Byron Leftwich: Fired

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: Byron Leftwich: Fired

Post by mdb1958 »

So during meetings, Bowles says a name for a new coach and then everyone looks at Arians for a facial expression?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bowles on the Glazers - uh well yeah, I did meet them once.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:30 am https://andscape.com/features/with-the- ... -fall-guy/

Turns out, Leftwich was fired because of racism you guys.
Jason Reid appears to be an idiot.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Did you all read past the headline?

The points of the article stand on their own and have been said by others. The only mention of race is how it's a blow to diversity in the sense that now the number of black coordinators are down from 3 to 2, which is factually true. That's all.
Mod LV

Post by Mod LV »

LUGZ is mucking up the board again. We'll see him later. Carry on guys

-LV
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 pm Did you all read past the headline?

The points of the article stand on their own and have been said by others. The only mention of race is how it's a blow to diversity in the sense that now the number of black coordinators are down from 3 to 2, which is factually true. That's all.
Correct. It can be a blow to diversity without also being a firing borne from racism. In fact, the words race nor racism was ever mentioned in the article.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:30 am https://andscape.com/features/with-the- ... -fall-guy/

Where in the story does it say that?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

It certainly seems like Steeler fans/media want Leftwich.

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/sports ... n-leftwich
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:44 pm It certainly seems like Steeler fans/media want Leftwich.

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/sports ... n-leftwich
I expect him to end up on their staff in some form. We know Tomlin has a lot of respect for him since he spent many years as Roethlisberger’s backup. Many backup QBs work as additional coaches in the NFL, so it’s probably an easy transition for both.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

How many Asian coordinators are there? How many Spanish coordinators are there? How many Native American coordinators? When speaking about diversity is it essential to get some basketball players in as football coaches?
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:07 pm

How many Asian coordinators are there? How many Spanish coordinators are there? How many Native American coordinators? When speaking about diversity is it essential to get some basketball players in as football coaches?
That's one of the dumber things I've read in a while.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Lefty with Greg Roman would be very complimentary. Both have very hat on hat offenses that seem to be pushing in the others specialty.
tnbandwagoner1

Post by tnbandwagoner1 »

13F11B wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:12 pm Let the good times roll.

One of the great albums in rock history.
nybf

Post by nybf »

The author mentioned how many black coordinators there are, and your takeaway from that is "Todd Bowles fired Byron Leftwich because of racism"?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:11 pm

The author mentioned how many black coordinators there are, and your takeaway from that is "Todd Bowles fired Byron Leftwich because of racism"?
I think you may have quoted the wrong person. I was asking a question about diversity not racism.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Calling into question how diverse the POC subgroup of coaches are when you can count them all on one hand is a bit like putting the carriage before the horse.
Snake

Post by Snake »

If he didn’t suck, diversity wouldn’t be taking a potential hit right now.
nybf

Post by nybf »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:11 pm
nybf wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:11 pm

I think you may have quoted the wrong person. I was asking a question about diversity not racism.
OK, then what about this?
13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:30 am

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm
13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:11 pm

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:30 am

A comment about the author of the article potentially being an idiot based on the post I was responding too.
nybf

Post by nybf »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:19 pm
nybf wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm

A comment about the author of the article potentially being an idiot based on the post I was responding too.
Which said he was fired because of racism. Look, you didn't actually read the story. It's OK. You probably would have been better off doing what MJW did and just ignore it because you're wrong. But dig up, stupid. This is working out great.
MJW

Post by MJW »

nybf wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:14 am

Which said he was fired because of racism. Look, you didn't actually read the story. It's OK. You probably would have been better off doing what MJW did and just ignore it because you're wrong. But dig up, stupid. This is working out great.
Nope, I'll own it. Didn't read it. Saw the provocative headline. Also not apologizing. When you craft the headline like that, you're trying to bait rage clicks and/or woke clicks. I guess reposting it but not clicking on it makes me the paradoxical (non) reader.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:48 am

