY.

How do you go into the season trusting Tua to last the entire year? How?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Navy nails what Matt nailed.

But while the weapons there are nice, I still have to think Miami is behind Tampa in the Brady pecking order.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:58 pm Navy nails what Matt nailed.

But while the weapons there are nice, I still have to think Miami is behind Tampa in the Brady pecking order.
I personally would like to keep Brady here for one more year just because the 2024 qb draft class is loaded. If we lose Brady, we may reach for one this year, and outside the top 2 or 3, Im not impressed.

I don’t think Brady is anywhere close to what he used to be, but If you can put a 2020 Bucs OL in front of him, get him a “Gronk-like TE” (ahem Michael Mayer) and add a guy who stretch the field more, the Bucs can contend. It’s asking a lot, but I hope we can keep that window slightly open one more season.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Navybuc wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:05 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:58 pm Navy nails what Matt nailed.

I personally would like to keep Brady here for one more year just because the 2024 qb draft class is loaded. If we lose Brady, we may reach for one this year, and outside the top 2 or 3, Im not impressed.

I don’t think Brady is anywhere close to what he used to be, but If you can put a 2020 Bucs OL in front of him, get him a “Gronk-like TE” (ahem Michael Mayer) and add a guy who stretch the field more, the Bucs can contend. It’s asking a lot, but I hope we can keep that window slightly open one more season.
The problem with all of that is the cap. We have no money. We're already over the cap by quite a bit and we're going to struggle to sign our rookies.
There were a few problems this year. One of the biggest problems was our depth. We have less than adequate depth because we couldnt afford to bring in/keep quality depth due to the cap.
This upcoming year will be worse because not only will we not have quality depth, we're going to have to wave goodbye to some starters as well most-likely.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Obsolete wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:46 pm

The problem with all of that is the cap. We have no money. We're already over the cap by quite a bit and we're going to struggle to sign our rookies.
There were a few problems this year. One of the biggest problems was our depth. We have less than adequate depth because we couldnt afford to bring in/keep quality depth due to the cap.
This upcoming year will be worse because not only will we not have quality depth, we're going to have to wave goodbye to some starters as well most-likely.
Well we create a lot of space by keeping Brady and making a few cuts, which we’re gonna have to do. Some guys will have to re-do deals. You can always make the cap work and create space if you are creative. Eventually you have to take a hit down the road, but I still think this team has pieces that can keep them contending.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Brady's cap hit lower for us if he plays here than if he leaves?? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but I could be wrong....

If that's the case, I'd prefer he stay, if not.... Whatever happens, happens
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Brady isn't available 3 out of 4 quarters.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:11 pm What’s the argument? For just next year? Probably Brady, but it’s close.

You really are going to take a walking concussion ?
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

bucarican wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:45 pm

You really are going to take a walking concussion ?
Bingo
MJW

Post by MJW »

Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:46 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Brady's cap hit lower for us if he plays here than if he leaves?? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but I could be wrong....

This is true, the "dead" cap number is lower - but at the same time, we'd still have to pay him for THIS year. So it very well could be a wash, or worse. And then we'd just have to deal with that dead cap next year, when we're trying to extend AWJR, Wirfs, and maybe White.

It comes down to a very simple question: Do you believe the 2023 Buccaneers can compete for a Title? If you don't, you don't sign a 46 year old quarterback to a $25 mil contract. You take the cap lumps and move forward.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

MJW wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:51 am
Selmon Rules wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:46 pm

This is true, the "dead" cap number is lower - but at the same time, we'd still have to pay him for THIS year. So it very well could be a wash, or worse. And then we'd just have to deal with that dead cap next year, when we're trying to extend AWJR, Wirfs, and maybe White.

It comes down to a very simple question: Do you believe the 2023 Buccaneers can compete for a Title? If you don't, you don't sign a 46 year old quarterback to a $25 mil contract. You take the cap lumps and move forward.
If it's a wash, why create a hole where we don't need to??

I get the "moving on" stance but if we have to pay $X for him whether he is here or not, why not do it one more year?? Not like anyone else is going to give us more
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Each year Tom has been here the team is getting progressively worse as we also simultaneously dig a deeper future salary cap hole trying to put talent around him.

The sooner you end that process the sooner you can recover.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's what BB and the Pats thought.
Then Brady won them another ring.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

And then he won us a ring.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm That's what BB and the Pats thought.
Then Brady won them another ring.
He was also about 6 years younger, but hey who's counting?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:07 pm Each year Tom has been here the team is getting progressively worse as we also simultaneously dig a deeper future salary cap hole trying to put talent around him.

The sooner you end that process the sooner you can recover.
The patriots went 10 years between Super Bowls as one point.