Soccer Thread

acmillis

Re: Soccer Thread

Post by acmillis »

..."Bud Zero will still be available..."

If you drink a ton, you still get drunk, right?
Kress

Post by Kress »

acmillis wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:51 pm ..."Bud Zero will still be available..."

If you drink a ton, you still get drunk, right?

I know of a bunch of fraternity guys who try to do that once. They did the math on the relatively miniscule alcohol content and decided to go for it.

I bet that was a busy day at the urinal.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

USA USA USA!!!!!
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

We really dominated that first half...now let's not choke this away.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

...and Wales dominates the second half and we make a couple reallllly dumb mental errors and only come away with one point.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

ManU for sale?
5 minute read November 23, 2022 9:51 AM EST Last Updated 7 min ago
Manchester United owners consider selling Premier League icon
Reuters

Nov 23 (Reuters) - Manchester United's U.S. owners have begun looking at options for the 20-time English soccer champions, including a new investment or a potential sale, 17 years after the Glazer family bought the club.

The Glazer family is working with financial advisers on the process, which could lead to a partial sale of the Old Trafford club or investments including stadium and infrastructure redevelopment, the club said in a statement.

Manchester United (MANU.N) fans have been clamouring for a change of ownership and the Glazers have been the target of intense criticism as the team, which has a record 13 English Premier League titles, have gone five years without winning a trophy. The last silverware they won was the Europa League and League Cup back in 2017.

"As we seek to continue building on the club’s history of success, the board has authorized a thorough evaluation of strategic alternatives," Avram Glazer and Joel Glazer, executive co-chairmen and directors of United, said in the statement.

"We will evaluate all options to ensure that we best serve our fans and that Manchester United maximizes the significant growth opportunities available to the club today and in the future," the statement said.

Its sale may attract high-profile investors.

In August, British billionaire and a long-standing fan of the club, Jim Ratcliffe had expressed interest in buying United, Reuters reported. At the time, Elon Musk had also joked about planning to buy the club. Chemical firm INEOS, where Ratcliffe is chairman, declined to comment on Wednesday.

Manchester United shares jumped as much as 13% in early New York trade, building on the more than 14% rise after news of the sales process on Tuesday afternoon.

The company was worth $2.5 billion at the close of U.S. trading on Tuesday, but the shares are only slightly above their 2012 IPO price of $14.

The club's capitalisation as a public company peaked at $4.3 billion in 2018.

Continues: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 11-23-2022
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Just watched Wales-Iran. First thought that came to mind was how the heck did we lose to Wales? They’re terrible. But I guess the good news is it takes some pressure off today. All we really have to do is beat Iran and we should advance barring craziness. Big if though because not sure we have a better team than Iran.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:50 am Just watched Wales-Iran. First thought that came to mind was how the heck did we lose to Wales? They’re terrible. But I guess the good news is it takes some pressure off today. All we really have to do is beat Iran and we should advance barring craziness. Big if though because not sure we have a better team than Iran.
Odds makers didn't think the US team was much better than Wales. They only had us as 1/2 point favorites in that match.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

How ugly of a loss are we gonna suffer today against Airy Cain and his mates?
Snake

Post by Snake »

acmillis wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:39 pm How ugly of a loss are we gonna suffer today against Airy Cain and his mates?
3-0.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Just feel like an avalanche is coming….hope I’m wrong.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Navybuc wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:23 pm Just feel like an avalanche is coming….hope I’m wrong.
England is living in that last third.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Snake wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:26 pm
Navybuc wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:23 pm Just feel like an avalanche is coming….hope I’m wrong.
England is living in that last third.
Playing better now. Getting a few chances.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Another draw. Hopefully, the US can beat Iran and move on to the quarters.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:24 pm Another draw. Hopefully, the US can beat Iran and move on to the quarters.
It’s a must win. Good test for what is considered their most talented team ever.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Wasn’t expecting a draw, but no matter the outcome of that game, Iran is a must win. Just glad we didn’t get embarrassed
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

US Advances! Nice win.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Not sure we can beat Netherlands….but sweet to at least make it to the final 16. Didn’t like how we played in second half, though. Took our foot off the pedal and Gave them too many chances.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I think making it out of the group stage was the best, realistic scenario. Now, I think we'll lose, but getting blown out would be a disappointment. It's been a fun ride.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

This is what sportsmanship looks like...setting aside politics and consoling the other team after a hard-fought match.
World Cup 2022: U.S. players consoled Iranian players following group stage win

Lost in the tenseness of the United States' 1-0 win over Iran Tuesday is what happened in the moments after the final whistle sounded.

American players embraced their opponents, both on the pitch and with support online, following the victory that sent the U.S. to the Round of 16 while sending the Iranians back home.