Nope, I'll own it. Didn't read it. Saw the provocative headline. Also not apologizing. When you craft the headline like that, you're trying to bait rage clicks and/or woke clicks. I guess reposting it but not clicking on it makes me the paradoxical (non) reader.
With the Buccaneers, Byron Leftwich is cast as the fall guy

Uh.... OK...
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Yep, my initial post was based on the summary given by the poster here. I have since read the article and I still object to this:
But the firing of Leftwich is another blow for diversity in football operations at the club level. Just facts.
Now, I am making the assumption that the author of the article is concerned with black coaches only when speaking about diversity. It is also a fact that he is making this conclusion without facts. Why do I say that? Well, the replacement has not been hired. If they hire is a women, an asian, or some other group that is not represented on the staff then it will be a diverse hire. Until the new hire is made the statemtent about diversity is a premature, preemptive, assumptive guess at best. At worst, it is an absolute lie.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Apparently, Arians is upset.

link
"Not happy. Very unhappy. Extremely unhappy,” longtime Bucs reporter Rick Stroud said this week of Arians’ mood while speaking on 95.3 WDAE radio in Tampa.
The best part of the article:
The 70-year-old’s contract with the Buccaneers expired after the 2022 season ended, so he is technically no longer a member of the organization. Perhaps the firings hurt his chances for a return.
After the disaster we had as a season I think it is safe to ask... are you upset because they fooled you or upset because your choices sucked?
Last edited by 13F11B on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

13F11B wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:29 pm Apparently, Arians is upset.

link
"Not happy. Very unhappy. Extremely unhappy,” longtime Bucs reporter Rick Stroud said this week of Arians’ mood while speaking on 95.3 WDAE radio in Tampa.
The best part of the article:
“Not happy. Very unhappy. Extremely unhappy,” longtime Bucs reporter Rick Stroud said this week of Arians’ mood while speaking on 95.3 WDAE radio in Tampa.
After the disaster we had as a season I think it is safe to ask... are you upset because they fooled you or upset because your choices sucked?
From the article:

Arians did not comment himself, but he was vocal about keeping continuity with the team when he stepped down, saying last March that remaining in the front office was a way to “control the narrative.”

“I control the narrative right now,” Arians said at the time. “I don’t control it next February because [if] (Tom) Brady gets hurt, we go 10-7 and it’s an open interview for the job … I got 31 [coaches’] families that depend on me. My wife is big on not letting all those families down.”

This is what I’ve always said with Arians. He’s cast as “a straight shooter” when the reality is that is always behind closed doors 1v1 with people.

His media/public-facing M.O.? Absolute political operator who is always cognizant of and trying to control the narrative.

* Did it before he came here with Jameis (casting his coaching as the problem and liberating Licht from any ownership of the results).

* Did it with Jameis during ‘19.

* Did it with Jameis after final game ‘19.

* Did it with Devin White over and over (including draft day).

* Did it with DSmith.

* Did it with SMB.

* Did it with Ronald Jones (until it became clear, like Jameis, that he wasn’t what Licht et al had hoped for/built up).

* Did it with his coaches while casting blame elsewhere (ignorance of the public or having Brady shoulder more blame because he had a level of immunity to the impacts of criticism).

On and on. Savvy Political Operator.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Narrative there means literally what comes next in the story (do his people, who he had repeatedly credited with lifting him up, have a job).
It doesn't mean "the story people tell".

But sure, let's go with this new conspiracy of Arians being football Dick Cheney because he...

*checks notes*

Maximized and won with players fans said sucked and wanted cut...
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 pm Narrative there means literally what comes next in the story (do his people, who he had repeatedly credited with lifting him up, have a job).
It doesn't mean "the story people tell".

But sure, let's go with this new conspiracy of Arians being football Dick Cheney because he...

*checks notes*

Maximized and won with players fans said sucked and wanted cut...
I don't know what to think. Too much smoke out there to get a clear picture.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I don't think it needs to be so cloak and dagger, hero and villain.

Sometimes a bunch of good dudes come together at the right time to put on a freaking show. And now that time has passed.