Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
acmillis

Re: Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

Post by acmillis »

Go Fund me is up over 4.2M as of right now...Amazing!
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:01 pm
Heisenberg wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:49 pm I saw the tweet before all the backlash started and didn't think much of it. Are people taking the "irrelevant" part the wrong way? How I read it, he was saying everything game/competition wise is now deservingly irrelevant because a man's life was on the line. I didn't see it as him saying it undeservingly took a back seat due to the situation. And I don't like skip at all.
Exactly how I read it. "How will the NFL reschedule this game if they postpone it? Regardless, it's irrelevant in the face of a young man's health."
Just sounds like thinking out loud. Hell most this board was discussing possible rescheduling and outcome scenarios while it was all happening and basically saying the same. It probably sums up most fans thoughts.. Not finishing/counting a game in week 16 could have a huge impact on playoff scenerois, but at the end of the day it's irrelevant.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Bills-Bengals game will not be resumed this week. Per source
nybf

Post by nybf »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:33 pm Bills-Bengals game will not be resumed this week. Per source
Is your source schefter?

Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

That's it, then.

I think the fairest thing to do is scratch the game from the schedule, not a tie, not a win for both teams. Don't count it at all.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Make it a tie/draw. For my OCD pls.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Wow, that's crazy. To be fair, this is an unprecedented event, so it should probably be handled in a bespoke manner.

Just not having the game count and moving on results in no changes to standings, right? If so, this is the best outcome competitively.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:47 pm Make it a tie/draw. For my OCD pls.
They haven't made a decision on cancelling it or making it a tie as they want to see how/if it impacts playoff seeding according to some random talking heads.

Like if the Ravens win/Bengals lose next week or Bengals win and Chiefs/Bills lose...those would be the most dramatic shifts that a tie or no game would impact.

Bengals with a tie/no game would be a 3 seed, but could be a 1...also if Bengals lose next week and Ravens win...they could make the playoffs if the game is played.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:49 pm Wow, that's crazy. To be fair, this is an unprecedented event, so it should probably be handled in a bespoke manner.

Just not having the game count and moving on results in no changes to standings, right? If so, this is the best outcome competitively.
No, Bills no longer control their 1 seed destiny with a tie/no game . Bengals don't have a shot at 1 seed with tie/no game.
Snake

Post by Snake »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:50 pm
They haven't made a decision on cancelling it or making it a tie as they want to see how/if it impacts playoff seeding according to some random talking heads.

Like if the Ravens win/Bengals lose next week or Bengals win and Chiefs/Bills lose...those would be the most dramatic shifts that a tie or no game would impact.

Bengals with a tie/no game would be a 3 seed, but could be a 1...also if Bengals lose next week and Ravens win...they could make the playoffs if the game is played.
Thanks for that breakdown. This is not a light decision, it seems.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:51 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:50 pm

Thanks for that breakdown. This is not a light decision, it seems.
Again, if it impacts seeding as such...they could play it after week 18...they have a week of flexibility because of the Pro Bowl.

If it's cancelled, we'll hear about it. The NFL is leaving the door open for obvious reasons.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

nybf, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Go back to BucZone, dipshit. This is not the time or place to cause trouble like you usually do here.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:51 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:49 pm Wow, that's crazy. To be fair, this is an unprecedented event, so it should probably be handled in a bespoke manner.

No, Bills no longer control their 1 seed destiny with a tie/no game . Bengals don't have a shot at 1 seed with tie/no game.
How do the Bills not control their destiny though? They're 12-3, giving them the same wins as the Chiefs, but a head to head tiebreaker. If they win next week, they have 13 wins and still the head to head. They'll have the higher win % if it's calculated off 16 games and the same if it's based on 17 games, which again goes to the Bills because of head to head.

Now the Bengals are fucked I believe, which sucks. But not sure what else can be done.

Somebody is going to get the short end of the stick here no matter what decision is made.

edit: Nvm, forgot the Chiefs are up to 13 wins now. Forget everything I said.
Last edited by BucsNBills on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

There's no more time.

If they were to play on Thursday, the very last time they could have done so, then the 3 games in 10 days could still have happened. The only way you could make it work again is if they moved the final-season games to Saturday and their postponed game to the following Wednesday, and then wild card weekend gets two games on Monday. And the rest of the wild card weekend is whacked.

No, it's just too hard. Cancel it like the NFL canceled one game in 1963 and move on, playoff implications be damned.
Last edited by Xandtar on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:56 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:51 pm

How do the Bills not control their destiny though? They're 12-3, giving them the same wins as the Chiefs, but a head to head tiebreaker. If they win next week, they have 13 wins and still the head to head. They'll have the higher win % if it's calculated off 16 games and the same if it's based on 17 games, which again goes to the Bills because of head to head.

Now the Bengals are fucked I believe, which sucks. But not sure what else can be done.

Somebody is going to get the short end of the stick here no matter what decision is made.
Chiefs are 13-3...1 more win gives them the 1 seed.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

So do season ticket holders get a refund if they game is not made up? So many irrelevant questions.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Does it affect home field advantage

Edit: nvm USC answered my question
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:56 pm There's no more time.

If they were to play on Thursday, the very last time they could have done so, then the 3 games in 10 days could still have happened. The only way this could work is if they moved the week 17 games to Saturday and their Week 16 game to the following Wednesday, and then wild card weekend gets one game on Monday. But that's 3 games in nine days, which is totally ridiculous. Just don't count it and let the chips fall where they may.
They could play it after week 18 as stated before.