Antonee Robinson consoled fellow defensemen Abolfazl Jalali and Ramin Rezaeian, while Josh Sargent, DeAndre Yedlin and Timothy Weah knelt with Saeid Ezatolahi immediately after the game ended.

[My note: Not sure what the "potentially sensitive content" was supposed to be.]

This transcended traditional post-game sportsmanship or the proverbial handshake. It looked like genuine human connections.

Weah explained the emotions in an interview with Fox Sports' Martin Rogers and later posted on his Instagram story how much he respected the Iranian team and the pride they showed for their country.
"I think the United States and Iran have had so many issues politically and I just wanted to show that we are all human beings and we all love each other," Weah said. "I just wanted to spread peace and love and show him we come from different backgrounds, we grew up differently. He is still my family, he is still my brother and I love him the same way as the guys I grew up with."
The Iranian team appeared to be under a lot of pressure at the World Cup as nationwide protests have rocked the country over the government's treatment of women, especially following the death of Mahsa Amini, a young woman who was arrested for allegedly wearing a hijab too loosely and who later died in police custody. The team voiced its support for the Iranian people before its match with England and then refused to sing their country's national anthem at the match.

Tensions rose even higher before the players even hit the field. U.S. Soccer faced backlash after it altered the Iranian flag in support of the protests in Iran, which led to and politically charged news conference for head coach Gregg Berhalter and midfielder Tyler Adams. Berhalter apologized for the alteration and said he “had no idea about what U.S. Soccer put out." Iran also reportedly threatened the families of Iranian players as well if they didn't "behave" against the U.S., according to CNN.

But when the game ended, the players just wanted to share a bit of humanity with each other.
"I just really feel for any team," Sargent told Fox Sports. " ... Everybody is human, obviously. We’ve all been working our asses off to get to this important point of our lives. This is the pinnacle of everybody’s career. I know it is not an easy situation when you lose."
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/8lW8I ... 495559994a
Antonee Robinson was one of the American players to console his opponent after their World Cup match with Iran. (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)
Don't tread on me
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

acmillis wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:42 am I think making it out of the group stage was the best, realistic scenario. Now, I think we'll lose, but getting blown out would be a disappointment. It's been a fun ride.
Would love the chance to see us play Argentina. I know we would get our asses kicked by them maybe as bad as Costa Rica did by Spain, but just getting to that point would be pretty damn cool.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

World Cup has been crazy! I’ve never seen anything like this before
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

10 AM Eastern US vs. Netherlands. Get your crazy on and support the US.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Getting their asses handed to them.
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I think this result is what most people thought it would be
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

acmillis wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:54 am I think this result is what most people thought it would be
Yep.
Don't tread on me
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

(s)PAIN
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Crazy ending!!! Brazil eliminated
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Wow Morocco. They are becoming Giant Slayers. First Belgium, then Spain. Now Portugal.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

So Argentina wins on penalties, Messi finally gets his WC, blah, blah, blah. This post is a tribute to the true GOAT of the footballing world.

Edit: I highly suggest you folks watch the video, not only is it funny it's kind of true.
Last edited by The Outsider on Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The hand ball in the box was infuriating. Good for Messi to win one.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I’ve seen a lot of soccer in my life. That’s up there as one of the greatest games ever. Just hate that it had to end in PKs. Wish they could have gone to golden goal there.
These Are The Days

That was insane
These Are The Days

The Outsider wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:59 pm So Argentina wins on penalties, Messi finally gets his WC, blah, blah, blah. This post is a tribute to the true GOAT of the footballing world.

This is nothing compared to the bitterness that will be had in Arsenal not winning the league after the start they've had
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

These Are The Days wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:12 pm
The Outsider wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:59 pm So Argentina wins on penalties, Messi finally gets his WC, blah, blah, blah. This post is a tribute to the true GOAT of the footballing world.

This is nothing compared to the bitterness that will be had in Arsenal not winning the league after the start they've had
Pfft, we have Artekkers. We ain't losing. This isn't like the season Ozil had Henry's assist record in the bag by Christmas and then the whole team forgot how to score goals. (In reality we were over-relying on Giroud who got a bit banged up and had a goal drought, then got hurt for real, then we had to play Danny Welbeck, bless his heart he did always deliver against Man U, and I think our other striker was fucking Yaya Sanogo.

Real talk though? If Giroud had any pace what-so-ever he'd be among the best strikers of his generation. One of the best at holding up play you'll ever see, great passer (watching he and Ozil flick the ball to each other was a thing of beauty), he was strong, and he was extremely technical. He just suffered from consistency issues and being the slowest player on the pitch.

I think even Per Mertesacker was faster than good ol' OIly G.