Prayers up for Damar Hamlin

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
uscbucsfan

Re: Prayers up for Demar Hamlin

Post by uscbucsfan »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:09 pm Even if they wanted to reschedule this game, and they damn well shouldn't, when exactly would that get done? Sometimes in the middle of the week, and then they have to play again on Sunday? After watching that happen? No fucking way.

Call it a tie and go home to hug your loved ones.
This just isn't realistic.

It's fine to say now in the moment, but this game has large financial implications for the teams and the league. Almost 100% chance they play.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Thursday night football has been a thing for years. They’ll okay tomorrow and Sunday because money
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Cheb wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:09 pm Even if they wanted to reschedule this game, and they damn well shouldn't, when exactly would that get done? Sometimes in the middle of the week, and then they have to play again on Sunday? After watching that happen? No fucking way.

100% depends on what the teams decide to do and frankly all of the marbles are in their hands. If the league reschedules and they refuse to play what are they going to do?
Snake

Post by Snake »

If it was an underlying heart thing, I’d be curious to see the league’s response going forward. I thought they were pretty thorough about that stuff. Guess we’ll find out.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:08 pm
Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:07 pm

At this point in the season I don’t think there is any way to reschedule except to play it tomorrow. That brings into consideration player safety with playing games on Tuesday and Sunday. I think a tie is the only outcome the NFL has.
They played multiple Tuesday reschedules last season.
I forgot about that. I don’t think it would work here from a PR standpoint. They’re dealing with the world seeing a player look lifeless on the field. The backlash would be unimaginable.
Snake

Post by Snake »

This one hits different

The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:13 pm If it was an underlying heart thing, I’d be curious to see the league’s response going forward. I thought they were pretty thorough about that stuff. Guess we’ll find out.
We are thorough as hell with that stuff. But things can be missed. Defects can be so minor that they're not detectable until they cause a problem.

Remember Gaines Adams had a heart condition that killed him after he was done with football at like 28 that he didn't know about.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

If Hamlin dies this game will absolutely never be played. I pray to God this doesn’t happen.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:13 pm If it was an underlying heart thing, I’d be curious to see the league’s response going forward. I thought they were pretty thorough about that stuff. Guess we’ll find out.
IMO the league shouldn’t let player with heart disease play at all. Too much risk

Praying for Demar Hamlin..
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:11 pm

This just isn't realistic.

It's fine to say now in the moment, but this game has large financial implications for the teams and the league. Almost 100% chance they play.
It's the second to last week of the season, and both teams play in six days' time. Does the NFL want to force both teams to play tomorrow, despite what they just witnessed? Do they wait longer, forcing them to play two games in five days, maybe in an even shorter span?

The smart play is to call it a tie and move on.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I’ve never seen this many commentators choking back tears. Fans in the stands were sobbing. This is unreal.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

If he doesn't have some underlying heart issue, then I guess it's just some one in a billion type situation where he got hit just right to cause some kind of internal damage to his heart?

I mean how hard would someone have to be hit in the chest for a healthy heart to just stop "naturally"?

It also wasn't THAT big of a collision. It wasn't like Vita VEA ran full speed into someone's chest and drove them into the field or something.

You just think it has to be some undiagnosed heart issue... But then how does that get missed with all the medicals and physicals have to go through?

Sheesh. What an absolute unmitigated disaster.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:13 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:08 pm

They played multiple Tuesday reschedules last season.
I forgot about that. I don’t think it would work here from a PR standpoint. They’re dealing with the world seeing a player look lifeless on the field. The backlash would be unimaginable.
It all depends what happens to Hamlin. Like said above, if Hamlin dies, they are not playing this game. No way, no how. So the league has to consider what to do in that situation and how
to move forward.
Last edited by Navybuc on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

So one of my best friends is with a MLS team and he just sent me this, his wife's friend works at UC Med.

Edit: This friend is the head equipment manager with a MLS team and not someone who would say something like that frivolously.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:18 pm If he doesn't have some underlying heart issue, then I guess it's just some one in a billion type situation where he got hit just right to cause some kind of internal damage to his heart?