Especially if it impacts whether the Ravens can make the playoffs or the 1 seed. It hasn't been cancelled...that doesn't mean they will play it after week 18, but they are keeping options open.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:57 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:56 pm

Chiefs are 13-3...1 more win gives them the 1 seed.
Yeah just realized that. Fuck that sucks.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

acmillis wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:57 pm So do season ticket holders get a refund if they game is not made up? So many irrelevant questions.
No...I saw something on that earlier.

edit: The team could do it, which we've seen before, but they don't have to.
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

There is one other option.

The Bengals were ahead.

Give them the win and move on. Yes the Bills fans will howl, but they were in fact behind when the game was called.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

You know what, it sucks to say, but if they're not going to play the game, then maybe the best option for competitions sake is to go ahead and base the game on the current score. Bills lose, Bengals win.

Yes, that sucks for the Bills, which is my AFC team and the club I'm rooting for if the Bucs get eliminated. But this way the Bengals aren't screwed out of the #1 seed, the Bills can STILL get the #1, and KC is forced to play for the win against the Raiders.

It might be the least shitty outcome here.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm There is one other option.

The Bengals were ahead.

Give them the win and move on. Yes the Bills fans will howl, but they were in fact behind when the game was called.
That could drop the Bills to the 3 seed with a loss next week. Anything final has to be approved by the NFLPA...with the Ravens playoff viability and seeds on the table...it'll be interesting to see what actually takes place.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

If the Chiefs and Bengals win next week, it's moot. There's no reason for a make up. Things will be locked in.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:54 pm nybf, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Go back to BucZone, dipshit. This is not the time or place to cause trouble like you usually do here.
Why would you put someone on ignore, then quote and respond to what you are ignoring?

I don't think you understand the function.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:03 pm You know what, it sucks to say, but if they're not going to play the game, then maybe the best option for competitions sake is to go ahead and base the game on the current score. Bills lose, Bengals win.

Yes, that sucks for the Bills, which is my AFC team and the club I'm rooting for if the Bucs get eliminated. But this way the Bengals aren't screwed out of the #1 seed, the Bills can STILL get the #1, and KC is forced to play for the win against the Raiders.

It might be the least shitty outcome here.
You may be right, but I really don't think the Bills AND the Bengals will be the same after last night. Matter of fact, I don't think any team will be the same. I've seen players give and take hits and get seriously maimed or even paralyzed, but I have never seen a player in danger of dying as result of a hit.... until last night. Both Goodell and Smith need to sit down and think really hard about how to proceed on this one.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

I would imagine the NFL officials, the NFLPA, and the GMs of the Bengals, Bills, Ravens, and Patriots are all in a conference call as I type this.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:54 pm nybf, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.

Why would you put someone on ignore, then quote and respond to what you are ignoring?

Oh I understood…

I don’t understand why he keep quoting me when he know he’s on ignored. I don’t talk to toxic people like him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:05 pm

The Bengals were ahead.

That could drop the Bills to the 3 seed with a loss next week. Anything final has to be approved by the NFLPA...with the Ravens playoff viability and seeds on the table...it'll be interesting to see what actually takes place.
Spot on
Kress

Post by Kress »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:12 pm
Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 pm

Oh I understood…

I don’t understand why he keep quoting me when he know he’s on ignored. I don’t talk to toxic people like him.

But..... you did. You did exactly that.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Leave the game as if it was never played whatsoever, use winning percentage instead of record to determine seeding.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Yeah I'm racking my brain trying to think of ways the NFL can salvage the game but I'm coming up blank. I really do think the cleanest way to handle this is just give the Bengals the W. Move KC's game to Sunday and move a meaningless game like the Bucs to Saturday.

I was even thinking they could delay the playoffs a week and let the Bills and Bengals play next week but that would be crazy from every angle.

And trying to force the Bills and Bengals to fit in a game between this Sunday and next weekends playoffs would just be adding insult to injury(no pun intended).
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

The best reason for just giving the Bengals the win is, the players took the field. The legalities of saying the game never happened is that all contracts paid by the game (and aren't they all) is going to be a non-starter with the NFLPA. The practicalities of trying to play on a four-day break so close to the beginning of the playoffs not only involve getting agreements with stadiums and hotels who might have had that day booked for other uses, not to mention airline chaos, even if the NFLPA agreed that it wouldn't be a safety issue. Finally, the moral issue of trying to play this game when no one wants to, even with the stakes as high as they are, will not change from late last night to the middle of next week. Declaring a tie or a double win when the game wasn't tied and neither side had actually won might require an emergency meeting of owners.

It's a triple-headed hydra which is best resolved by saying the game is over and the Bengals won, and the owners passing a permanent what-if-the-game-is-called-by-the-NFL-Commisar-after-it-starts rule in their next big meeting.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Kress wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:15 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:12 pm

Oh I understood…

But..... you did. You did exactly that.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

The Bengals were ahead.

What is the cutoff for a "complete" game?
Some sports (NASCAR for instance had rules for calling a race due to weather, and if the race was over 50% complete, the leader at that time was awarded the race. This was sometime ago, when racing wasn't all butchered up like it is now.

Does the NFL have a similar rule?