I mean how hard would someone have to be hit in the chest for a healthy heart to just stop "naturally"?

It also wasn't THAT big of a collision. It wasn't like Vita VEA ran full speed into someone's chest and drove them into the field or something.

You just think it has to be some undiagnosed heart issue... But then how does that get missed with all the medicals and physicals have to go through?

Sheesh. What an absolute unmitigated disaster.
Take this with a grain of salt, as I am an engineer, not a cardiologist.

But as I understand it, if you get a sharp blow to the chest and it hits you just at the right nanosecond of your cardio-electric cycle on your EKG, it can cause the heart to go into a lethal arrhythmia that can kill you if left untreated. That would be my presumption for what happened to Mr Hamlin. But thankfully he got an AED which should have shocked his heart back into the correct rhythm (which we can assume is true given that he has a pulse), but the fact that he isn't breathing on his own isn't great.

And if he had an undiagnosed enlarged heart, like Gaines Adams did, maybe that contributed?

I ultimately don't know.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm So one of my best friends is with a MLS team and he just sent me this, his wife's friend works at UC Med.

Edit: This friend is the head equipment manager with a MLS team and not someone who would say something like that frivolously.
This is actually worst possible news correct?

Well, between this and a cardio issue

Edit: unless they’re just ruling stuff out first
Last edited by Snake on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:24 pm
The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm So one of my best friends is with a MLS team and he just sent me this, his wife's friend works at UC Med.

This is actually worst possible news correct?

Well, between this and a cardio issue
It could mean a number of things. Anoxic brain injury, spinal injury. All that tells you is that his heart must be stable.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Skip having millions of followers and then refusing to follow a single person back is just very, very Skip.

It’s skip’s world. We’re just living in it.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Dez Bryant said it best

FUCK YOU Skip
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:30 pm Skip having millions of followers and then refusing to follow a single person back is just very, very Skip.

Yeah he prolly just lost his job. At least I hope so. Hate that clown.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I started watching a recording of the Challenge. Any particular reason we've pivoted to hating on Skip? Not that I'm opposed to it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:30 pm Skip having millions of followers and then refusing to follow a single person back is just very, very Skip.

He's lucky he works for Fox. He has free reign to cowardly tweet and say whatever he pleases and has no one who will check him like he did everywhere else.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

So I wonder how long it takes in a situation like this for the doctors working on him to determine that he's effectively brain dead and beyond help.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:33 pm I started watching a recording of the Challenge. Any particular reason we've pivoted to hating on Skip? Not that I'm opposed to it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:33 pm I started watching a recording of the Challenge. Any particular reason we've pivoted to hating on Skip? Not that I'm opposed to it.
Someone here posted a skip tweet then deleted their post.

Skip said something like not playing this game is rendering the regular season irrelevant.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm
For context that was tweeted before Hamlin even made it to the hospital.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I deleted it because I thought it’s not appropriate here
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm So I wonder how long it takes in a situation like this for the doctors working on him to determine that he's effectively brain dead and beyond help.
We likely won’t hear anything until sometime tomorrow.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:36 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm

For context that was tweeted before Hamlin even made it to the hospital.
Yep.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

1st time I've ever seen him apologize for something he tweeted. He no doubt got a call from someone important.

Snake

Post by Snake »

BucsNBills wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:35 pm So I wonder how long it takes in a situation like this for the doctors working on him to determine that he's effectively brain dead and beyond help.
Reading this just Makes me want to cry tbh.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I honestly think he's trying to say that the injury was so bad, that it renders everything else irrelevant. Which is true. Nothing else matters at this point than that young man's life.

Skip just worded it as awkwardly as possible.

And this is coming from a lifelong Skip Bayless hater.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Per his agent

No clue how good this is for him.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:38 pm 1st time I've ever seen him apologize for something he tweeted. He no doubt got a call from someone important.

I can actually see what he means by re-reading his first tweet. But he should’ve been a lot more clear. Seems like he wanted the troll potential and the out with the vaguery.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

This is just horrific and heartbreaking. My heart and compassion is with him and his family 😢
I said what I said